Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Urban deer

Old 02-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Urban deer

I have stand sites that I can't see anything but woods all around me. I have a spot that I'm able to see a couple houses.....and one that I can see 3-4. If I hunt on Friday evenings.....I can hear the HS football game announcer call the entire game (it's 1.7mi. from my home).

There's also 700 acres of woods and old farms that these deer have access to, behind me. I only hunt 60 acres or so. I'd say wait until later in the year.....up to season to start scouting. The deer I hunt are nowhere to be be found, right now. They're keeping a VERY low profile, right now.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: newman1

Yeah but nowadays urban deer carry tec-9's
LMAO....that was great!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...i guess it isnt very probably...but that always crossed my mind. little johnny outside swinging or playing in the fall leaves and out of the woods runs a buck i just shot..blood pouring out of him...deer sees little johnny and just kills over...then here i come tracking him in camo and a bow in my hands lol. i really dont hunt THAT close to houses...
Old 02-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Mauser:

Of the deer I shot, this year......NONE headed towards civilization. 2 dropped in their tracks......1 went 10 yds......and the other 2 headed towards deeper cover. This apect concerns me, too.....but until it happens....I'm not going to lose sleep over it (i.e. deer running towards homes).
Old 02-05-2007, 01:56 PM

I hunt about 250 yards behind my house and i live beside the HS. On my scouting camera i have two young 4 points and a small 9. Im hoping I can shoot him this year. But u should be careful and scout the place a little because when i went scouting i found out i wasnt the only one hunting the deer. Just like a few said before you will be suprised at what you find.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:30 PM

I hunt several suburban spots just west of chicago, I like the fact the funnels are so tight. I have a spot where I shot three deer....1buck, 2does within 5 minutes...They actually can only cross the road in one spot. Where the fence breaks!I sit on the other side and watch them cross the road right into my lane....Gaurnteed deer every year. I'm only 20 feet from a very busy road...I can tell there are deer coming when the cars slow down! It's AWESOME
Old 02-05-2007, 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: newman1

Yeah but nowadays urban deer carry tec-9's

Tell us how the scouting goes. Those urban deer are supposed to be a great challenge.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

thanx guys...i guess it isnt very probably...but that always crossed my mind. little johnny outside swinging or playing in the fall leaves and out of the woods runs a buck i just shot..blood pouring out of him...deer sees little johnny and just kills over...then here i come tracking him in camo and a bow in my hands lol. i really dont hunt THAT close to houses...
I hunt 10 yrds from houses sometime. You have to be descrete before you go tracking down the deer because yes you might see little johnny or susie. Just because your allowed to hunt there isn't any reason to freak out the neighbors. In fact, one of the letters seaking permission to hunt neighborhoods states we will be decrete and if you don't want your neighbor to know then they won't.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:21 PM

I hunted about 100 yards behind my house. I never thaught about the deer going into someone yard. I live on a hill and the deer usualy run down into the hollow.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:57 PM

It is really fascinating to hear about how different people hunt, and the environment they hunt in.

I live on 6 acres, with about 4 acres forested,and frequently have deer in my yard. In fact my dauschunds love to bark at them to get them out of our flowerbeds.

However, I won't hunt there. I go to publicly accessible land to hunt.

On several occasions, I have returned from a hunt to find deer bedded in my field less than 20 yds from my front deck.

Obviously, having immediate access to publicly accessible land influences how and where I hunt, but I don't think I would enjoy shooting a deer from my front deck, orfroma small hunting area surrounded by houses in an urban setting. I guess I'm spoiled by the abundance of choices that areavailable tome.

Quick Reply: Urban deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.