Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunt for a Living...how??

Old 02-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunt for a Living...how??

To succeed in anything you do in life you have to give. You have to give everyday to realize a dream. Most people don't get where they are without a lot of work. And when they're done with that work.. they keep working.

What I am saying is.. if you want to write in the hunting industry first you need to learn to write. Start sending out stories (fiction or non) to outdoor mags., take a course at the local college, study the english language.. learn to write. Then when they say NO.. keep trying and get better as a hunter and a writer. It won't be easy but it can be done.

The best way for a 20 year old pitcher to get noticed is to throw in the 90's. The best way for a hunter to get noticed is to consistantly kill big deer.. bottom line. So that should be your first goal.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:55 PM

I love bowhunting! It has become a huge part of my life. We take tons of trips each year. I am personally just doing it for fun, I enjoy it. I would love to get more women involved in bowhunting. As far as making any money, I could care less. I just want to spread the love of my sport. Just being in the few magazines that I have been in, I have had many women ask me to teach them how to shoot a bow. And that rocks!! Anyway, I have always lived by the thinking that you have to do something you love for your job. If you do that you will be a sucessful person. So good luck to anyone who loves hunting enough to make it their lives work.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a feeling I would have to choose between hunting for a livingor my wife...............

does anyone need a roommate?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

I have a business plan in the works. I owe a lot of it to this board and yes it's mission statement has big deer hunting front and center.

Is it possible? I think so, but only time will tell. You all will know about it or at least I think you will, because I will advertise here first if the price is right.
Yo Fieldmouse .... need a sidekick or partner , I'm looking for part time job
Don't worry, I have you in mind. Either as an investor and/or employee. Both will be great. I've got the rough draft on paper, 10 of the 100 targeted for it, at 50 it's a go. Now all I need is to get the legal stuff taken care of and fine tune it to ensure money can be made for all. I'm excited because my favorite thing about hunting is seeing others shoot their dream.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

I have a business plan in the works. I owe a lot of it to this board and yes it's mission statement has big deer hunting front and center.

Is it possible? I think so, but only time will tell. You all will know about it or at least I think you will, because I will advertise here first if the price is right.
Yo Fieldmouse .... need a sidekick or partner , I'm looking for part time job
Don't worry, I have you in mind. Either as an investor and/or employee. Both will be great. I've got the rough draft on paper, 10 of the 100 targeted for it, at 50 it's a go. Now all I need is to get the legal stuff taken care of and fine tune it to ensure money can be made for all. I'm excited because my favorite thing about hunting is seeing others shoot their dream.
Sounds cool , keep in touch and let me know.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:40 PM

just think of what a permotion would be like lol
Old 02-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

i thought about it...and decided that life aint for me. the second you make it your living the second it means something 100% diffrent and is no longer fun or exciting. its no longer fun and exciting because even though you are hunting.....your trying to make a living. your not out there to have fun....you are out there to essentially kill the buck thats gunna make you a buck. dont kill him...its gunna be a long winter with no income i guess. the 2 just dont really go hand in hand. i love to hunt. i can see guiding part time or something..that would be more work then play to begin with. but in the end thats going to cost YOU hunting time..but then again you can save a big ole bruiser for yourself each fall..alot of options..but i dont know..seems like itll ruin what i love and make me end up not liking it as much because i made it WORK...
Old 02-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

There have been a lot of good points made, that I truely did not think of. For now I guess I will work hard so I can hunt harder. Now if I can just find a job that will let me off from Sept. to Feb. and mid April to mid May, ...or at least the weekends.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:14 AM

You may want to create a job for yourself. Perhaps you have an idea or skill that will be successful in the hunting industry. If you are willing to take the risks, the rewards are much greater than you will achieve working for somebody else.

I was frustrated that the cool hunting videos that exist today were not available to rent and decided to do something about it. It turns out that a lot of other people feel the same way. This resulted in the single largest library of hunting DVDs in the world being made available to hunters throughout the United States (And soon, Canada!)

Yes, it is work. Yes, it is a job. But its a job where I get to talk hunting every day!

-- FLIX
Old 02-14-2007, 05:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I came out of college as a baseball player that had aspired to make a living playing the game. I thought I had what it took to be a professional baseball catcher. I got passed in the draft by everyone.

After taking a job to make ends meet…..I was playing a LOT of golf on the side. I got fairly good at it…..and had conversations with a friend I’d graduated with who was in the PGA Apprentice Program. He told me a few things about it….and I got hired as an apprentice. I worked my way through the business schools….the playing ability test…..and put 3 yrs in as an apprentice. I was elected to membership in the PGA of America in August 1994. When I began that journey……I LOVED the game of golf.

I left the PGA and my member club in 1995 to take a job in my current industry. I put down the clubs and didn’t touch them for seven years. I LOATHED golf. Everywhere I went….whoever I talked to…..everything I wore…..everything I did….revolved around golf.

I joined a country club, after I began playing again. I remember the first time I walked into the clubhouse to play a round with some friends. GOD IT WAS REFRESHING to be there on MY TERMS! It felt odd…..but invigorating. I could have fun at it, again. I can’t explain to you what that feeling was like. THAT FEELING is why I loved golf. When I HAD to be there….I didn’t feel that.

I hope you think about this before you take a leap that might change the way you feel about hunting for the rest of your life. I was lucky. I got out of it and found something (by the grace of God) that affords me the opportunities to do the fun things in life. I know friends still stuck in the industry that hate it…..but are trapped because of their tenure, there.

Just know that things are not always as they seem……and good luck to you.

Sincerely,

Quick Reply: Hunt for a Living...how??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.