Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Draw length problem...

Old 02-06-2007, 06:23 AM
voz
Fork Horn

Default Draw length problem...

My old bow has a 29" draw and feels natural. When I bought it the shop owner looked at me and said "you're a 29"...he watched me shoot several times and said "yep that fit's you." . I picked up an old new bow (2005 hold over) yesterday. The tag on the bow said 29" draw, but the sticker on the lower limb says 28".

Anyway, when I shot it andit didn't feel right. I mentioned that I didn't think the draw length fit me. The pro shop guy (not really a pro shop, but like a Bass Pro Shops) measured my draw length by putting a yard stick to my chest and having me bring my arms together in front of me (kind of like when you dive into a pool) and said "yeah, you are a 28" draw length". He also said that " when you're at full draw, the bow fit's you".

I've tried to shoot the bow after getting home and it was a disaster. Since the bow doesn't feel right, I'm having trouble holding it steady. Anyway after ruining my third arrow (from missing the target) I descided to stop trying to fight through it and I'm taking the bow to another shop tomorrow.

I've tried a few different ways of measuring my draw length and I get anywhere from 28 1\2" to 29 1\2".

What are the best methods for detirming draw length?

The wingspan method mentions measuring from finger tip to finger tip...which finger?

I'm thinking that I need different cams for the bow to fit me(the bow is a Bowtech defender) and I believe the shop I'm taking it to will be able to get them. Anybody know what that will cost (new cams)? I know I could take it back to the original shop and they'd probablt do it for free but I'd rather not deal with them again. What do you guys think?

Old 02-06-2007, 06:35 AM

Default RE: Draw length problem...

You've been shooting great and 29" for how long now? Have you ever had any problems with your shooting or accuracy ? I would just stick with what is comfortable.