Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To expound.......Baiting.....

Old 02-27-2007, 02:59 PM

Default RE: To expound.......Baiting.....

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

The fed bear dead bear things applys to baiting just as it applys to public nuisense. If you bait an area up and hunt over it your likely to kill that bear. I was just using the statement in a difference sense than it was originally stated.

The area I hunt bears are not over populated, and we arnt allowed to bait. If it were legal, I wouldnt have any problems doing it. Just my 2cents
Don't get PO'd Ed, but this is the kind of thing I was talking about in my last post. You state that you can't hunt over bait in your area, yet you ASSUME that if you bait a bear you are automatically going to kill him. Not true. Baiting bear is a science and is very difficult to get older bears to hit a bait during daylight.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Dan:

For the record.....I posted this NOT to have anyone divided. I posted it for the OPPOSITE reason. It seems SO MANY people want to look down their noses at people who bait deer.......but will give a pass to people who bait bear and other animals (mainly because they, themselves, likely have done so).

Baiting is allowed for a MYRIAD of reasons.

MY OPINION>>.........but if you're not hunting BIG woods.....with no agricultural fields......you're hunting over bait. There's nothing "natural" about a crop of corn....or a field of soy beans. I didn't say I had aproblem in the world with it....I don't.....I just think it's time for everyone to look at this in a different light.

THAT is why I posted my Big Woods" thread the other day.....to find out if anyone was REALLY hunting big woods...with no agricultural fields. I was VERY surprised to find that some are.

Respect.

I don't disrespect the people who bait AT ALL. Let me make that clear, also. This thread was started to make people think.....not divide them. I'm sorry that was a pseudo-side effect.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:16 PM

Jeff,

I realize what your intent was. I usually don't post on threads like this because they seem to turn into pissing matches. The only reason I did post had nothing to do with you. I saw something that had to be addressed. I get sick of people assuming things about other hunters legal methods of hunting. Just because it is not legal in their area or they don't agree with it they start a pissing match with someone who is doing nothing wrong and is hunting within the law. It's getting old.

BTW, I hunt big woods without a field within 100 miles in Canada and don't bait deer.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan,

Question number 2, the term “selective” meant to let some live, and picking only one bear to kill, or maybe I should have said “being selective”. Sorry.

My reasons for connecting this issue with over population is based on some things I read after I was invited to go on a hunting trip to Nova Scotia. I went on line and found some hunting sites, looked over the bear hunting areas and came across some videos of bear hunts taking place in the areas that we were looking at going. In most of the videos, there are multiple bear, multiple trashcans (filled with apples) and a hunter watches until he sees one that would meet his criteria (for whatever reason) and shoots him/her. He then does the normal stuff – talks about how exciting it was and posses for a picture with the bear. From there I guess he either leaves it to rot, makes a rug, eats it, or some combination of these things. The area was said to be "over populated" and that this type of hunting was a form of population control. I didn't end up going.

Dan, I didn’t take offense to your comments, so please don’t take offense to mine.

I am a hunter/killer. I put the killer part in there, because I, unlike many, admit to myself, and the rest of the world that the killing part of the hunt is one of my main reasons for being there. But, what have I accomplished if I can’t do it on my own, without bait. I’m not against killing a bear, or three or a hundred, but I don’t buy into the “over population” thing, nor do I approve of hunting over bait. That is my opinion though, and I realize that.

I forget what it is called, (some specific term for the life cycle of a species) but every species goes through a cycle. First, the species has very low numbers, but plenty of food to go around, so the species multiply at a fairly high rate. Next, there is a balance. The food source is able to sustain the population, but there isn’t much left over. Finally, the species is over populated. Now there isn’t enough food to go around. Starvation is taking place and diseases start killing in mass numbers. Now we go back to the first part of the cycle again since the numbers were just decreased.

Setting out food does not help this situation – ever. And especially if it is to attract only the cream of the crop, so that a hunter can fill his “one tag”.

But, here we are. It is indeed much more complicated, isn’t it. I mean, Dan, you are a tax paying business owner who rents out tree stands to bear hunters. I wonder if you bait those stands? No wonder you sounded so angry in your post. I wonder what would happen to your business if this type of hunting were to all of the sudden become illegal? I’m sure your representatives would not allow that to happen, since you have a vote, and so do the hunters. Laws and regulations will follow.

I live in central Virginia, a state with a lot to offer any animal, including bear. Ocean and coastal plains to the east, the piedmont in the center and the mountains to the west. Agriculture everywhere. I mentioned earlier that where I live isn’t over populated with bear. In fact, the bear season was closed in the two counties that I hunt most, since the numbers were low last year. I have often wondered why that is? I could be wrong, but I think there is a connection.

