Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rotator Cuff problem

Old 02-03-2007, 08:58 AM

Default Rotator Cuff problem

I went to the doctor the other day and was told I may have to have surgery on my
shoulder. I was in pain this past season and I don't want to go through it again.
Is there anybody out there that has had shoulder surgery of this nature, and how
long before you were able to pick up your bow again? Any help would sure be
appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 09:18 AM

Default RE: Rotator Cuff problem

(note this is from a lowly medical student)
It really depends on the situation you are in. Did you tear your rotator cuff, or is this surgery stemmming from constant dislocations? It also depends on how badly torn (if torn) your rotator cuff is. It also depends if your surgery is anopen surgery (big hole) or arthroscopic surgery (small hole). The final factors I can think of are your age/healing capabilities, and how religiously you follow physical therapy/not do things that are detrimental to your recovery. All this being said I could see the recovery taking 6 months to get 80% of your strength back and another 2 years to get to wear it felt almost exactly like it was before. There are exceptions to this above timeframe and you might be one of the quick healers. Hope this helps!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Is it really a rotator cuff problem? The reason I ask is because I went through the same thing last year because of softball. And the dr. said it was a rotator cuff problem, gave me a steroid shot and said it should be better. If it wasnt better within a couple of days call them back and they would set up an MRI. Well I had the MRI done and found out it was a touch of bursitis. And my shoulder was actually "lose" in the socket. The muscle around the shoulder wasnt as tight as it should have been. I went for physical therapy and my shoulder is fine now. Didnt miss any softball or hunting. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:34 AM

Thanks for your replies. I was told I do not have a tear in the rotator cuff, just an
impingement. The doctor is talking arthoscopic surgery to clean out the joint. I am
48 and worry that I won't fully recover my range of motion.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

hey bran i feel your pain, im 24 and have had shoulder problems from playing sports for about the past 5 years and still refuse to go to the doctor, i just cant takethe chance of having to have surgery, i cant miss work or hunting....
Old 02-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

branb, I tore both of mine thru wrestling and baseball but never had surgery. Its not a pleasant pain, for sure. I'm 47 and did mine when I was young. I don't have much trouble with them anymore. I got the strength back lifting weights using the individual hand barbells. You don't have to use much weight and just a few times a week.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah the physical therapy I went through was with "rubber bands". I still use them now to keep up the strength. If you have a weight bench, the therapist said the lat bar was good to use.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been thru a couple, one on each shoulder. I will rehash what they told me... a shoulder is a complex joint, so be sure and do your physical therapy after surgery. Mine took about 3 months apiece. Don't get discouraged, just keep at it. Surgeon said every time they go in, you will lose a little more range of motion.

Heh, heh. Know how many physical therapists it takes to shingle a roof? Just one if you slice him thin.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, i had this done April 2005.if indeed you have a tear you will need to get a fix. Mine was a very nasty tear from falling thru an attic, got an mri and was told i needed surgery. while waiting for surgery date my wife got some pledge overspray on some lanolium, i came in sockfooted and sliped and fell, this time tearing the hell out of it[:@]i ended up with a 2" incision and five micropscopic incisions. It is not a pleasent surgery but needed. physical therapy was two times a week and everyday at home. I was shooting a bow with minimal poundage (60lbs) in 4 months and i can now shoot a 70 pounder with ease. My shoulder is better than ever no problems what so ever. If you have it done i wish you well my friend.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:26 PM

Don
t push your recovery though, or you'll end up with 2 years of recovery!

Quick Reply: Rotator Cuff problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.