Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

sub·jec·tive (sÉ™b-jÄ•k'tÄ*v)
adj.
[ol][*][*]Proceeding from or taking place in a person's mind rather than the external world: a subjective decision.[*]Particular to a given person; personal: subjective experience.[/ol]
It can also mean you are subjecting someone to your point of view, and I believe a lotta the posts you see in here that you referenced are doing just that.Something thats in a persons mind doesnt create a problem untill they start subjecting other people to their ideas.I can dissaprove of a hunting style and still have the decensy to say "nice shot" instead of nit picking someones post and trying to find fault with it.

Now sharing ideas and opinions isnt a bad thing and thats why were all here.Forcing your opinion down other peoples throat, belittling them for thier opinion, and looking for every oppurtunity to tear someone down crosses a line and takes much of the fun out of coming to these places.Im not saying you do this, and Im not singling anyone else out either but its rampant in hunting websights these days.Ive seen sites where people wont even post pics of thier deer because of it, Ive seen new hunters criticized because thier first deer didnt meet someone elses standards, and Ive seen those same new hunters not come back to these sites.Its sad to watch.[:'(]

Old 02-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

No, petasux.....I'd say you pretty much nailed it.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: petasux

sub·jec·tive (sÉ™b-jÄ•k'tÄ*v)
adj.
[ol][*][*]Proceeding from or taking place in a person's mind rather than the external world: a subjective decision.[*]Particular to a given person; personal: subjective experience.[/ol]
It can also mean you are subjecting someone to your point of view, and I believe a lotta the posts you see in here that you referenced are doing just that.Something thats in a persons mind doesnt create a problem untill they start subjecting other people to their ideas.I can dissaprove of a hunting style and still have the decensy to say "nice shot" instead of nit picking someones post and trying to find fault with it.

Now sharing ideas and opinions isnt a bad thing and thats why were all here.Forcing your opinion down other peoples throat, belittling them for thier opinion, and looking for every oppurtunity to tear someone down crosses a line and takes much of the fun out of coming to these places.Im not saying you do this, and Im not singling anyone else out either but its rampant in hunting websights these days.Ive seen sites where people wont even post pics of thier deer because of it, Ive seen new hunters criticized because thier first deer didnt meet someone elses standards, and Ive seen those same new hunters not come back to these sites.Its sad to watch.[:'(]
I agree with everything you just posted ... my only concern is when we use our "incredible discernment" to ascertain if a poster has done this or not. Again, until that is blatently obvious to me, I will just give them the benifit of the doubt ... but that's me ....
Old 02-08-2007, 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: bowtech die hard

ORIGINAL: WILKESFASTJAY

Here is the way i look at it, i dont care if its 500 acres or 15000 acres if its shot behind a fence its not hunting. To me its no different than having a herd of beef cows go pick the one you want shoot it and its dinner time. Other than that as long as its legal than its hunting!!
I would agree with this.

This is one of the opinions that I find interesting..........and probably one of the most common. 15,000 acres is roughly 23 1/2 square miles of open land to roam. I doubt many guys here hunt areas that big regularly. In my opinion there is no way a fence of that size can do anything other then keep deer from leaving..........which the other side of the coin means it also keeps deer from entering. So on one hand you lose the freedom of a deer to walk more then 5 miles in one direction and on the other you prevent any new deer from entering your grid. I really don't see how a fence of that size could influence a specific hunt. If a deer wants to get away or avoid you with 15,000 acres of open land to work with...........you are not gonna see him.........especially not with a bow.

Having said that I can't really fault that line of thought because as we all know the 15,000 acre fences are few and far between.........and the 150 acre fences are what most people are referring to. I am willing to bet that no one who voices this opinion has ever actually hunted behind a 15,000 acre fence and we are just extrapolating from our view of small pens.

One of the things I find odd is the double standard we seem to hold on the "lack of challenge" or "guarentee" that is so despised on ranches.......but in the absence of a fence or guide it doesn't even raise an eyebrow. There are many locations where guys have over populated deer and killing one is as simple as not missing. Watch the forum and you will see guys who see deer from their stand every day with few exceptions.......or little if any hunting pressure.......or limited space for deer to roam (suburbs, golf course, etc).....or some combo of all three. Sitting over a food plot and watching it fill up with deer every night fits in there somewhere. The whole point being that there are many different areas and many different situations where no fence is present yet the greatest challenge to killing a deer is getting your butt out to the stand. What I wonder is why some people voice disdain over the "ease" or "guarentee" that a fence offers but not when that same situation exists with no fence. They are both legal.

I don't think it is the chain link that bothers people at all.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fences keep predators out. Fences no matter how big the area allow for predator thinning. Predators likemountain lions,wolves and bears in this countryhave been documentedtraveling over 50 miles in a territory in pursuit of prey animals.

With any fence no matter the size locking out predators creates a completelydifferent set of variables in regards to what a prey animal associates withas dangerous.

