Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Old 02-03-2007, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

To me... guided hunts, bait piles, feeding ( supplimenting ), food plots, orhunting in a fence are tools which can, but not aways, assist us. They are sometimes means to an end. They are no different than the bow, gun, knife, rock, etc.we hold in our hand. Yes, the degree of difficulty will vary for all of us-it should. We were not created equal. When everyone excepts this notion, and realizes it's all about having fun, we willmove forward.

IMO, hunting should never be a competion between you and me. It cannot be, we are all so different. Moreover, the places in which we live are so different. I couldn't possibly know everything there is to know about your home. Likewise, you could not know everything about mine. How could there possibly be a level playing feild?

If you want to call me a shooter for venturing beyond my own backyard and solicting the assistance of others, I guess I'm ok with that. I surly do not know it all and will except info/help wherever I can. It's my way of connecting the dots. It's my way of finding the truth within me (tasting the cake). Hopefully, I'll be an expert at determining what is fun and what isn't-at least for me.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting is for targets. Deer are for hunting. If you hunt targets, then by all means shoot them. If you hunt deer, good luck.

LT
Old 02-05-2007, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I see what you are saying..........but the sheer vast area of 10,000 acres makes me think it would be awful hard to "trap" a deer. iamyourhuckleberry posted earlier that him and 5 other pro hunters couldn't kill even 1 of 6 elk in a 1,200 acre fenced area. The more area a deer has to roam the better his chances are IMO. We all hunt funnels for a reason
If you think this is not divisive.....you need look no further than the pages of this forum. I've had people belittling and busting on me for the area and methods I employ to hunt deer. EVERY DEER I've ever shot is free-ranging. They're not fenced or bound by rivers or anything else. They could go anywhere....and I'm sure some DO. it's all about the funnels, like posted above.

Is it hunting when I "call a shot" and then follow through on it? That's just having fun. As a college baseball player....I don't remember arriving at too many parks and not exclaiming...."this place can't hold me", either. THAT was said in fun, too (though it worked out sometimes).

I hunted about 20-25 times in '05....and I saw MAYBE 60-80 deer. I saw a LOT more this year becasue I learned where they were.

Is it more challenging to get a date when there's 2 women in the bar and you look like pee wee herman? Sure. Is it less challenging when you're the only guy and you look like Tom Selek? Sure!

Why do people care???
Old 02-05-2007, 07:40 AM

well you can look @ this one anyway you want to.
I think everyone should just keep doing what makes them happy.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I see what you are saying..........but the sheer vast area of 10,000 acres makes me think it would be awful hard to "trap" a deer. iamyourhuckleberry posted earlier that him and 5 other pro hunters couldn't kill even 1 of 6 elk in a 1,200 acre fenced area. The more area a deer has to roam the better his chances are IMO. We all hunt funnels for a reason
If you think this is not divisive.....you need look no further than the pages of this forum. I've had people belittling and busting on me for the area and methods I employ to hunt deer. EVERY DEER I've ever shot is free-ranging. They're not fenced or bound by rivers or anything else. They could go anywhere....and I'm sure some DO. it's all about the funnels, like posted above.

Is it hunting when I "call a shot" and then follow through on it? That's just having fun. As a college baseball player....I don't remember arriving at too many parks and not exclaiming...."this place can't hold me", either. THAT was said in fun, too (though it worked out sometimes).

I hunted about 20-25 times in '05....and I saw MAYBE 60-80 deer. I saw a LOT more this year becasue I learned where they were.

Is it more challenging to get a date when there's 2 women in the bar and you look like pee wee herman? Sure. Is it less challenging when you're the only guy and you look like Tom Selek? Sure!

Why do people care???
So they can justify to themselves what great hunter they are in their own little world. If I kill deer on public land with over 250,000 acers I am a better hunter than those suburban hunters.

If it is legal and you are enjoying yourself, I suggest you tell the folks who are so worried about how you hunt, and feel the need to justify your kills to....

Go pound sand
Old 02-05-2007, 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

If it is legal and you are enjoying yourself, I suggest you tell the folks who are so worried about how you hunt, and feel the need to justify your kills to....

