Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rotator Cuff problem

Old 02-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rotator Cuff problem

Yeah man, I just had my rotator cuff repaired on 12/14. I injured it about 3 years ago and just had it fixed. It's already better than it was before the surgery and I'm 7 weeks into it. I just shot a bow for the first time since the surger. Here are a couple pics of what it looked like then... and now...

One week after

7 weeks after

Old 02-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

After 23 yrs of bowhunting it looks like Iam done(c5-c6 old surgury acting up again).Took two of my coumpoundbows(Mathews) to the shop for them to sell,but Iam keeping one of my compounds andmy recurve's and longbow.Just in case down the road I will be able to draw them again.I went out and bought a Ten Point Pro Fusion Crossbow for nxt year(s).I go to the Doc on the 19th for MRI and Nero tests.........again......

What ever you do DO NOT I Repeat DO NOT Rush yourself take it nice and slow.The deer will allways be there.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Here's what I can tell you.....

I had chronic shoulder surgery for a LONG time that finally had me go to the ortho when I could no longer sleep at night. I had a series of 3-4 cortizone shots that were great "band-aids", but not a cure. I had a type III bone spur on my shoulder (causing the impingement you're likely experiencing) on my super sPinatus(sp?) tendon.....one of the four tendons that make up the "rotator cuff". I was playing a LOT of softball at the time (7 states and 250+ games a yr)....and I tore my super spinatus(sp?) in half (the spur caused the tear, when I dove for a ball and impinged it).

Now....had I gone in for the spurs alone......they can remove the unheatly tissue (bone) by a process called debridement. You can have that done (if one's bad....it usually means the other shoulder is, too) outpatient....and be healthy in a month or so. I had one ortho tell me he was going to have to use the large incision on me. I asked for another opinion.....and drove from Charleston to Charlotte, NC to let a friend do the surgery, arthroscopically. If I didn't tell you I had 4 scars on my shoulder....you'd never notice them. He debrided my SS tendon and the spur.

I RELIGIOUSLY went to PT every day for several weeks.....but to be honest....I swung a softball bat in a game 3 weeks after my surgery. it was too soon by likely 2-3 weeks....but I recovered fast. I was 34 yrs old at the time ('99).

I hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 AM

I can relate, in a way to having a medical issue that affects your capabilities. I have a bulging disk in the L4/L5 region and an actual crack in vertabra itself. I have pain in it at times, but it has not yet gotten to the point of prevenitng me from bow shooting/hunting. Didn't god invent crossbows for when we got too old/injured to use a compound? At least that will be the route that I would consider if I can't shoot a compound any longer.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

feel your painI still have problems with my shoulder that i injured back in 98. I still haven't had surgery scared just like you. My shoulder dislocates from time to time well doesn't dislocate they call it subluxing, which means it partially comes out and i have to put it back in myself or let it go back in on its own. A couple of years ago i was at full draw with my bow and it blew out on me. Talk about painful. So i probably should have the surgery but am scared to,dont know what will happen.