Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Old 02-07-2007, 12:32 PM

Default RE: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

ORIGINAL: petasux

Some interesting answers in here.I didnt read the last few pages though.

About two years ago I did some work for a guy on his house and had an interesting hunting area fall into my lap.His brother owned it, they dont deer hunt, just pheasant hunt it.Its a couple hundred acres probably and designed to hold pheasants, theyve got food plots, its all CPR ground for the most part, but its bordered on three sides by obstacles, theres a lake on the south side, a deep creek to the west and a highway to the north.Along the creek theres heavy willow thickets and cattails that the deer use as a bedding area.They only really have one direction to come out without swimming or dodging traffic.Its recieved no deer hunting pressure in years.Hanging a stand is a no brainer, theres one main trail running from the bedding area to the food plots and from the food plot over to the nieghboring property.At one point it forms a funnel about 30 yards across where the lake and creek parallel each other, they almost have to pass through it to get out.

It took me all of about 15 minutes to figure all this out, another 15 minutes to hang a stand and I have one of the best hunting set ups Ive ever run across.Since there was very little effort in finding the place, scouting it, hanging the stand, and its got features that limit the deers movement much like a fence, along with a foodplot I had nothing to do with should I feel guilty shooting a deer in there?Am I really hunting?
That is something you have to answer for yourself..........sounds like you already know the answer.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Dominant Buck

That is something you have to answer for yourself..........sounds like you already know the answer.
OK...threads over. Atlas is now asking us and answering for us.

We're all useless, now....
Old 02-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

The point is you say you don't care what other people think......but then PM pics of your deer to total strangers in hopes of approval.

Man the picture must have bothered you You keep bringing it up

The rest is just not worth it I think I will go read Buckeye's thread, his are way better than yours[8D]

Old 02-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well at leastthe first 4 or 5 pages of this thread started out pretty good.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Some interesting answers in here.I didnt read the last few pages though.

About two years ago I did some work for a guy on his house and had an interesting hunting area fall into my lap.His brother owned it, they dont deer hunt, just pheasant hunt it.Its a couple hundred acres probably and designed to hold pheasants, theyve got food plots, its all CPR ground for the most part, but its bordered on three sides by obstacles, theres a lake on the south side, a deep creek to the west and a highway to the north.Along the creek theres heavy willow thickets and cattails that the deer use as a bedding area.They only really have one direction to come out without swimming or dodging traffic.Its recieved no deer hunting pressure in years.Hanging a stand is a no brainer, theres one main trail running from the bedding area to the food plots and from the food plot over to the nieghboring property.At one point it forms a funnel about 30 yards across where the lake and creek parallel each other, they almost have to pass through it to get out.

It took me all of about 15 minutes to figure all this out, another 15 minutes to hang a stand and I have one of the best hunting set ups Ive ever run across.Since there was very little effort in finding the place, scouting it, hanging the stand, and its got features that limit the deers movement much like a fence, along with a foodplot I had nothing to do with should I feel guilty shooting a deer in there?Am I really hunting?
Thats the point Atlas, its something everyones got to decide for themselves.I dont lay awake worrying about it, I didnt even give it a second thought till I read some of the replies in here.Much like I dont care if your shooting deer over bait{not saying you are} or if someones hunting with dogs, doing drives, using a rifle or crossbow, or many other things that people chose to bitch about.Its not my problem, if they go home happy at night good for them.Theres no subjective nature to it, your questions pointless, its up to an individual what they consider hunting,ethical, and sporting.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Dang, petasux.....

Are we related? That was beautiful.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Site Buck Guru

Thats the point Atlas, its something everyones got to decide for themselves.I dont lay awake worrying about it, I didnt even give it a second thought till I read some of the replies in here.Much like I dont care if your shooting deer over bait{not saying you are} or if someones hunting with dogs, doing drives, using a rifle or crossbow, or many other things that people chose to bitch about.Its not my problem, if they go home happy at night good for them.Theres no subjective nature to it, your questions pointless, its up to an individual what they consider hunting,ethical, and sporting.
If you add the word legal, you'll be 100% correct.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:50 PM

According to the American heritage dictionary: hunt-ing 1. the sport or activity of pursuing game. To pursue game for food or sport.
it says nothing about how you do it so thats what I'm going with.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

You keep bringing it up
I wouldn't have to if you understood something the FIRST time it was explained to you

The rest is just not worth it
What a cop out
Old 02-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Germ

You keep bringing it up
I wouldn't have to if you understood something the FIRST time it was explained to you

The rest is just not worth it
What a cop out
oops

Funny I have explained it to you 4 times

Quick Reply: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.