Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you people think the hunting shows really represent us average hunter?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you people think the hunting shows really represent us average hunter?

Belive me when I say the newest and worst hunters (not necessarly the same)could go out and do the same thing thesepeople do. And fools like us will keep paying them to do it.
Nobody forces anyone to watch the shows Mike, if you dont like em and still buy them that is indeed foolish.How do you propose not to keep paying them anyway, thier the same people who sell all the calls, scents, bows, guns, stands, scent eliminators, accessories, and guiding services that everyone uses.Most of them got to the point where they could afford to have thier own shows through product sales, not video sales.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you people think the hunting shows really represent us average hunter?

I like videos in the instructional category. Calling, equipment innovations, or technique. Pretty tough to find one that doesn't sell brand names though.

When I draw a tag/decide to hunt a new species I generally buy/borrow videos having to do with the animal. You can learn a lot about field judging, habitat, hunting technique, weapon choice, etc. In some cases, they'll lead you right to a general public land area known for better quality game.

Not to mention the off-season. I don't care for industry videos, but that's the bulk of it right there. By that I mean, made for the camera money shows. I found Mike Lapinski's early public landelk bowhunting stuff to be pretty good. I think they all compromise for the camera in one way or another, but you can tell that Mike is passionate and works hard.

Another group I like is Eastman's hunting videos. They have no compunctions about letting you know they are with an outfitter, or have access to private ground you or I would not normally find available to us. They really lay on the goods as far as tactics, field judging and equipment needed to be successful. As far as the mule deer hunting goes, about anyone can take this info and apply it to accessible public ground.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I think I'm pretty typical as a hunting consumer.

I actually care NOT if Cindy Garrison cathes fish OR bags a Kudu. I'm just waitin for the scenes where she swims with the dolphins.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

i like mark and terrys videos they dont just show all good parts they show some bad but mostly good and its mostly on their own farms and they have trail cams pic and wildlife eye of like every deer.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:54 AM

No they do not represent the average hunter, but take them for what they are extertainment meant to sell products.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

It's funny that this topic has come up. My buddy and I are working as we speak on a TV program directed to the average joe hunter. We are going to films hunts on PUBLIC LAND and Leased Land focusing on everything fromour costs, where we stayed, the animals we see and harvest, to the equipment that we use, not given to us to promote. 80% of the people who watch the Outdoor Channel and all the hunts done with guides and outfitters can not afford to fork out $3000-15,000 just forthe deer alone, not counting the costs associated with travel, getting the game home, etc. So we want to film hunts that the average person can do each year for as little as $1000... Ironically, the name of our show as of right now is "Joe Hunter".. We will film some this year, but look to have everything a done deal and 100% in 08'. There are a lot of good places in the US that are public land that you can go to and have a pretty good hunt. Will every buck score 140", of course not, but if we are constituting a good hunt based on the amount of inches a deer has on his head, then somethings wrong... Sure we all want the next record book buck, but that shouldn't be the spinal cord of why we hunt...
Old 02-07-2007, 06:57 AM

no
Old 02-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of our TV shows are for entertainment & most of us dream of that shot at that exceptional animal someday. Cost-I checked out many of the places where(TV) hunts took place with various programs. Example is $300-$500 a day tohunt a turkey. $3000 for a Whitetail hunt & an additional $3000/ $5000 if you kill. Several other hunts similar in cost PLUS your transportation & license.
I started makeing informationl videos in 1990 about public Bowhunting in Ill., Iowa & Ws. this is avaiable every 2 years (March 2008 next updated) . Trophy Illinois Whitetails. I also made a Quebec Caribou informational video when I got burned on my 1st ever Caribou Bowhunt.
I have another informational video on Bowhunting Exotics behind high fence, no trophy fees, No Closed Season & have another of those & a wild hog Bowhunting video in the works plus another of just me & my family (regular Bowhunters) & assorted Bowhunts/shots taken over the years.
Not everything will make you GASP at the size of the horns-we are just your regular Bowhunters & have never received any special treatment. We Bowhunt "Mostly" public access except when required to have a guide or licensed person for access.
I am not doing this to plug anything-I just realized over 15 years ago that many Bowhunters wanted this type information & I was fortunate to be able to do a small part in helping. Trust me-You will not get rich making videos unless you have some bigboys behind you. It is just a small way of returning to my sport that has given me & my family so much pleasure over many years. 2007 starts my 51st year in Bowhunting Biggame & I have a son, 2 Daughters, son-in-law &brother that contribute in the making of the videos. My wife contributes to all of us though she does not hunt. No Big Bucks for our vidoes were taken this year but we had a great season. This Iowa Doe (public ground) will be on the next video in 2008.
Hunting videos are enjoyable & the products they promote do help our sport. Unfortunatly, sometimes, new persons coming into the sport think it is common to see & shoot at these big Whitetails or whatever.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ahunter55, I will look for your videos.
strutnbuck, I will also look for your videos.

The drury brothers videos are not for me. They have no trouble telling you they hunt behind a high fence. They call there high fence hunts "out-clusure" hunts. The high fence is supposed to keep the bad deer out & the good deer in.

Eastmans produces videos that duplicate my style of hunting. I was born & raised in the west. Ihunt western big game every year. Mike Eastmans style of hunting, is how my dad taught me to hunt.
Eastmans never hunt behind a high fence.
I will give up hunting before I hunt behind a high fence.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think that most of these shows represent the average hunter, but I do know that there are shows out there that do the work, put in the time, and take nice animals because of it. I have filmed for quite a few hunting shows and not all of them have been a walk in the park. They were, quite frankly, a joke and I won't work with them anymore. But the largest majority of people that I have worked for have been good, hard working folks just like you and me. Most of these shows do all the scouting, planning, traveling, marketing, hunting, and filming all by themselves. The sponsor $ only pays for airtime, and believe me, it is high.

Quick Reply: Do you people think the hunting shows really represent us average hunter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.