Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To expound.......Baiting.....

Old 02-09-2007, 08:57 AM

Default RE: To expound.......Baiting.....

In Indiana where I hunt if you have a standing cornfield, then the deer stack up in the corn and don't like to come out
Old 02-09-2007, 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm not putting ANYONE down for baiting.

I would hope not. Because what you do is baiting. You may call it feeding, just because you don't hunt near it. But the fact is, it is baiting. You have it out and it changes the deers natural pattern. Same thing, two different names.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Dan:

PLEASE don't read anything into it. I have NO PROBLEMS with people baiting.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:41 AM

My issue with this subject is that bait/feeders/foodplots (or whatever the trendy word is at the time) artificially change thenatural feeding habits, movements, and available nutrition of whitetails in a particular area.

To me, the line; "attract and hold more deeron your property" is a pretty weak motto to have.

Why aren't some people just happy with what occurs naturally?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:44 AM

It is illegal to do in indiana but I have no problem with people baiting. Its just not something I grew up doing. It all falls back to what you were taught when you started. We hunters can be pretty thick headed and not up to changing! I especially can understand the use of feeders but not hunting over them because they serve many purposes... 1) more food to keep deer healthy, 2) helps keep the deer on your land so your neighbors aren't shooting your bruisers!, 3) increases population of other huntable game! (I'm partial to fried squirrel!)
Old 02-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Why aren't some people just happy to let other states and other hunters decide for themselves what is best for them?

It's a fair question.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Why would it be "OK" for some to bait bears.....and not bait deer? Why is it some states allow it while others do not?
Ithink your looking at the difference of Federal Regulations vs State by State.. State by State does whatever the Game Commision decides upon. Like in NC You can Hunt with Dogs for deer..in many Northern States thats not even talked about! That doesn't mean it's wrong by the ethics of either group of hunters, it's wrong cuz the law says so.

I don't know that we can make sense of the laws..but they are what they are.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't bait and never have, even though it's legal here. I also have no problems with people doing it since I feel that hunting over a natural food source is very similar to baiting as is the use of sexual scent attractants.

What I have found though, is that mature deer - esp big bucks - will AVOID a baited area until after dark, if he visits it at all. Most mature deer in my area seem to equate piles of food with human intervention and take no chances.

I have capitalized on this by building trails out of the woods that offered a [supposedly] safe exit without going past the bait piles that another hunter places in the same spot every year. The deer stopped using that major trail when the bait appeared and began using my trail. I scored, he didn't. The spot is about 250 yards from my house on a relative's land.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:11 AM

Baiting is leal here and i really have no prblem with it. I have baited a few times before and have formed the opinon that baiting sucks. I have yet to kill a buck off of bait and i find it a useless effort to really try and hunt a big deer. They may come in yes but not till the middle of the night. The young pups will be around all day along with the does but the older boys have seen that movie once and didn't like the ending. I have learnt over my experiences, mistakes that to hunt a truely big buck here you do not bait, you don't want to give the indication anything is out of the ordinary, hunt his patterns and killem. Much faster and more productive for me.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: il coyote

My issue with this subject is that bait/feeders/foodplots (or whatever the trendy word is at the time) artificially change thenatural feeding habits, movements, and available nutrition of whitetails in a particular area.

To me, the line; "attract and hold more deeron your property" is a pretty weak motto to have.

Why aren't some people just happy with what occurs naturally?
You mean like planted crop fields? Those aren't natural either.

There are very few parts of the country where you can even go and see a natural environment. AK is about it. I just don't seem to understand why you would think it is odd to want to better the habitat and available nutrients to the deer herd and other wildlife. So, do younot likeyour local DNR or DOW for doing the same things on public lands?

Quick Reply: To expound.......Baiting.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.