I get sick of it too Dan, but I get sick for another reason. People pretending that it is some great accomplishment to kill an animal over a bait pile. If I needed the meat, I'd do it to, and be really happy for it. But I hunt to challenge myself.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

But, here we are. It is indeed much more complicated, isn’t it. I mean, Dan, you are a tax paying business owner who rents out tree stands to bear hunters. I wonder if you bait those stands? No wonder you sounded so angry in your post. I wonder what would happen to your business if this type of hunting were to all of the sudden become illegal? I’m sure your representatives would not allow that to happen, since you have a vote, and so do the hunters. Laws and regulations will follow.

I get sick of it too Dan, but I get sick for another reason. People pretending that it is some great accomplishment to kill an animal over a bait pile. If I needed the meat, I'd do it to, and be really happy for it. But I hunt to challenge myself.

I sounded angry? Maybe I sounded angry to you, because I disagreed with you. I was stating a fact that you are posting your opinions on a topic that you admittedly are ignorant about, and not asking questions.

Do I bait bear? Of course. If I didn't I would not have posted an off the cuff comment about something I am ignorant about. If they closed the season would it financially ruin me? Nope, I do it more for the joy of taking people hunting and getting them their trophy. Representatives not allow it to happen? LOL, they already closed the spring season.

Your last statement is like many other on here, an opinion based on your ego. You just can't get over the fact that some people hunt different than you and you don't like it. That's fine, but keep it to yourself and quit dividing hunters. Plus like I said earlier, baiting bear is no walk in the park. Getting trophy bears to show themsleves during daylight is extremely difficult.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan,
You've got it all wrong. I don't care what you, or anyone else does/hunts.

I however, like to step into the woods with what I am carrying and start hunting. Unfamiliar territory is really cool to me. It gives me a sense of accomplishment to know that I can walk into the woods just about anywhere and start hunting and survive.

If I were to get stranded in the forest somewhere, my first plan would not to be to try to find a stash of apples to sit over, in a ladder stand that someone else placed there,and wait for a bear to come. I'd probably pick up a few apples, put them in my pack for later and hit the trail.

I'm not bothered that anyone baits. What bothers me is the "hey look what I did" attitude, as if it were at all noteworthy.

Respectfully,

KP
Old 02-27-2007, 04:07 PM

Dan,
You've got it all wrong. I don't care what you, or anyone else does/hunts.

I however, like to step into the woods with what I am carrying and start hunting. Unfamiliar territory is really cool to me. It gives me a sense of accomplishment to know that I can walk into the woods just about anywhere and start hunting and survive.

If I were to get stranded in the forest somewhere, my first plan would not to be to try to find a stash of apples to sit over, in a ladder stand that someone else placed there,and wait for a bear to come. I'd probably pick up a few apples, put them in my pack for later and hit the trail.

I'm not bothered that anyone baits. What bothers me is the "hey look what I did" attitude, as if it were at all noteworthy.

Respectfully,

KP

Nice comeback.With that statement I can see an intelligent conversation with you has gone down the drain.

Take care.

-Dan
Old 02-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes down the drain. Nothing intelligent to offer here…

Dan, I admitted that I was ignorant and gave you many opportunities to explain your position. You elected to be very vague in your answers and pretend to not understand my questions.

I'm ignorant to gay prison sex too, and guess what - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy that either, but who knows, since I'm ignorant and all...

You ever tried it Dan?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:24 PM

Yes down the drain. Nothing intelligent to offer here…

Dan, I admitted that I was ignorant and gave you many opportunities to explain your position. You elected to be very vague in your answers and pretend to not understand my questions.

I'm ignorant to gay prison sex too, and guess what - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy that either, but who knows, since I'm ignorant and all...

You ever tried it Dan?
I answered everything you asked. You made a bunch more statements, were they supposed to be questions? If they were, sorry, I didn't know I was supposed to read into them.

But, with your extremely childish statement in your last post, I am completely done with you.

Take care and I hope you grow up soon.

Bye!

-Dan
Old 02-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Asstated before the two most important reasons for baiting bears(besides drawing them outduring the day) is to be sure you aren't killing a sow w/cubs and to judge the size of the bear. Most archery bear hunts are over bait for these reasons. Yes it's a bigger accomplishment to do it without, but if it's legal and ethically okay with you then do it! To each his own!

Quick Reply: To expound.......Baiting.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.