Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Choosing a treestand

Old 02-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Spike

Default Choosing a treestand

Hi everyone,

Next fall I'm going to be investing in my first treestand. I hunt on all public lands, and there is definitely concern for the stand to be stolen if it is the type you attach right to the tree and leave. I am seeing alot of advertisements/commercials for Gorilla and Summit climbing treestands and they seem like a great idea. The only problem i would face is that the trees around the areas I hunt are fairly "branchy".

For these climbing treestands, it would only make sense to me that the tree has to be essentially bare up to the height I want to hunt from? Do people just prune up the trees to get to where they want or what? I like the idea of going in and out with my treestand safely with me, and it seems like it would give me essentially unlimited different places to hunt, I just don't know about the tree situation? Any input on this would be nice.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:59 PM

Default RE: Choosing a treestand

I own a Summit Viper. Very good climber. Find trees that require as little trimming as possible.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

A climber is definitely the way to go. But on public land I highly doubt it would be legal to cut any branches. Scout out some climbable trees where you want to hunt before the season starts.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

as superRedHawk said most places damaging trees is illegal on public land. cant cut branches, lanes, screw into trees or anything. around here that means climbing oak trees or other trees with tough thick bark. damage that cambian layer and they can and will fine you. thats here atleast. and alot of public land your not allowed to leave stands hanging..or only during the season etc...check into your laws and regs.

i have a summit viper SS. i absolutely love it. easy to pack and carry. light enough to carry. quiet, easy to climb and descend..and comfortable...if its a slow day i have a heck of a time stayin awake!! and i feel 10000% comfortable and safe. i like the wrap around bar for climbing and descending(Sit and climb) and makes me feel secure and also rest my bow on it so its there and ready to roll..
Old 02-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choosing a tree stand

I like a climber for public land goes in and out with me . You state the trees are very branchy in your area than you might want to take in a light hang on like a lone wolf and some climbing sticks .
A few here swear by them for versatility

[/align]
Old 02-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a summit viper stand an a cobra by summit, I have been know to hide my stands in falling tree branches covered with limbs an leaves or pine trees, switch cane etc.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

i love my climber, but i know that unless you're hunting in a place that has a lot of very straight, branchless trees, a portable lock on stand would be better.

scout out the property first and check to see what kind of trees are prominent on the property. then make your decision.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Fork Horn

whatever you get, either take it with you everytime you leave, or put 1/2 a dozen locks on it. I had a summit climber AND a double bull blind stolen on the opening day of gun season this year.[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]and they wereon MYproperty. I had been bowhunting outta my climber the day before and had planned on returing for the next evening so i left it. When i got there the nex night....well you can figure it out. So i rushed to where my bouble bull was, it was gone too. I had set it out and brushed it in so that the deer wouldn't be bothered by it when i was ready to hunt it. THat was not a good day...
Old 02-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

coming into the woods for a nice relaxin day afield and finding your stand stolen.... thats just about the worst feeling you can get...
Old 02-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Spike

thats the main reason I would think a climber would be the only logical way to go - i don't want anything stolen, so i want to be able to easily take it with me each day. there seems to bea few arseholes around where i hunt. They actually destroyed my friends ground blind on more than one occasion just last season for no apparent reason (jealous of hunting location i presume?), so i wouldn't put it past them to steal a treestand.

I'm sure there are areas around that would work great for a climber. Whatever stand i get i would be taking it with me each time i leave, as the money is worth more than the effort put into getting it set up, but i definitely don't want to have to take apart ladders every evening/morning after im done hunting. I guess I'm going to look into the Summit series of climbers. Seem to be very nice rigs, and i could order them out of the Cabelas catalog i have.

Quick Reply: Choosing a treestand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.