Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Old 02-06-2007, 06:22 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Tim:

Sorry.....I have NO IDEA what you're talking about. If you're talking about this (below).....it was written in response to a different thread where people were telling others to not clean up their kills for photos and to be proud of not siphoning out potentially abrasive images before sharing them with the general public. I think my follow up paragraph states my feelings on trapping JUST FINE.

Heck NO! Trappers be proud!! You aren't doing anything illegal. Smear some blood on the animals and ride around town with your animals still in the traps....decorating your truck. Tell everyone that asks how it almost chewed its' own leg off before you got up to it and pierced its skull with your .22. Good SHOT!!

The aforementioned was stated in jest.....kind of. I won't get into my thoughts on trapping.....but will add that it's legal....and that trappers (the ones I know) are pretty careful in how they allow the public to see what they do. They do a good job of flying under the radar.....and we'd do well to follow their lead.
Jeff

You want us not toread anything into your posts, yet youreply to a post in response toa differentpost which really had nothing to do with this post.... Well it did to you but not to me cause you gave not a hint. That makes perfect sense to me!! [&:]

An apology is in order but now I am really confused if it should be me, you or Elvis.

Seriously... Sorry if I offended you. I misunderstood yourreply.

Tim
Old 02-06-2007, 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

I could really careless how other people hunt
This has NOTHING to do with how other people hunt.........the question was where do YOU draw the line.

That means different things to different people. Read the thread. Many people feel that some activities require much less hunting skill and much more shooting skill to accomplish. That is nothing more then a personal opinion and everyone has one. I doubt anyone out there wouldconsider EVERY method of hunting equally challenging. We see it in here EVERY day.

What you are griping about is not even going on in this thread. The question was simple and the answer is simple as well.You are whining about something that isn't even going on.

He it is for the third time, please pay attention
If it is legal have at it
3questions.........do you gun hunt?.....if not, why? and would you feel the same about two practically equal deer if one was killed with a bow and the other was killed by a rifle inside a small fenced area?

Ok Atlas We know you like to stir pots. Man I hear you make a great chicken noodle soup
Not stirring anything.........your comment was 100% hypocritical. You bust on other hunters all the time.......and then whine aboutother hunters doing the same (which no one even was).

Yes, I do make greatchicken soup.......great this time of year!!!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not stirring anything.........your comment was 100% hypocritical. You bust on other hunters all the time.......and then whine aboutother hunters doing the same (which no one even was).
Ok, what ever you say Atlas, you are too funny I recall sticking up for you when you were getting blasted by some other for shooting fawns, ohh I forgot that was before I... Now I bust on others, who?

do you gun hunt?.....
It is a legal form of hunting here, I have the option

if not, why?
See above

would you feel the same about two practically equal deer if one was killed with a bow and the other was killed by a rifle inside a small fenced area?
I really don't care, but I use too, but I had a great talk with a guy on AT. He set me straight and I was wrong. Worry about how othershunt is just not worth it. As long as they follow the theirgames laws.

You go ahead and ask again for the fourth time

Do you make a good chili?

I have a serious question, what do you think of the guy NY Governor wants as head of DEC(Grannis SP?) I hear he tried to past an anti-hunting bill?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:01 AM

Ok, what ever you say Atlas, you are too funny
This, from the guy who sent me PM's of his deer because I wasn't around for a couple days and was afraid I missed it.

It is a legal form of hunting here, I have the option
LAME...........Do you or not?

I really don't care, but I use too, but I had a great talk with a guy on AT. He set me straight and I was wrong. Worry about how othershunt is just not worth it. As long as they follow the theirgames laws.
Why do you keep making this out to be about other people. This has nothing to do with worrying about others. I asked where the line is FOR YOU (and others). Your avoidance of the gun hunting question tells me that you are well aware of where the line is FOR YOU but don't want to discuss it for some reason.

Do you make a good chili?
Yes

I have a serious question, what do you think of the guy NY Governor wants as head of DEC(Grannis SP?) I hear he tried to past an anti-hunting bill?
You first.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

his, from the guy who sent me PM's of his deer because I wasn't around for a couple days and was afraid I missed it.
I see you only qoute part of what I wrote, to fit your response, another Atlas only

I seeyou accuse me of something. I ask who andanswer with nothing[:-].

Hey if you want to talk about special PM's Atlas I still have most of yours, they are gems If I recall I had an opps with my deer, I was just sharing Again you take things out of context, and give yourself to much credit

We know Atlas you never "bust" on anyone Your a model for HNI members

LAME...........Do you or not?

