Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Old 02-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

The flagellation of the deceased equine has begun........
Old 02-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Dominant Buck

No, I would never agree to a blanket statement like that!
Nor would anyone else....
Old 02-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Judging by the common theme in most posts I would say that the deciding factor in most people's minds about the difference between "hunting" and "shooting" is the amount of challenge to the hunter involved.

Agreed?

So.. what.. I do my scouting and such and place my stand. Opening morning a 160 classbuck comes by, I shoot it, and in 3 minutes I'm done.

Not much effort..is the "hunt" then diminished to "shooting"? By your (or the concensus') opinion?
I agree with a buckeye,[:'(]

Lordy, Lordy it is suppose to be fun, LOL

This board could make sleeping with Jessica Bielnot very fun the way we over analyze.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

This board could make sleeping with Jessica Bielnot very fun the way we over analyze.
Leave my kin folk outta this!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Leave my kin folk outta this!
LOL I had no idea, sorry
Old 02-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

mmmmmmmmmmm.... Jessica Biel...!!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Just curious. I see a lot of threads condemning the way other people hunt as well................NOT "hunting"..........but "shooting"

So what is "hunting" and what is "shooting" to you??

Is it a personal thing with a lot of grey area or is it cut and dry??
I am posting based on this question without reading 5 pages of this. Hunting is the pursuing of game in an ethical and legal matter and using your wits and knowledgeto take your prey and your success is directly related to your knowledge and skill to kill the animal by yourself. Shooting is standing at the end of a funnel while 10 guys push the timber and you shoot anything that runs by. This is legal and ethical in most peoples' eyes and is a necessary tool for deer mgmt in IA. These guys are shooters and not hunters but it is a necessary mgmt tool for deer. There is no way we are going to keep the deer herds at a healthy level by telling all deer hunters to get on a stand and no deer drives can take place. A lot of these guys would not know deers' behaviors or have the hunting skills to get it done, that makes them shooters.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:05 PM

I wasn't making a "blanket statement". Read the thread. It is the common theme in posts that refer to one activity as more of "shooting" then "hunting"..........it is just manifested in different forms. It's all in the thread. Some examples that have been used are fences, bait, long range shooting, petting zoo environments, food plots, outfitters, drives......and so on. These are all things mentioned in this thread that some guys see more as "shooting" rather then "hunting" Others have just said that it is all "hunting"..........but certain ways are much "easier" then others.

I was trying to condense all those into a common denominator because I don't believe it is the actual fence that bothers people.......it's the "ease" or "guarantee" the fence provides anyone inside it. It's not the actual rifle that bothers some people........it is the "ease" at which some people view picking off a deer at 250 yards. It's not the food plot.........it's the "ease" of picking a deer out of the crowd that shows up every night. It's not the drives.........it's the "ease" of killing a deer that was pushed at you by a marching band.

It seems more logical to discuss what all these things have in common rather then individually because I don't think anyone really cares about chain link or C'mere Deer.......If you read something different in the thread I am all ears.

So.. what.. I do my scouting and such and place my stand. Opening morning a 160 classbuck comes by, I shoot it, and in 3 minutes I'm done.
Way too much information missing...........but I see what you are saying, and I don't have an answer for you.........like the title says: it is subjective.......some would say yes and some would say no. Depends a lot on the stuff you left out I would think.

Not much effort..is the "hunt" then diminished to "shooting"? By your (or the concensus') opinion?
I thought you didn't like blanket statements?? Read the thread. I summed up what everyone else has said already. I have yet to state my opinion either way

You need to clarify your scenerio a little.........you say you did all the scouting and hung the stand but then refer to the act as "not much effort"..........doesn't really make sense.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:07 PM

Lordy, Lordy it is suppose to be fun, LOL

It's ALL fun.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm petitioning them, right now.....to surrender. If they'll all agree to it.....we'll be eating backstraps from now on. I've offered, as a token of my appreciation for said surrender, my neighbor's garden for three years runnin.

I've even got 2 considering helping me drag for "future considerations".

Atlas....you're looking for a furthered state of dissent among the ranks that just doesn't exist. Keep pokin, though.

Quick Reply: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.