Go pound sand
That would mean so much more if it wasn't 100% hypocritical.

Read the thread..........it's not about any one way of "hunting" or another. We see and read the comments EVERY day in this forum about certain ways of "hunting" that many people consider "too easy", "no challenge", "not fair", "not sporting", "no skill", "more shooting then hunting".

For some people this defines something as routine as just picking up a gun...........for some it's a long range rifle.........for others it's food plots or suburban petting zoos.........for some it's outfitters.........for some it's fences...........for some it's crossbows...........for some it's compounds..........for some it's treestands.........for some it's bait........for some it's dogs..........for some it's QDM.........for some it's a mixture of any/or all of the above.

The question was simple.............where is the line for you?

Do you gun hunt germ?

To actually type your above quote in the same thread where you bragged about going to the taxidermence every year is hilarious.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:55 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Why do people care???
And you have done the same. A trapping post comes to mind. If you post garabage... expect it back. Really sucks when you do everything legal, respect the game your afterand promote it in a good light only to have one of your ownslam you. An Anti couldn't have done a better job of painting a picture of a trapper. That trappingpost didhit a nerve. If you read my reply on that thread to you, I hoped you likedmy garbage in return.I see your stillmissing the bigger picture though. You condemnsomeone's passion,They will likely condemn your's in return. It's how the world works. NO... I am not jealous of youor your hunting area. I doubt many are if any on this board.Let's get real!!

Tim

Old 02-06-2007, 05:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Tim:

Sorry.....I have NO IDEA what you're talking about. If you're talking about this (below).....it was written in response to a different thread where people were telling others to not clean up their kills for photos and to be proud of not siphoning out potentially abrasive images before sharing them with the general public. I think my follow up paragraph states my feelings on trapping JUST FINE.

Heck NO! Trappers be proud!! You aren't doing anything illegal. Smear some blood on the animals and ride around town with your animals still in the traps....decorating your truck. Tell everyone that asks how it almost chewed its' own leg off before you got up to it and pierced its skull with your .22. Good SHOT!!

The aforementioned was stated in jest.....kind of. I won't get into my thoughts on trapping.....but will add that it's legal....and that trappers (the ones I know) are pretty careful in how they allow the public to see what they do. They do a good job of flying under the radar.....and we'd do well to follow their lead.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted plenty of ways, high fence (army bases - have fences around them and are as big as some counties), with dogs, man drives, on fields, in woods, on private land, on public land, alone, with friends, with guns, bows, blackpowder, from stands, andfrom the ground. I've enjoyed every one of those experiences for various reasons and to varying degrees. I prefer some methods over others and am more successful with some methods than others. They were all hunting experiences and they all beat sitting at my desk working or reading threads about what hunting really is.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: Germ

Go pound sand

Read the thread..........it's not about any one way of "hunting" or another. We see and read the comments EVERY day in this forum about certain ways of "hunting" that many people consider "too easy", "no challenge", "not fair", "not sporting", "no skill", "more shooting then hunting".

For some people this defines something as routine as just picking up a gun...........for some it's a long range rifle.........for others it's food plots or suburban petting zoos.........for some it's outfitters.........for some it's fences...........for some it's crossbows...........for some it's compounds..........for some it's treestands.........for some it's bait........for some it's dogs..........for some it's QDM.........for some it's a mixture of any/or all of the above.

Do you gun hunt germ?

To actually type your above quote in the same thread where you bragged about going to the taxidermence every year is hilarious.
Well that is just giving you crap Atlas; maybe one day you will figure it out

I do not go taxidermistevery year, I wish Notice the wink, you keep trying, but as normal you come up short

I could really careless how other people hunt; I have enough confidence in myself notto get hung up on what others are doing. Only those with self esteem issues would worry so much Atlas

Just think you bragged about having many taxidermists, I guess I am smart enough to see when a person is joking
He it is for the third time, please pay attention
If it is legal have at it

Ok Atlas We know you like to stir pots. Man I hear you make a great chicken noodle soup

Man I thought you were smarter, LOL I was trying to save myself after butchering the word "Taxidermist", but as normal you try and make something out of nothing. By the way you spelled it wrong

Quick Reply: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.