Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To expound.......Baiting.....

Old 02-09-2007, 03:38 PM

Default RE: To expound.......Baiting.....

I set up a gravity feeder this last late winter and filled it all summer, but a gravity feeder can run a man broke in a hurry from the coons alone. I mainly did it cause or local DNR told me that the main thing next to genetics that helps a rack is how soon they recover from winter. So thats what I was trying to do. Could not fill it fast enough in the spring. But I hunt NW Ohio and you could call my entire county a bait pile. The area I hunt is about 40 acres, on the medium to small size of woods in my area. It has corn or beans on all four sides. The one corn field is so large I had to look with binoculars to see across it. Once the corn put onthe ears and the bean pods started to fill my 50# feeder lasted about six weeks before it needed filled, and I think birds a squirrels did all the eating. To much food around here for it to do anything during the season. I have a new 250# feeder that I plan on hanging up as soon as the ground thaws. I plan on filling it with Purina antler max, so I can help out the bucks antlers. The other thing I hope to accomplish is more deer in general. When in the spring I had six deer in the same pic I thought I was in heaven. Hoping by having the feeder more deer may move into my area. I also do not think baiting has anything to do with CWD. Haven't any of you guys seen deer rub noses, does do it all the time in my area.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:41 PM

I live in Missouri and it is illegal to hunt over bait. I don't think that this law has anything to do with CWD because it is not illegal to put supplemental feed out. You can do it year round. Just can't hunt over it. Hunting over it is not an option for me because it is illegal. If it were legal, I might try it....I'm not sure. It is a personal decision.

I have 20 acres that doesn't have much to attract deer. I put out a food plot to increase my chances and it does help. So by some folks opinions, I do hunt over bait (it is legal to hunt food plots). That is a good question...why is it ok to bait bear and not deer. Different things are important to different people. Live and let live!!!

Old 02-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had acorn feeder out in 2003 from spring to winter. I hunted it two times an got bored, then went back to my way of hunting I know best. I feel that hunting off of a corn feeder is an easy way to attract deer. We attempt to plant food plots each year. I do not think, that any of the above mentioned counts when the whiteoaks, willow oaks an the red oaks start dropping acorns.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:02 PM

i personaly am on both sides of the argunment on baiting period so i never really like to get to involved with it much
Old 02-15-2007, 10:00 PM

I love using my feeder for everything, from scouting, to trail cam opps. to hunting. Myself and my friends have taken numerous deer within 50 yards of that feeder this year. Only 1 was actually eating, the others were just passing through the area and never even gave interest to the feeder. Typically, the feeder goes off at the same time they come in range and scares them away, it's actually cost me more shots because of that.
Putting my trail cam on it is the coolest, though. I have gotten some interesting pics of numerous animals and some big bucks that I woud have never thought existed here. I even have a couple of spikes fighting.
However in NC, it is illegal to bait turkey's, but I never have time to hunt them when there time rolls around anyway.

I am tired of people I come across getting superiority complexes about the feeder thing. Everyone I personally know that hunts, has a feeder and base their stand placement upon how the deer travel around that feeder, yet they say "they are not using it like that!"
Old 02-16-2007, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Youre partly right with the 2 gal limit and directly right about why we went to the 2gl limit. Its actually 2 gl per 40 acre per hunter. The dnr has a great slide show explaining this. As for the bears just shoot them lol they are starting to get out of conrol, they really need to start issuing more kill tags. Especially those who have never put in before and figure theyd give it try, and if they enjoyed it and had a sucessful hunt then start the point system, but then that might cause problems as well cause everyone that hunts would be out slaughtering bears, so maybe not a great idea. ForgetI mentioned that [:@]
ORIGINAL: Copper31

I am fairly certain that when WI banned baiting of deer a few years agoit was due to CWD. We now have a limit of 2 gal per 40 acres. As to why one could bait bear and not deer, my guess would be for the same reason. I have never seen 10 to 12 bear at a bait site. Less likely for a bear to spread any disease.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

This baiting in WI is not state wide is it? I was under the impression it was allowed only in the north in certain zones.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Baiting deer is now legal in Pa, in some Special Regs WMUs, on private property only. [8D]
Old 02-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Food plots(suplimental feeding)makedeer hunting easier, bait piles and feeders make deer hunting easier. How do you want to get your buck? Lifting weights builds muscle. Lifting weights and using steriods makes building muscle easier. Smell what I am saying? Deer can easily be patterned without even considering their food source or hunting anywhere near it. They are in the feed fields just before dark and for a bit at first light. Why would one even hunt these areas considering that 95% of the time they are somewhere else?
Old 02-18-2007, 05:16 AM
Bartender

Yes mostly in the North and it sure messes up the public land.
ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

This baiting in WI is not state wide is it? I was under the impression it was allowed only in the north in certain zones.

Quick Reply: To expound.......Baiting.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.