Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Hunting Contests...

Old 02-15-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Deer Hunting Contests...

I was watchin Whitetail Revolution tonight on Versus and they had a little deal with Larry Weishoon(spelling?) and Ron Spomer about hunting contests. I'm not talking about your local big buck bar pool, but actual, sponsored and sanctioned deer hunting contests. What do you guys think about this. One the same note what do ya'll think about the guy who tried to introduce a deer hunting contest using tranq. darts in high fence ranches?

I dont agree with any of it. To me it's just not what hunting is about. I see why someone might do organize someting like that ($$$) but I still can't agree morally or ethically with it.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:57 PM

Default RE: Deer Hunting Contests...

Now im ALL for the whitetail revolution contest because its actual hunting. The goal is to shot the oldest buck that you can find. Its set up where you dont know where the deer are going to be. You get on chance and one chance only. U just cant make mistakes. But the tranq, thing is straight up stupid
Old 02-15-2007, 09:45 PM

can you explain the whole process of how the W.R. contest hunts go? I don't really know much about the contest itself, and I'm curious.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO - if its free range, fair chase, ethical, and absolutely no electronic tracking/surveillance then I would be ok with it.
However, it is already a fine line for hunting shows to walk between ethical hunting and needing footage (money). That line could easily become finer and finer, or evenbegin to migrate,as you increase the dollar value on the other side.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't be any more against a buck contest than a bass tournament..... right? Now the darting BS is an entirely different topic and the hunting community has already voiced it's opinion on that issue and nipped it in the bud!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as I can tell it is a contest where they don't actually win anything except bragging rights except that these guys have been hunting whitetails for decades so they don't even really brag. It is something like if you and 2 or 3 other guys went to deer camp for a week and had a contest with who could get the heaviest or oldest or biggest rack etc. deer. The contest with Larry Weishuhn and Ron Spomer also showed two different hunting styles. Larry hunts from a stand and Ron likes to still hunt. WR has had other contests with these two guys plus other guys that have been in the "whitetail industry" for decades.

There is no scouting/guides/fences etc. for these contests. These guys are basically just put into an area and have to find the deer using the skills they have developed over their decades of hunting. This IMO is the way hunting "contests" should be done.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:39 AM

yeah I agree, if there is a right way to do a hunting contest, I believe thats how it should be done. So as far as it sounds, it seems almost like the same format as a Bass Tourney, just without cash prizes. But they take the group of hunters, split them up on a property and let them loose. This sound right to everyone? Like I said, I don't really know a wholo lot about this Tourney that Wieshun does, I just want to get my facts straight before I start judging it/him.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

if its all fair chase and legal, i dont have a problem with it. I personally and a SUPER competitive person and will compete with anyone doing anything. so IMO if its fair and legal, go for it