Why do you keep making this out to be about other people. This has nothing to do with worrying about others. I asked where the line is FOR YOU (and others). Your avoidance of the gun hunting question tells me that you are well aware of where the line is FOR YOU but don't want to discuss it for some reason.
Sure Atlas, but your threads(as normal)are about everyone. So where I draw the line has a direct bearing of how I think of others. What does it matter if I gun hunt or not? If I choose not to gun hunt, does that mean I think it is "shooting" now? Listen I do not care, I told you what my line was 3 times, but here is the fourth.

I just follow the game laws and have fun I have many options in Michigan and Ohio to hunt with bow, crossbow(Oh), or gun. If I desire I can go to a fenced in ranch and pay, or an outfitter who is fair chase(charade I know).

As for Grannis I do not live in NY, but worried about waht happens their. I hear he is not a "friend" of the NY sportsman. I ask a NY sportsman who I know stays on top of thinks and would give a fair answer(you)

Ok I think we have had enough fun, now we are just wasting space on Justin server andbandwidth

Good thread, sorry I did not give the answers you wanted
Old 02-07-2007, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Atlas....you're simply not being forthcoming.

You're lookingto bust on somebody in an underhanded way.....but you haven't found anyone that'll accept your lame premises, yet.

Keep fishing......there's one born every minute. Maybe he'll jump on your wagon.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some interesting answers in here.I didnt read the last few pages though.

About two years ago I did some work for a guy on his house and had an interesting hunting area fall into my lap.His brother owned it, they dont deer hunt, just pheasant hunt it.Its a couple hundred acres probably and designed to hold pheasants, theyve got food plots, its all CPR ground for the most part, but its bordered on three sides by obstacles, theres a lake on the south side, a deep creek to the west and a highway to the north.Along the creek theres heavy willow thickets and cattails that the deer use as a bedding area.They only really have one direction to come out without swimming or dodging traffic.Its recieved no deer hunting pressure in years.Hanging a stand is a no brainer, theres one main trail running from the bedding area to the food plots and from the food plot over to the nieghboring property.At one point it forms a funnel about 30 yards across where the lake and creek parallel each other, they almost have to pass through it to get out.

It took me all of about 15 minutes to figure all this out, another 15 minutes to hang a stand and I have one of the best hunting set ups Ive ever run across.Since there was very little effort in finding the place, scouting it, hanging the stand, and its got features that limit the deers movement much like a fence, along with a foodplot I had nothing to do with should I feel guilty shooting a deer in there?Am I really hunting?Are the beavers in the creek likely to eat the tree my stands in?These are all questions that keep me up nights.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Dang petasux.....

I'm troubled by your plight. I think you should introduce some coyotes/bobcats and similar other predators to this area. I think you should have the parcels picked up from God's Earth and moved 20 miles back into the wilderness (with no roads). I think you should go in there and run 3/4 of the deer out....to make the numbers smaller. I think you should kill the food plots. I think you should........

Who gives a rat's butt what anyone else thinks? Are we trying to make this as hard as possible?......OR....are we trying to kill deer?

Sounds to me like you found a great spot to hunt!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

But what about the beavers???
Old 02-07-2007, 12:30 PM

I see you only qoute part of what I wrote
Yea......the part i was responding to. Not hard to figure out.

I see you see you accuse me of something. I ask who, andanswer with nothing[:-].
Are you letting your kids type for you?.......this is babble even for you.

Hey if you want to talk about special PM's Atlas I still have most of yours, they are gems
The point is you say you don't care what other people think......but then PM pics of your deer to total strangers in hopes of approval.

We know Atlas you never "bust" on anyone Your a model for HNI members
I never said that..........you did.

Sure Atlas, but your threads(as normal)are about everyone. So where I draw the line has a direct bearing of how I think of others.
100% wrong. Where you draw the line concerns no one but you. This forum is full of guys that choose to hunt a certain waybut not others mostly for theperceived challenge (read the thread).Now, if you take that opinion andturn it intoa negative view of others that is a whole other ball game. This thread is full of people that havevoiced their opinion about one thing or another not really being"hunting" to them.........WITHOUT bashing those who choose toexpress a different view. That's the whole point of the thread.......it's just opinion and how and where we grew up has a lot to do with that opinion. Some people don't like fences and some don't care......some think a long rifle shot is no challenge and somedo........some thinksuburban petting zoosare like shooting fish in a barrell and some don't care.........some think baiting and food plots areno fun and some would hunt no other way..........some just prefer to hunt one way and some preferanother. Thecommon denominator being the ways they avoid are "too easy" or require more shooting skill then hunting skill. Read the thread.......and the countless others that appear in the forum constantly. To say every method of hunting is viewed with the same degree of difficulty is absurd. Your beloved P+Y has clear cut definitions of what is "shooting" and "hunting".........so does everyone else.

What does it matter if I gun hunt or not?
It doesn't.

If I choose not to gun hunt, does that mean I think it is "shooting" now?
You tell me...........why don't you gun hunt?

Quick Reply: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.