Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Confidence + concentration = success

Old 02-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Confidence + concentration = success

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: dwd2001

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

So........... Are you saying I shouldn't be texting my buddy on the next ridge over? [8D]
OK OKI will fess up..... I am guilty of this at times myself

Oh yeah, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not 100% involved 100% of the time. Certainly when I'm in my climber, feet propped up sun partly on my face... mmmm yes.
And people still don't understand why we do this. I can't think of anything more relaxing.
I also am guilty of the text hing at times. I just love posts like this ... when I am confident in my ability to hit my mark and where I am hunting, my senses are soooooo focused on everything! How slow I need to turn my head, peering through the leaves, attentive to every noise .... yeah Wash, there are few things better than this!!! I can't wait until the fall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good post Buckeye. I'm a big believer in the mental side of hunting (maybe it's the golfer in me [8D]).Seems like sometimes you can actually will a deer to your stand. Be 100% mentally committed to anything you do and your success WILL go up.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:51 AM

Great post, and I agree with it.

But, every once in a while, there is nothing quite like dozing off for a few on the stand. That may be the most relaxing sleep I get all year with work and the little ones around the house.

I will say this, I usually reserve that for after all but oneof mytags are filled. This year, I did not doze off at all.

Also, I never seem to have to have a problem concentrating in the woods. If anything, i have problems concentrating on working to fill the time between my hunting. Now that, I should probably do a better job at.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Text messaging, heck, I don't even own a cell phone. Almost every place I hunt you can't get service anyway.

Concentration is great to the point of harvest and is essential. But then the work starts. You have 2 guys standing over a 700 pound bull and you are 5 miles back in from the road and no horses with you. That is where you must become an expert at seperating yourself from what you are doing. The game becomes very mental at that point.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya got me wrong I don't sleep on the stand all the time, if it is prime time I don't sleep.I usually go get on the stand about 2 hours or more before everyone else. The others are at the camp sleeping not a chance ofgetting a deer. I now, I am setting in my stand with my game ear. I look it also the woods have had plenty time to settle down since I came in to the stand. I do not think there is much of a chance of a deer getting by with the game ear. I usually start watching around 230 or so. If it is rut I don't sleep.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've said it before but, I've never seen a deer walk by me while I was taking my treestand nap.

Naps in the tree are part of my enjoyment overall.

Good post bbh
Old 02-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice post buckeye, you are always trying to help others, Your post are alwayseducational, and I always seem to learn something. Nice to have you here, even if you are a scurvey buckeye
Old 02-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Although I adhere to this line of thinking.....EXACTLY......

I actually look forward to the stand in the fall for this reason. I work a lot of stuff out up there, it's my church so to speak.
......I also noticed that this year I was WAY more prepared than I was, last year. I didn't get surprised, thisyear, once. Last year.....it happened a few times. This year....I knew where to ecpect deer from (not that they always cooperated!). The bull of my woods surprised on a mid-Nov. day, last year......and all I could do was watch him trot by. I never heard him coming. That didn't happen, this year......and I'd like to think it was because I was more prepared. Who knows....I might've just got lucky.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yoda, thank you for another good post!

Naw in all seriousness, Buckeye, very true bud. Great post...Confidence, with it you can without most fail.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Good post Buckeye. I'm a big believer in the mental side of hunting (maybe it's the golfer in me [8D]).Seems like sometimes you can actually will a deer to your stand. Be 100% mentally committed to anything you do and your success WILL go up.
So, Yogi Berra could have easily been speaking about bow huntingwhen he said "Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."Yes, Buckeye, a very good post.

Quick Reply: Confidence + concentration = success

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.