Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To expound.......Baiting.....

Old 02-09-2007, 04:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default To expound.......Baiting.....

I heard a common theme in several of Atlas posts (on his thread....I should say)on what we condsidered hunting and shooting. It was Fences. Another was baiting.

It's legal to bait DEER, here. I feed 12 mo. a yr.....but don't hunt near it. It's ILLEGAL to bait bears, here....as it is in VA (I'm fairly sure) during the season.

Why would it be "OK" for some to bait bears.....and not bait deer? Why is it some states allow it while others do not?
Old 02-09-2007, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: To expound.......Baiting.....

I am fairly certain that when WI banned baiting of deer a few years agoit was due to CWD. We now have a limit of 2 gal per 40 acres. As to why one could bait bear and not deer, my guess would be for the same reason. I have never seen 10 to 12 bear at a bait site. Less likely for a bear to spread any disease.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I still wonder why me putting out a feeder is baiting and the guy that hunts the edge of a 200 acre corn feild isn't baiting and condemns me for it. Oh and I don't hunt deer over feeders, hogs yes deer no.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:05 AM
Dominant Buck

TX....PLEASE don't take this as confrontational, from me. It isn't. I feed deer 12 mo a yr. It's also legal to hunt over it here in NC......I just choose not to (for different reasons that most think).

I'm not putting ANYONE down for baiting. My question is......OK....to the point....HOW could you put a man's method of hunting down for one species.....when you do the same thing for another species? Isn't baiting......baiting....no matter what the animal being sought?

Is that fair????
Old 02-09-2007, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with you What's hunting over a water hole, even a naturally occurring one? Montana's regulations stipulate that anything placed (including water) as an attractant to concenctrate game is illegal. However, you can hunt over a naturally occuring water hole or carcass as far as I know, and I did querry the localGW about it several years ago. A freshly cut corn/hay field isa major drawfor deer, at least that's my experience in Illinois. When I lived in oregon, I found that fresh logging attracted black tails for the mosses, etc. that they could easily get from felled trees.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

GMMAT, I didn't take that as an attack from you. Not at all. I guess I wonder the same thing you do. I too feed year round. That is more to keep deer on the property than anything else.
I guess we will never all see eye to eye. Why cry foul if it is legal? I don't know although I too have been known to state my opinion of another mans means of hunting. I just don't get how some guys can take pride in the animals they kill considering the way the killing is done. But then I don't have to "get it" do I? As long as what they do is legal. Sometimes keeping my opinions to myself is not easy. Thats why I don't. Oh well, we all march to the beat of different drummers.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

In some states the DNR or Fish and Game consider bears a nosense or a threat to pulic safety so they allow whatever means possiable for the hunter to harvest the bear
Old 02-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no problem with baiting or hunting over bait sites. I do feed year round as well and also have food plots, crops, and alfalfa fields so the deer eat well at my place. I, like you GMMAT, do not hunt over the bait sites but it is not because I wouldn't feel ehtical doing it. Mysupplemental feeding is to keep them around throughout the year and it does a good job.To some people it is taking the easy way out, but I honeslty can't see their point. Like hunting bears over bait. In the thick boreal forests of Canada, how else could you ever get a shot with a bow at one? Walking the roads until one pops out doesn't seem any more sporting to me, but there again is just an opinion.

Bottom line, I see no problem so longas it is legal.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Why I don't hunt over bait.....

I've seen deer come into bait sites.....and I've seen deer that aren't anywhere near bait. They are two different acting animals.

I choose not to hunt over bait because........it's easier. That's not the answer a lot of you would think....but it's the truth. You take a deer walking through an acorn flat vs. a deer going to afeeder and think about which one is going to be on alert.

AGAIN....I have nothing against baiting or people who hunt over it. Whatever is legal and works! My question was....why is it "OK" to bait some animals....and shyed away from for other species???
Old 02-09-2007, 07:46 AM

In the south deer have plenty of food through out the hunting season. When acorns begin to drop the deer start to ignore corn piles. Soy beans are not harvested until late November or early december so that is another preferred food source. With all of the food around the larger bucks typically do not visit the bait piles(during daylight). As for a state further north where natural browse is gone and snow covered a corn field or pile may be more attractive. So to sum it up my corn piles in NC work well for trail cameras but do not work well for hunting over them.

Quick Reply: To expound.......Baiting.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.