Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Confidence + concentration = success

Old 02-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Confidence + concentration = success

One big aspect of consistent success that I never see discussed around here is the mental game of bowhunting. To be as successful as you can be you have to be on your A+ mental game all the time while en route to and from andmost importantlywhile you're on stand. If you are busy thinking about work, chores or your dream truck you aren't paying attention to that deer slipping by at 25 yards.

How many timeshave you stopped paying attention for a couple minutes and look up and see a deer materialize out of no wherestanding there at 20 yards? I know it has happened to most all of us....

If you are confident and have your mind set on seeing deerI bet more times than not youwill. You will be on top of the mental game by paying attention, being alert and in tune with your surroundings scanning the timber for a deer's ear, tail, leg or anything exposing a deer in their element.

Even with all the gear we tote into the woods we are still at the disadvantage in pursuit of the whitetail. Couple a positive attitude with sound scouting /setups and you are doing your best to level the playing field. Try implementing confidence and concentration into your arsenal if you don't already and see if it helps you as well. I bet it does.
[/align]
Old 02-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Confidence + concentration = success

Very true buckeye. Confidence has a great deal to do with it, if you don't have any confidence in your abilities you're already at a disadvantage. Mental game is a HUGE part of the ball game and I've found that your diet can greatly affect your ability to stay focused and alert on stand.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Shooting a lot helps this focus you talk about. There was a simpler time long ago, when I used to have the time to sling 1-200 arrows a day down range (average). When I went to the hunting woods in the fall I was on auto pilot. There were very few deer (or other legal critters) that could avoid my broadhead if I decided to send it thier way.

I have also been caught with my pants down (literally), eating granola bars, and reflecting on whatever was on my mind. I actually look forward to the stand in the fall for this reason. I work a lot of stuff out up there, it's my church so to speak.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

I totally agree with you. When I had first started bowhunting I had two shooters just "appear" out of no where and my bow was hanging up. I don't know where my mind was but it wasn't on hunting.
Patience is another thing I would add. If I had kept my butt in the stand 20min longer a couple of of times this year I would've had a shot a two nice bucks and a few does. I would get impatient and move up the ridge only to look back and see them walk where I had been sitting. Hard lesson learned!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:20 PM

I agree with everything you say. It seems like the minute your mind wanders is when you get something. I guess that is just the way it works.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ecellent post buckeye, excellent post.

Spoken like a seasoned veteran!!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Confidence and concentartion are even more important when it comes to shooting.

Yes it is important from the hunting side of things but nothing we can do will MAKE a deer do what we want but having confidence to make a good shot and the concentration to execute when the moment arises is absolutelyparamount to a succesful hunt.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:40 PM

So........... Are you saying I shouldn't be texting my buddy on the next ridge over? [8D]
Old 02-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

So........... Are you saying I shouldn't be texting my buddy on the next ridge over? [8D]
OK OKI will fess up..... I am guilty of this at times myself
Old 02-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

OK OKI will fess up..... I am guilty of this at times myself

Oh yeah, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not 100% involved 100% of the time. Certainly when I'm in my climber, feet propped up sun partly on my face... mmmm yes.

Quick Reply: Confidence + concentration = success

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.