Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To expound.......Baiting.....

Old 02-09-2007, 12:53 PM

Default RE: To expound.......Baiting.....

Jeff, I believe it has to do with numbers (population) in some cases, like TX. There are SO many deer in TX, IMO, the TPWD, allows baiting for deer to try to help keep the numbers in check. For bears, we CANNOT bait them, because we CANNOT shoot them. There are only a few Louisiana Black Bears starting to show up in E. TX, but they are protected.Another scenario is with turkeys in E TX. TPWD has been trying to reestablishthe population in E TX. Wedo have spring seasonBUT we cannot bait them, but W TX and S TX, there's spring and fall season baiting is okay and pretty much pick your weapon, BUT there are A LOT more turkeys in the western and southern parts of the state. THEN, there's hogs,....bait 'em, trap 'em,hunt 'em at night, use dogs, use horses, just about anyway you can get 'em. (Some restrictions may apply in certain areas)THEY'RE EVERYWHERE MAN!!!

This is just my guess/opinion so don't take it to the bank.

One thing I don't get is, if baiting causes CWD then I would guess that TX would have the highest number of CWD cases,.....I have not heard of a single case in TX. Maybe CWD is here, I just haven't heard of any cases.

SometimesI bait, sometimes I don't.

One more thing:
Everything changes a deer's "NATURAL" travel route! Any abnormal scent, noise, treestand that just showed up in a buck's bedroom,COULD make them change their path. If a deer "decides" to go get a few nibblets of corn from a feeder that just popped up a few yards or even several yards off his "normal" path, then it became his natural path. The same thing happens when a White Oak starts producing acorns one year. I'd bet $$$ that a deer will alter his "natural" path to snag a few big white oak acorns. If we grunt a deer in, use scent, or anything else, then we alter their natural path. The "I don't because it alters the natural path.", argument don't hold water with me. JMO

Sorry Jeff, for getting off subject there for a minute.
Population!!! That's my guess.

TXMM
Old 02-09-2007, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I feed deer 12 mo a yr. It's also legal to hunt over it here in NC......I just choose not to (for different reasons that most think).

I'm not putting ANYONE down for baiting.

My point is it seems you think that your "feeding" is not baiting. When, in reality, it is. So, its obvious you're not putting anyone down for baiting, because you do it too. Even though (from your posts) it seems you think you are not.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Dan....you've obviously filled in some blanks on your own. I never said I did or didn't "bait". Call it what you want....I call it "supplemental Feeding". If you want to call it baiting.....then sure. But I've never denied it.

What I think you're hung up on is I said I don't HUNT over bait. I don't.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Dan....you've obviously filled in some blanks on your own. I never said I did or didn't "bait". Call it what you want....I call it "supplemental Feeding". If you want to call it baiting.....then sure. But I've never denied it.

What I think you're hung up on is I said I don't HUNT over bait. I don't.

I'm not hung up on anything.Why do you get so defensive? I was pointing out that what you call feeding is baiting. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

They intoduced Turkey's where my brother lives in Idaho about 10 years ago. In the winter time when they have about 10 feet of snow they would take corn out for the Turkey's because there wasn't anything for them to eat. Well they fed them one day and when they came back the next day all the Turkey's were dead. The corn had been sprayed with something that killed the birds.

MC
Old 02-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Someone mentioned this before. Bait is used for bears in the spring so one can be sure not to shoot a sow with cubs. As for the boars if a bait is hung high above the barrel and the boar stands you can also guage the size of the bear. Apparently ground shrinkage is an even bigger problem w/ bears. I've never bear hunted but I know people who have and this is what they were told.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm sorry Dan.....Call it "Semantics".

My point is it seems you think that your "feeding" is not baiting. When, in reality, it is. So, its obvious you're not putting anyone down for baiting, because you do it too. Even though (from your posts) it seems you think you are not.
And my point is....I never claimed I wasn't. Nothing more.

Have a good weekend.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:35 PM

Have a good weekend.
I always do!
Old 02-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think txmarshmonkey hit the nail on the head....In NC we have too many deer...In 1978 there were about 750 killed on the highway statewide...Last year it went over 15,000....What a waste....I've always said, I don't care how you kill them, you can run over them with a pickup as far as I'm concerned, as long as its legal in your state and you don't waste them...
Its none of my business how you hunt and none of yours how I hunt, as long as I am within the regulations.

We have just really gotten our turkey population up to a good level in the past few years, I lived in Georgia and Virginia in the late 70s and early 80s..
They had more turkeys then than NC has now....

As far as baiting bears, its been shown that they get a sugar high from doughnuts and crave them when baited...

But I believe it all comes down to each states population and how the state wants to control the herd...

Heck....It was illegal to gamble in NC a few years ago, now we have a lottery....

The Government determines what is legal and what is not..........
Old 02-09-2007, 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: MC Bowhunter

They intoduced Turkey's where my brother lives in Idaho about 10 years ago. In the winter time when they have about 10 feet of snow they would take corn out for the Turkey's because there wasn't anything for them to eat. Well they fed them one day and when they came back the next day all the Turkey's were dead. The corn had been sprayed with something that killed the birds.

MC
Are you proposing a similiar method of baiting for whitetail?

Quick Reply: To expound.......Baiting.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.