Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunt for a Living...how??

Old 02-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunt for a Living...how??

ORIGINAL: tbyrd

There have been a lot of good points made, that I truely did not think of. For now I guess I will work hard so I can hunt harder. Now if I can just find a job that will let me off from Sept. to Feb. and mid April to mid May, ...or at least the weekends.
Travis .... c'mon up to western NY and become a Union Bricklayer ... my buddy does that and he works until November, then he is off for the rest of hunting season ...he starts back up in April ... the sucker makes a good buck too .... the union makes sure of that ...but that is for a different thread

GMMAT .... I totally undertsand what you are saying with the golf thing. ... it was cars for me ... then I ran a dealership .. started hating the things ... I am back to lovin' 'em, now that i am a Teacher .... now I hate kids [8D]... LOL ... just kidding!!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the easiest way to get involved in this industry is the sales aspect of it. If you are a rock solid sales person and consistent top producer, there is room in any industry for you if you make room for yourself.

I seriously looked at several sales positions in this industry over the last 2 years and decided that 99.9% of them weren't for me. I am not saying I won't ever make the jump, but it would be difficult for me to make even a lateral move in my career income wise/job security wise by getting into the outdoor or archery industry. If I keep doing what I am doing now I will retire in my 40's easily with plenty of time left to do whatever I want on my terms. If I stepped into the outdoor/archery industry I would likely never be financially independant. There are a few jobs I would take in this industry if the opportunity presented itself (they all have my resume), however the sales aspect of it is typically going to have you living out of your car and on the road 5+ days a week visiting shops. Sounds like fun butmy family, hunting, and shootingtime is far too valuable for me to live that lifestyle.

I do see myself someday having a small shop in my basement/garage when I retire as a part time thing. I wouldn't ever blow it up into a huge business though, I would rather keep it small and low maintenance and more focused on providing others a place to shoot. I would love to have my own 3D course/field archery course as well as an indoor lane setup and will probably do this someday and would like to become active in coaching and working with kids. This is how I see myself getting into this industry unless one of those very few perfect jobs opens up for me which is unlikely at best.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rick James

There are a few jobs I would take in this industry if the opportunity presented itself (they all have my resume),
Dude, with that mug, how could they resist ya? [8D]

I do see myself someday having a small shop in my basement/garage when I retire as a part time thing. I wouldn't ever blow it up into a huge business though, I would rather keep it small and low maintenance and more focused on providing others a place to shoot. I would love to have my own 3D course/field archery course as well as an indoor lane setup and will probably do this someday and would like to become active in coaching and working with kids. This is how I see myself getting into this industry unless one of those very few perfect jobs opens up for me which is unlikely at best.
Matt ... move to Hamburg NY ...4 hours due west from you ... we need a good pro shop here ... there isn't ANY ...... please???[&o]
Old 02-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

personally, the whole commercial aspect of it really takes something away from hunting....

commercialization of hunting is a double bladed sword. It is what's helped hunting survive this long and helps it continue longer... but in my opinion it has taken alot out of the experience.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: indianahunter83

You might find yourself writing, talking, and going to shows about hunting instead of getting to do the actual thing. Just something to think about!
I know a lot of top guys in the industry and they started this way.

BUT, a lot of them are somewhat unhappy too. There is a ton of travel and a ton of divorce due to their dedication. Some say it is worse than alcoholism interfering with a marriage. The guys I know constantly complian about such things as: not being home to see their children born, not being home for their signifcant others b-day in over five years, not hunting close to home like they used to, not being at home for Holidays, not being able to hunt how they like or shoot what they want, the pushing and pulling of sponsors, etc.......
Old 02-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

Getting in to this business seems to be pretty tough. Finding a respectable outfitter with a good reputation seems to be one of the keys. I have took the advise of the other hunters on this forum and have researched the outfitters that i find interesting. I live in missouri and would like to work in missouri, but i will relocate to where the jobs are. A lot of people say it might not be a good choice to guide for a living, but I have done the real jobs but hunting and guiding are going to be what i persue. Good luck with finding one .