Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gobbler Guillotines

Old 02-07-2007, 01:56 PM

Default RE: Gobbler Guillotines

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Besides that.....they take a special quiver......a special arrow (longer).....and you just found out what a pain it is to try to practice with them.

Honestly.....I'll take my chances with a softball sized kill zone and a head I'm used to shooting.

That's just me, though........
They take a full length Gold Tip, for me anyway.

As for the quiver, they aren't difficult to assemble. I can set the remaining two up in the blind with a flashlight.

They fly exactly like field points, so no practicing with them is necessary.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Wash....you'll be shooting an arrow that's considerably longer than your others. That's added weight. Now....with YOUR bow ....that probably isn't an issue. Others won't be so lucky.

Good luck, buddy!
Old 02-07-2007, 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Wash....you'll be shooting an arrow that's considerably longer than your others. That's added weight. Now....with YOUR bow ....that probably isn't an issue. Others won't be so lucky.

Good luck, buddy!
True 'nuff.

I can't wait to try these suckers out on a turkey. I'll have my Stingers in the blind as well, just in case I somehow miss... twice.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Rob/PA will be here in April and we'll get our entire hunt on film. Rob says he likes to crochet while in the blind. I figure....whatever. He's determined to take an afternoon bird.......and I told him I'd keep the girls warm in the hot tub. Tough choice, huh????

If this works out.....we'll have some good footage (seriously). I'v ejust got to do my part and locate the birds, come mid-March to April.

I've got a good feeling about this......
Old 02-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Site Buck Guru

WH,
Very nice post! Nice pics and video, very informative. While these heads are very effective, especially for head shots, I just cannot bring myself to behead my game. I don't have anything against it, rather, I like to take nice quality photos of my game and I think the birds look better with their heads on![:-]

Respect!
Old 02-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Considering I didn't know what would happen after hitting the cucumber, I placed my Morrell Yellow Jacket target behind it about a foot. Bad idea. It bent three of the blades and broke one.
Bad idea why? No target behind the vegie would've been the same results, bent or broken blades. That's an issue with them, no way to practice with them without ruining them!
Old 02-07-2007, 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Howler

Considering I didn't know what would happen after hitting the cucumber, I placed my Morrell Yellow Jacket target behind it about a foot. Bad idea. It bent three of the blades and broke one.
Bad idea why? No target behind the vegie would've been the same results, bent or broken blades. That's an issue with them, no way to practice with them without ruining them!
I guess what I was getting at was, if you've got the room to just let the arrow go after it hits the target, let it. The arrow slows considerably after hitting what you're aiming at, so by the time it hits the ground, it wont affect the blades. Because I had a hard, solid target behind the arrow, the force bent/broke the blades.

Greg, thats the only problem I have with them. However, because of where I hunt, I honestly don't trust taking any other shot with a bow besides a head shot. The likelyhood of recovering a body shot bird in my woods would be extremely low. We've got lots of wild rose and what we refer to as buck brush. Lots of places for a wounded bird to crawl into and die and never be found. I'd rather have to cover the neck/head with pine needles for pictures than lose the animal.

Jeff, can I come too then? Sounds like you may have your hands full.

I've taken two birds in the afternoon, catching them on the way to the roost. Last year's bird and the bird I took three years ago. I set up in betwwen a strut zone and their roost and caught the toms on the way to bed. Its risky, because if you miss you're likely to spook them away from that roost area. Its also extremely effective if they roost in the same general area every night.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:40 PM

they look awesome and after i master turkey hunting with a gun i might try these out with my bow. I do agree that that would make for a bad picture though. a headless turkey dont look right in a picture, trust me. some random black lab ate the head off my last gobbler before i got to take a pic with it. so i was holding up a headless turkey lol.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

no way to practice with them without ruining them
How about a sand pit? It works for bowfishing arrows that have barbs on them, but may require resharpening.

BTW, nice experiment.
I did notice after reviewing the video a few times that it appears the cucumber broke with the impact force several inches below where the center of the head (and blades) actually hit it.

If this is so,the 'beheaded' veggie left standing does not show the actual slices made by the blades. Since you were impressed by their cutting ability, I'm assuming that the pieces on the ground were sliced pretty neatly?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

no way to practice with them without ruining them
How about a sand pit? It works for bowfishing arrows that have barbs on them, but may require resharpening.

BTW, nice experiment.
I did notice after reviewing the video a few times that it appears the cucumber broke with the impact force several inches below where the center of the head (and blades) actually hit it.

If this is so,the 'beheaded' veggie left standing does not show the actual slices made by the blades. Since you were impressed by their cutting ability, I'm assuming that the pieces on the ground were sliced pretty neatly?
Extremely neatly.

It was like I had just set the cucumber on the counter and cut it in half with a knife. I'll post a picture of the biggest piece momentarily.

Quick Reply: Gobbler Guillotines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.