Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Better Scouting Efficiency

Old 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Better Scouting Efficiency

well i got an idea today and i want your guys opinion on if it will work or not. today i was walkin around in the woods lookin for trails and such when i got an idea.would drawing on a map where trails,scrapes, and other deer sign is in the winter. and then do the same in the summer when they movements have changed.then look at both maps and where there are the same deer sign use that place.by lookin at them both you would no that they use that trail or scape or w/e all year round and then you would have a better idea of where to put up a stand or a blind.well im not that good and writing stuff down and it sounds better in my head but what do you guys think??
Old 02-10-2007, 03:50 PM

Default RE: Better Scouting Efficiency

That is an excellent idea. I would suggest using both topographical and arial photos so you can see how the trails/bedding areas/etc relate to the changes in topography/terrain.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is true also...does a deers pattern chage drasticly(sp) from winter to summer???
Old 02-10-2007, 04:05 PM

It depends on crop rotation and the available food sources.

Our deer patterns here change drastically from the early September season to the late November season.

In September the alfalfa fields haven't gone through the second cutting yet, but come November, the fields are all brown and dead.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes this will be my 2nd year actually scouting and every year the field right next to our timber goes from wheat to beans and switches...hopefully after 2-3 years i will no what they do when the wheat is in and when the beans are in
Old 02-10-2007, 04:12 PM

I have purchased topo software and a gps to make what you are doing easier. When I scoute I save all of my waypoints and name them accordingly. Once I'm done scouting I overlay my waypoints on the topo map. This works very well, I went scouting last weekend and have tons of data on the area I'm planning to hunt this year.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

a gps would help me alot! how much does a good GPS go for and what kind would be the best?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:26 PM

The one I purchased is a lowrance iFinderExpedition. There are others on the market that are just as good without the hefty price. Garmin and Magellan have really good gps units with a decent price (100 to 200) I bought a 200 dollar unit for 110 on clearence at wal-mart. Good luck on finding one, there is so many out there with so many different options.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Site Buck Guru

Now this is what makes a greay hunter. Respect.