Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is tuning really all it's technobabled to be?

Old 02-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is tuning really all it's technobabled to be?

A good tune job is extremely important even on traditional bows. With high performance compounds, it's absolutely critical. That is, if you want to get everything you spent all those hundreds of dollars for from that bow.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the guy probably was not that great of a tuner to be saying that. His expertise may have ended after the rest was set. There are so many other factors that go into tuning beyond the rest, many of which are not even noticed by the average person.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Dominant Buck

So true yooper. I decided to fiqure it out after two different shop visits visits and another one who I won't mention didn't have time to do it, so I did learnedmyself. Now I'm only talking about rest set up. I've learned about the rest of the bow set up years before.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:58 AM

sounds like what that fellow knows how to do is simple enough, and that he scoffs and makes fun of the things he doesn't understand.

now, let me ask you something monsterbuckdreams - aren't we all guilty of that in one way or another in life? - you know the answer is yes -but that doesn't make it right.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

Len,
You give seminars? How often, how much and are they only open to dealers? For a long time I've wanted to "learn" how to properly tune a bow, but never had a teacher. Shops in my neck of the woods are hard to come by.

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

Well, if you talk to this PRO Shop owner, you'll get an entirely different opinion. If it were that simple, first, half of my business would disappear, and second, I wouldn't have any attendance of Dealers at my tuning seminars.

I mightfind thisto be an interesting thread to watch. Maybe I'll learn how to make my job easier.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:18 AM

My guess would be one, he doesn't know all that much about tuning so that is good enough for him. And two, anything else is beyond him and he just doesn't want to waste the time messing with it.

It really all depends on what you want to do and how well you shoot. The honest truth, a bow shot of machine will put arrows in pretty much the same spot regardless of tune if the arrows are matched well.

When you tune a bow you are really tuning it to match the way you shoot and the way your bow is set up.

For target shooting with good arrows and adequate fletching super tuning is not super important. It will make your bow a bit more forgiving, but it isn't going to make you a better shot.

Now when you put a blade on the front of that arrow tuning becomes a bit more important. Especially if you want that blade to impact in the same place your target arrows do. And many believe this is not all that important either. You can have very good arrow flight out of both fixed blades and target points and have them impact in different places. Depends on your arrows and dynamic spine most of the time I think.

For basic tuning the goal is to get the arrow to leave your bow as straight as possible so it flies effeciently to the target. The method your shop described probably will not achieve that on most set ups. However with a good archer behind the string it can still be very accurate.

In my opinion 9 times out of 10 most archers would be better off learning to shoot better than worrying nights and pulling thier hair out trying to get the "perfect" tune.

Just my opinions anyway.

Paul
Old 02-02-2007, 06:20 AM

NDH:

My tuning seminars are mainlylimited to the ATA Show. This is mainly because covering tuning from A toZ would require too much time. With Dealers I can count on most of them having agood base upon which to build.

I have given seminars to specific groups concerning all aspects of archery. For instance, I will be giving one for the MD DNR in a few weeks about crossbow set-up/safety for Hunters Safety Course instructors.

Many times when someone is buying a new bow I will give them a quick course in how to determine when their bow goes out of tune and how to make minor adjustments.

We'll talk more when you visit.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:23 AM

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

Len,
You give seminars? How often, how much and are they only open to dealers? For a long time I've wanted to "learn" how to properly tune a bow, but never had a teacher. Shops in my neck of the woods are hard to come by.

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

Well, if you talk to this PRO Shop owner, you'll get an entirely different opinion. If it were that simple, first, half of my business would disappear, and second, I wouldn't have any attendance of Dealers at my tuning seminars.

I mightfind thisto be an interesting thread to watch. Maybe I'll learn how to make my job easier.
Len gives seminars at the ATA shows which are only open to people in the business. guess he beat me to it[:@]
Old 02-02-2007, 06:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

In my opinion 9 times out of 10 most archers would be better off learning to shoot better than worrying nights and pulling thier hair out trying to get the "perfect" tune.

Just my opinions anyway.

Paul
I can't afford to lose any more hair.That's why i let Len worry about that