Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3-D Target Decoys?

Old 02-15-2007, 06:00 PM

Default 3-D Target Decoys?

This may belong in the gear review forum, but here goes. I'm going to buy a 3-d target like the GlenDel or Delta. The GlenDel is nice but a little pricey. Still looked like the best option until I thought about hunting over a decoy. Why not kill two birds with one stone? The Delta decoys are lighter and would be easier to carry into the field. Any reasons not to go this route? Anybody else do the same thing? Did I just prove that stupid questions exist?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 3-D Target Decoys?

i have brought my delta deer into the woods with me.

the only thing i had was a hunter come stalking in after he saw it on the way to his stand, and when he got about 30 yards away, noticed the rings on it and thats about the time that i whistled and he saw me, waved, and went on his way.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:13 PM

Yeah, I thought about that, but I'll be hunting private land and the location is not visible from the road. Anybody getting that close will have some 'splainin' to do.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:22 PM

im planning to do the same thing because sometime the deer are weary when tryin to cross the fence and i think if they see a decoy it might just give him that extra boost to cross giving me a shot with my bow i was thinkin of using backyard buck or riverbottom buck i think by delta and they would also make a good target during the day too
Old 02-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

I took my delta out a few times this year. Might want to buy another insert and put it in when you are planning to use it for a decoy. I have a nice big camo bag that it fits in perfect. You can leave the horns on or off. I put little white gun cleaning patches on the ears and tail, then put a little scent on them. Looks a little more realistics with a slight breeze. It you have a long walk it can seem to get a little heavy, with carring your bow and everything else you need for the hunt. May also want to put the metal ground stakes in a towel or sock to keep them from clinking together. I took it out a few times this year, but didn't see any deer on those days. I think if I can get it in there at the right time it may just do the trick.
Goodluck
Crutch
Old 02-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

I tried that with my Delta decoy this past season, even when I removed the legs to simulate a bedded doe the deer wouldn't come near it despite the estrous urine rag tied to it.