Any whitetail that has little to no predation(pressure)is going to behave much differently than a whitetail that is hunted daily and I am not talking about human hunting pressure, especially during the winter months by these natural born killers. Ever see a wolf pack run a herd of elk or family of whitetails and eat them alive. Thats much different than living behind the fence.Even with a huged fenced area the predation is controlled, the whitetailis protected and behaves accordingly. JM2C
Old 02-08-2007, 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I consider fair chase a hunt without ANY fences, without high powered rifles that shoot past 200 yards, without bait, on wild, untamed deer, and if it's completely legal.

An honest answer............how interesting.

For clarity........ANY fences means what? enclosures or ANY fence at all? (park, house, cow fences, highway fences)

Is it the rifle or the distance of the shot?

Do you consider food plots and scents as "bait"?

What is your definition of "tame" deer?

If I could shoot 400 yards, it would be ridiculous. I would just be pulling a trigger. I'd have a hundred deer to my name. It's all about outsmarting them and giving them a perfectly unaltered chance to get away. It's no fun to me if it's easy. Furthermore, as of now,I won't use a scope. I hunt with bow and ML exclusively for deer.

It's no fun unless it's a challenge.
That seems to be a common theme in most opinions.

This is a place for peoples opinions. Those are mine. I respect everyones.
Exactly.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Oh Garrrrrryyyyyyyyy. Time to pay up!!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: shed33

Fences keep predators out.
They would also keep them in then.

Fences no matter how big the area allow for predator thinning. Predators likemountain lions,wolves and bears in this countryhave been documentedtraveling over 50 miles in a territory in pursuit of prey animals.
This is what I was talking about.............very cool, different perspective. We don't have those kinds of predators around here........it's not even something I would have considered in my opinion.

Any whitetail that has little to no predation(pressure)is going to behave much differently than a whitetail that is hunted daily and I am not talking about human hunting pressure, especially during the winter months by these natural born killers.
I think this is true on either side of a fence...........but I agree. We both know from having deer around our houses that they don't behave the same as true wild deer.

Even with a huged fenced area the predation is controlled, the whitetailis protected and behaves accordingly. JM2C
In a major way?........or are they just more relaxed because they are not afraid of getting whacked every second of the day?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: petasux

A subjective opinion and subjecting others to that opinion are totally different things............other then that I agree.

Agreed again.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Oh.....where to begin????

I'll do it in TRUE "Atlas" format.

First you said this, Atlas...
I don't know what to think about it..........I have a hard time understanding why someone inside a 10,000 acre fenced ranch is not "hunting" but someone sitting in the suburbs where 40 deer have 30 acres of thin woods to live in is "hunting"

That is one of the reasons I asked if the fence was a deal breaker in some people's opinions...........I am sure there are no shortage of guys on this site that know a place to go where the only way you won't kill a deer is if you miss. Inside a fence a "guarantee" is a source of disdain, but with no fence around the same situation is looked at as a "honey hole"
Then everyone told you the fence was the deal breaker.

Then....you said this.....

What gets confusing is when a situation presents itself outside of a fence that is perhaps even easier and requires less effort and skill as a hunter to kill a deer............but it is not viewed in the same manner and is in fact praised as a "honey hole".
And everyone told you the fence was the deal breaker......

So you came back a little later with this new and infor.......sorry....same old stuff....
We pretty much all know someone or somewhere to go where killing a deer is as simple as not missing...........inside a fence this is called a "guarantee" and makes most people sick.............why is the reaction different towards a "guaranteed" spot with no (literal) fence?? (That is why I asked earlier if the fence was the deal breaker in some people's opinions).
To which I replied.....
Atlas.....nice try.

The answer to your question is......because the deer I'm after are in jeopardy of being downed by another hunter.....free to run to the next STATE if they want to........succeptible to predators from other areas.......and basically just free to say...."I don't like it here....I'm leaving".

Part of being an all around "hunter"....(since we're throwing opinions around) is being able to keep your FREE RANGING deer in the area you hunt. Why do people plant food plots (really)? Why do we supplemental feed? Why do we keep supplying our mineral sites with minerals? Why do we make sure the creeks flow, properly? Why do we fell trees to aid in bedding habitat? Why? Why? Why?

It's really not that hard an anser.....if you didn't have one in mind you were looking and fishing for to match your own opinion.
And you kept fishing......
I was trying to condense all those into a common denominator because I don't believe it is the actual fence that bothers people.......it's the "ease" or "guarantee" the fence provides anyone inside it. It's not the actual rifle that bothers some people........it is the "ease" at which some people view picking off a deer at 250 yards. It's not the food plot.........it's the "ease" of picking a deer out of the crowd that shows up every night. It's not the drives.........it's the "ease" of killing a deer that was pushed at you by a marching band.
to which....everyone told you the fence was the deal breaker......

So you came up wit.......well....you repeated this......
It seems more logical to discuss what all these things have in common rather then individually because I don't think anyone really cares about chain link or C'mere Deer.......If you read something different in the thread I am all ears.
Which is a TOTAL distortion of everyone's thoughts that you SAID you were seeking....

And I said THIS .......PAGES ago....
Atlas....you're looking for a furthered state of dissent among the ranks that just doesn't exist. Keep pokin, though.
Why don't you just simply ask what the deal breaker is between hunting and shooting?

ONE THING that would be THE deal breaker........

A fence???

Quick Reply: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.