Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

ORIGINAL: drhntr178

MAny posts mentioned the time scouting, hanging stands, and work put in before season as hunting. My question is what about when you go w/ a friend to his property and hunt out of his stand, you did no partthe preseason stuff,Is this still hunting??? Or what about a child who goes with his dad, this child has done nothing but sight in their rifle or bow, is that hunting?

In my book they both are hunting. I also believe that the size of the fence does matter? Heck, we're all hunting captive deer if you think about it, captive within north america.
see post #28

Old 02-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

If its not high fenced and the animal is taken legally and ethically its hunting! JMHO!!!!!
So..........is it the fence that makes it not "hunting"??

If so why?
Yes IMO .... Fair chase
So a 10,000 acre fenced ranch is the same as a 50 acre fenced pen in your opinion?
In my opinion, no, unless you use the fence to herd the deer to you ... then I believe they are the same, and it wouldn't be my thing. I also saw a post about an island being like a fence ..... I live by the Niagara river ..... deer swim across it all the time ... it's one of the widest rivers, if not the widest in the country ...
Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

MAny posts mentioned the time scouting, hanging stands, and work put in before season as hunting. My question is what about when you go w/ a friend to his property and hunt out of his stand, you did no partthe preseason stuff,Is this still hunting??? Or what about a child who goes with his dad, this child has done nothing but sight in their rifle or bow, is that hunting?

In my book they both are hunting. I also believe that the size of the fence does matter? Heck, we're all hunting captive deer if you think about it, captive within north america.
see post #28
I...........type.......to.......sloooowww.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

see post #28
I...........type.......to.......sloooowww.
OH! .hahahhahahha.......s...o...r...r....y..
Old 02-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here you go.

If you are having fun in the outdoors and obeying the game laws call it what you want. I do not have to answer to anyone, so I really do not care what anybody calls it. I think davemill said it best "I hunt for myself".

Maybe one day we will learn this, and let folks hunt with the way they want without judging, analyzing or picking apart how they choose to hunt.

Just think we use to hunt with a stick to survive, if hunters of the past acted as we do today, we would be extinct!!

Time for a vacation
Old 02-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me,a "hunt"isa challenge. It is something I've work hard for. There is a degree of difficulty provided by the hunter as well as his environment. Within a "hunt", there are no guarantees...

(This past October, I drove solo 18 hours round trip to hunt for 5 hours in Oklahoma. No, I did not hang a stand or clear limbs-the drive was hard enough in a weekend. I shot a mature deer from the ground with my bow. The challenge and love for hunting was enough to get me there. Yes, I used land provided by a friend...)

For me, a "Shoot" is still a challenge. But, I expend very little energy participating. There is a degree of difficulty provided by the hunter as well as the environment. Within a "shoot", there are usually guarantees...

(Duck/goose shooting from a blind on the North Platt river or in one of our many corn fields)

Both are legal and both have their place. If you get something good from either, then by all means Play! If you don't, then find something more suitable for your time. We have so little of it on this earth!
Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO The hunt is everything that goes into attempting to kill an animal. Shooting to me is the physical act of releasing an arrow or pulling the trigger.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

For me,a "hunt"isa challenge. It is something I've work hard for. There is a degree of difficult provided by the hunter as well as his environment. Within a "hunt", there are no guarantees...

(This past October, I drove solo 18 hours round trip to hunt for 5 hours in Oklahoma. No, I did not hang a stand or clear limbs-the drive was hard enough in a weekend. I shot a mature deer from the ground with my bow. The challenge and love for hunting was enough to get me there. Yes, I used land provided by a friend...)

For me, a "Shoot" is still a challenge. But, I expend very little energy participating. There is a degree of difficult provided by the hunter as well as the environment. Within a "shoot", there are usually guarantees...

(Duck/goose shooting from a blind on the North Platt river or in one of our many corn fields)

Both are legal and both have their place. If you get something good from either, then by all means Play! If you don't, then find something more suitable for your time. We have so little of it on this earth!
RESPECT!
Old 02-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Ya'll worry to much. It's suppose to be fun. If you're all worried about how the other guy does it... you really aren't having much fun.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:38 PM

quote:

ORIGINAL: indianahunter83

I define hunting as fair chase

What is your definition of that? (not P+Y or B+C)

quote:

un baited,

Do you consider food plots, scents, and calls as "bait"??

quote:

and shots inside of 100 yards. IMO

What is it about shots over 100 yards that makes it no longer "hunting" in your opinion??
For me fair chase is basically no high fences. I have no problem with scents or food plots but corn feeders and salt blocks are just kind of un-natural. The 100 yard range is just because I like being close enough to the deer to count the number of eyelashes it has! Don't get me wrong... I've shot deer with my .270 at up to 200 yards (because they are tasty no matter how they perish!) but it just didn't seem as exciting as being up close and personal. All I have ever used calls for is to stop deer. I've never really been that successful at calling in a deer. (never really tried that much either) I think for every person it is how you are brought up hunting. My father isn't much of a hunter (mostly squirrels he doesn't understand the joy I get from freezing temperatures stuck up in a tree) so I pretty much was drawn to hunting on my own and formed my own ideas. I also never understood deer drives (once again illegal in indiana I believe which probably caused my opinion)

Quick Reply: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.