Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Answer for ILBOW about arrows in a quiver

Old 02-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Answer for ILBOW about arrows in a quiver

Just so we don't completely hijack one of my favorite threads of all time... , I'm gonna start a new thread with my answer to your question here:

ILBOW asked about the amount of arrows in someone's quiver, and how people arrive at that number.

It's personal preference only... It's whatever your comfort zone is as far as how much "ammo" you want to have with you. After well over a decade (probably closer to two) of spending 50 to 60 days minimum in trees during hunting season, I've come to the conclusion that four's plenty for me.

Chuck Adams writes in one of his books about how three or four is fine for him when he's in the midwest, but he typically hunts way out west and takes longer shots, which sometimes needs follow-up shots. He's also likely to see much more game, and have various tags for different species as well. That's why you'll see him with that huge quiver he's always pictured with.

I take enough "stuff" with me to my stand already, ... plus I've only shot two turkeys out of the same flock three seperate times, and I had the opportunity to shoot a nice 8-pointer on one of those occasions after that as well. So that was three arrows that day.

I've shot two deer on the same day a couple different times, but I don't want to have to drag any more than that out on the same day.

So... Four arrows is plenty for one of my hunts.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Answer for ILBOW about arrows in a quiver

four is the number i use too, i usually try to have 4 arrow quivers but even if i have a 6 arrow one, 4 is the number that will always find my quiver.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:10 PM

yep i also use 4
Old 02-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Site Bouncer

I currently use a 4 arrow quiver. My new bow has a 5 arrow quiver and that's fine. Iwould prefer a 5 or 6 arrow so I am in the process of looking for one to fitmy bow that has the 4 arrow quiver on it now (2 piece quivers)

I have come to this conclusion because last year Ishot at a coyote (missed), then killed twodoes a couple hours later. I was left with only one arrow and thought that it would be nice to have a few more. Sosince then I have been on the hunt for a 5-6 arrow two pice quiver.I picked up a Trophy Ridge two piece for my Browning Oasis but I'm still looking for one to fit my TecHunter as the Trophy Ridge won'tmount to it.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a six arrow quiver on one bow and a four arrow quiver on the other so depending on the bow I use at the time thats how many arrows I'll take with me.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

i carry 3 broadhead-tipped arrows for deer.

and one judo point tipped arrow for squirrels. helps pass the time.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

4 arrow quiver here as well and in 25 years of bowhunting, on 3 occassions I used 3 arrows and on one occassion I used all 4. The 4 was 2 on a yote, and 2 on 2 seperate Ringnecked Pheasants. The two 3 occassions was once I took 2 doe the last day of the season, with one being a follow up. The other 3 occassion was my 04 contest deer. If you remember the story I missed him twice at 16 and 25 yards and then took him through both lungs at 41 yards.

I don't want the weight of a 6 arrow quiver full on my bow.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Dominant Buck

The first time I shoot 4 and need more......I'll rethink my position.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Site Buck Guru

All my quivers are 6 arrow quivers and I only take 4 with me.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I carry 3

Quick Reply: Answer for ILBOW about arrows in a quiver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.