Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody Chrono'd a 2" blazer against a 4" or 5" feather?

Old 02-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anybody Chrono'd a 2" blazer against a 4" or 5" feather?

ORIGINAL: Snood Slapper

I did this last summer - each arrow had 3 fletched of feathers and blazers. The feathers were 4 inches. My average given to me with my chrono, with my set up, with 5 shots each, showed the feathers 3 fps faster at 2 yards and about 1 fps slower at 40 yards.
That's kinda what I expected.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Spike

So, based on the results of these tests, what would be the advantage of a blzer over a feather? Are they equal in accuracy?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I may be confused, here......but were these tests conducted with broadheads?

If not....I don't see the relevance. "I" thought the selling point for blazers is how they handled broadhead flight. Am I wrong? Ill-informed?

Old 02-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I may be confused, here......but were these tests conducted with broadheads?
The tests I done where with both BH and FP but I never used the blazers mainly because they where not around then.

Plus I wanted to compare fletchings of the same size to try and keep it as close to apples to apples as possible.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 AM

My understanding of feathers is that they are lighter, but cause slightly more wind resistance (which is why they stabilize arrows so well). Ibelieve that a 2" Blazer would have less wind resistance and would eventually overcome the lighter feather's speed advantage somewhere further down range. (Don't ask me how far.)
Old 02-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Actually, I think the relevance is this: the inventors of Blazers attempt to give us the stabilization of broadheads only a feather can offer with the benefits of a vane; ie. the effects precipitation have on feathers. I think they do this pretty well and give archers another good option. In more instances of hunting, except small game hunting, I still prefer feathers because feathers are more forgiving if they come into contact with something. For small game hunting, I like Blazers for their durability.

And, yes, I shot them with broadheads; Simmons RazorSharks to be exact at about 288 fps. Both were very accurate at under 4 inch groups at 40 yards, but I still found the feathers to have a very slight edge in that department.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: marcusjb

My understanding of feathers is that they are lighter, but cause slightly more wind resistance (which is why they stabilize arrows so well). Ibelieve that a 2" Blazer would have less wind resistance and would eventually overcome the lighter feather's speed advantage somewhere further down range. (Don't ask me how far.)
That is probably true to a point. However, if you rub your finger across a Blazer, you feel there is a little bit of texture to it; it is rougher than say a Duravane or Vane-Tec. It still does not grab as much wind as a feather would though. Also, Blazers are very stiff, which aids in their ability to steer broadheads.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Also, Blazers are very stiff, which aids in their ability to steer broadheads.
Thanks. When I mentioned relevance....I was only referring to the reason Blazers are so highly touted. They advertise them as broadhead vanes. So...if the tests HADN'T been conducted with broadheads.....I didn't understand the relevance of the tests.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Also, Blazers are very stiff, which aids in their ability to steer broadheads.
Thanks. When I mentioned relevance....I was only referring to the reason Blazers are so highly touted. They advertise them as broadhead vanes. So...if the tests HADN'T been conducted with broadheads.....I didn't understand the relevance of the tests.
I agree totally.