Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Old 02-07-2007, 08:59 PM

Default RE: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

ORIGINAL: petasux

Thats the point Atlas, its something everyones got to decide for themselves.
Absolutely.........and everyone does.......some are just afraid to admit it for some reason.

I dont care if your shooting deer over bait{not saying you are} or if someones hunting with dogs, doing drives, using a rifle or crossbow, or many other things that people chose to bitch about.Its not my problem, if they go home happy at night good for them.
You are misunderstanding the question. It has nothing to do with worrying about what someone else is doing. It is merely an opinion of where you, yourself.......consider the line between "hunting" and "shooting". Many threads appear in this forum about guns, Nuge, fences, food plots, petting zoos, QDM, outiftters, rifles, crossbows etc..........and in EVERY one of them there are opinions voiced saying they don't consider that "hunting"........or it's more "shooting" then hunting.

Start a thread about long rifle shots or fenced ranches and you will see for yourself.

It doesn't make anyone right or wrong.........and in fact so many things go into forming that opinion that I think it is a VERY interesting discussion. For example, a guy from out west could voice an opinion that he doesn't consider sitting in a treestand "hunting" and make a comment like "You're just sitting there waiting for something to walk by"........Now me, being from the east and having stand hunted my whole life that would sound silly but to him he has roamed the open prairies and made his kills by glassing the valley and mountains for game to try and figure out a plan to get within shooting range on foot............just two different ways of looking at things.

Theres no subjective nature to it, your questions pointless, its up to an individual what they consider hunting,ethical, and sporting.
sub·jec·tive (sÉ™b-jÄ•k'tÄ*v)
adj.[ol][*][*] Proceeding from or taking place in a person's mind rather than the external world: a subjective decision.[*] Particular to a given person; personal: subjective experience.[/ol][/ol]

Old 02-07-2007, 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Funny I have explained it to you 4 times
Even funnier...........I only asked you once.

I probably asked you why you didn't gun hunt 4 times............for some reason you won't answer. Hypocrisy perhaps?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: Germ

Funny I have explained it to you 4 times
Even funnier...........I only asked you once.

I probably asked you why you didn't gun hunt 4 times............for some reason you won't answer. Hypocrisy perhaps?
totally getting out of control. Come on guys we're all on the same side.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Spike

Here is the way i look at it, i dont care if its 500 acres or 15000 acres if its shot behind a fence its not hunting. To me its no different than having a herd of beef cows go pick the one you want shoot it and its dinner time. Other than that as long as its legal than its hunting!!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WILKESFASTJAY

Here is the way i look at it, i dont care if its 500 acres or 15000 acres if its shot behind a fence its not hunting. To me its no different than having a herd of beef cows go pick the one you want shoot it and its dinner time. Other than that as long as its legal than its hunting!!
I would agree with this.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:54 PM

I consider fair chase a hunt without ANY fences, without high powered rifles that shoot past 200 yards, without bait, on wild, untamed deer, and if it's completely legal. It's no fun unless it's a challenge.

If I could shoot 400 yards, it would be ridiculous. I would just be pulling a trigger. I'd have a hundred deer to my name. It's all about outsmarting them and giving them a perfectly unaltered chance to get away. It's no fun to me if it's easy. Furthermore, as of now,I won't use a scope. I hunt with bow and ML exclusively for deer.

This is a place for peoples opinions. Those are mine. I respect everyones.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now I may have missed it, and no, atlas and I aren't related, but this thread was just started to see what guys personally felt about hunting and shooting. Not once have I seen Atlas attack anyone's comments unless someone attackedwhat he said. Some of you guys seem to have a problem with Atlas ... just an observation.

Subjective is just someones opinion .... lots of different ones here, and that's ok. I think when a post is made , and Atlas tries to delve deeper into said post, others want to assume he is saying they are wrong or even that he disagrees .... It appears to me, he is just using the old "couch" technique to make us think deeper, not to prove us wrong by leadingto a place of agreement with him. The Title is, "The subjective nature of what is considered hunting vs. shooting" ....
Old 02-08-2007, 05:07 AM
Dominant Buck

PT.....while I agree with you on most subjects....I've been around here long enought o know that there are posts put out by some members asking for your comments.....and they don't really give a flip about your comments. If they get enough people to give them the answer they're looking for.....they'll turn it around on somebody.

Honestly.....WHAT DIFFERENCE does it make to Atlas what YOU or I PERSONALLY feel is hunting? Answer that.........and tell me there's no agenda. Why does it REALLY matter what we think? Do you think he's going to change HIS way of thinking? are you going to change yours? Is this going to divide us?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

PT.....while I agree with you on most subjects....I've been around here long enought o know that there are posts put out by some members asking for your comments.....and they don't really give a flip about your comments. If they get enough people to give them the answer they're looking for.....they'll turn it around on somebody.

Honestly.....WHAT DIFFERENCE does it make to Atlas what YOU or I PERSONALLY feel is hunting? Answer that.........and tell me there's no agenda. Why does it REALLY matter what we think? Do you think he's going to change HIS way of thinking? are you going to change yours? Is this going to divide us?
I may be wrong Jeff, and I do understand that you have seen way more than I have in here, but on the off chance it is what it appears to be, I would rather give someone a clean slate, the benefit of the doubt. Also, I am interested in the views of others..... I was enjoying this post and then it became a peeing match between some guys.

I personally think the only way to make someone change their way of thinking, is to make them really think about what they say and/or believe. So if Atlas is just being a bastage, then I will still benefit from the thought provoking post.

I'm just sayin' .... [8D]
Old 02-08-2007, 05:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I respect that, Tony. And I'll give you one thing.....his postsARE "provoking".

Peace.

Quick Reply: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.