Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Old 02-01-2007, 07:09 PM

Default RE: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

It's all hunting, but there are certainly varying degrees of difficulty, perception and shooting skill required.
Excellent point................hopefully one we can expand upon.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: indianahunter83

I define hunting as fair chase
What is your definition of that? (not P+Y or B+C)

un baited,

Do you consider food plots, scents, and calls as "bait"??

and shots inside of 100 yards. IMO
What is it about shots over 100 yards that makes it no longer "hunting" in your opinion??

Old 02-01-2007, 07:18 PM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

If its not high fenced and the animal is taken legally and ethically its hunting! JMHO!!!!!
So..........is it the fence that makes it not "hunting"??

If so why?
Yes IMO .... Fair chase
So a 10,000 acre fenced ranch is the same as a 50 acre fenced pen in your opinion?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its not high fenced and the animal is taken legally and ethically its hunting! JMHO!!!!!
So..........is it the fence that makes it not "hunting"??

If so why?
Yes IMO .... Fair chase
So a 10,000 acre fenced ranch is the same as a 50 acre fenced pen in your opinion?
Yes!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

What I see on T.V really makes me sick.
In what way?? It embarress me.I don't want to be associated with them and feel that any explaining (defending)I have to do at all to people (antis)about hunting is because of their shows. What they show andI expierence in the woods are completely opposite.

For me it is doing the scouting, hanging the stands, clearing the lanes, and most of all enjoying every minute I get to do it. Someone who pays a guide to hunt is still hunting, they are just not hunting the way I enjoy it.
Interesting...........are the guys on TV that make you sick "hunting" (in your opinion?) No IMO they are not. They are marketing. They arelazy soft handed sissys. Always after the easy target and making a fool of themselves after the kill. Just my opinion but I would enjoy loosening their grill.

As long as it is legal and on free ranging animals, we have to call it hunting don't we?
That is the million dollar question.
I agree but I'm just a five dollar cowboy.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well said ... I think the amount of time and work we spend before we are finally sitting in our stand, makes the taking of an animal that much more satifying ... all that constitutes hunting IMO ...

Where do outfitters fall under this umbrella??........tons of work is done for sure, just not by the guy in the stand. Does this make the outfitter the "hunter" and the guy in the stand a "shooter"??

What if you were to head to a friends place and he says "I got a sweet stand for ya tomorrow morning". Would you feel like you were not "hunting"?
I would still need to do the necessary thing to take the deer if he came by: Stay qiet, draw at the proper time, aim properly, etc... so I would still be hunting IMO, however the taking of the animal, though satifying, would not be as much as if I did the work myself .... but that's me.

So to answer you question, I would absolutely still call it hunting. Shooting is something definite IMO ... like those bozos that were shooting at the turkey tied in front of a target, or Houston in a small fenced area as guys herd deer towards him .... that's shooting IMO
Old 02-01-2007, 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: lpv77

Not to sway off topic, but if you hunt on 2000 acres fenced or not it doesnt make a difference. The only thing I feel the fence does is let you have perfect management. You are still going to have to scout the same way.

This is one of the things that I find very interesting.........the fixation on a fence being out there somewhere immediately dismisses any notion of "hunting" in some people's opinions (not saying that is right or wrong).

I don't know what to think about it..........I have a hard time understanding why someone inside a 10,000 acre fenced ranch is not "hunting" but someone sitting in the suburbs where 40 deer have 30 acres of thin woods to live in is "hunting"

That is one of the reasons I asked if the fence was a deal breaker in some people's opinions...........I am sure there are no shortage of guys on this site that know a place to go where the only way you won't kill a deer is if you miss. Inside a fence a "guarantee" is a source of disdain, but with no fence around the same situation is looked at as a "honey hole"

There is a place in NY that is state land and it is an island.........3,000 acres accessable by bridge or water. The state considers this "hunting".................the only difference I see is the fence there is made of water instead of chain link.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well said ... I think the amount of time and work we spend before we are finally sitting in our stand, makes the taking of an animal that much more satifying ... all that constitutes hunting IMO ...

Where do outfitters fall under this umbrella??........tons of work is done for sure, just not by the guy in the stand. Does this make the outfitter the "hunter" and the guy in the stand a "shooter"??

What if you were to head to a friends place and he says "I got a sweet stand for ya tomorrow morning". Would you feel like you were not "hunting"?
I would still need to do the necessary thing to take the deer if he came by: Stay qiet, draw at the proper time, aim properly, etc... so I would still be hunting IMO, however the taking of the animal, though satifying, would not be as much as if I did the work myself .... but that's me.

So to answer you question, I would absolutely still call it hunting. Shooting is something definite IMO ... like those bozos that were shooting at the turkey tied in front of a target, or Houston in a small fenced area as guys herd deer towards him .... that's shooting IMO
Amen Preacher Amen!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:46 PM

I agree with the fair chase part for sure. But baiting is legal in some areas and taking an animal with arifle at more than a hundred yards is a necesityin some areas.
Killing a deer in a way that is not defined as "fair chase" is legal as well.........and in fact it is a necessity for many people as well (handicapped for example).

However, as long as we abide by the laws and take fair chase animals it has to becalled hunting.
Since we are discussing opinions here I don't think anything HAS to be called one or the other. I am really more interested in WHY people call certain situations "hunting" and others "shooting".
Old 02-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

MAny posts mentioned the time scouting, hanging stands, and work put in before season as hunting. My question is what about when you go w/ a friend to his property and hunt out of his stand, you did no partthe preseason stuff,Is this still hunting??? Or what about a child who goes with his dad, this child has done nothing but sight in their rifle or bow, is that hunting?

In my book they both are hunting. I also believe that the size of the fence does matter? Heck, we're all hunting captive deer if you think about it, captive within north america.

Quick Reply: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.