Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Old 02-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

It was asked what the difference between a many thousand acre high fence ranch vs a small acre isolated suburban "honey Hole" setting is. With the mind set that neither animal is going anywhere. To me there is a big difference and that is in the small "honey hole", deer can and sometimes do leave. They most likely will not, but they CAN. With the high fence there is no way to leave. Deer have been known to travel great distances (even in suburban settings)and I'm sure the fence has stopped many many deer from leaving, no matter how big the ranch. After all why did they build the fence in the first place....not to keep trespassers out that's for sure.
All things being equal I will bet my money on the deer that gets to roam over 15.5 square miles vs the one that is stuck in 0.04 square miles.
I agree with that as long as all things are equal, but thay can't be. This is why I said it depended on where in the 10,000 acres the "hunt" takes place.

Where will you put your moneyif the deer are stuck in one corner of that10,000 acre ranch with a feeder and watering hole near by? Yeah, they have 10,000 acres on the ranch but now theycan only effectivelyescape in two directions. In this situation the size of the hunting area has been reduced considerably maybe even to the size of the small acre parcel, but here the deer are somewhat trapped.

I know the deer in the small acre parcel will probably stay there making it easier to find them and hunt them, but they don't have to, and they can run in any direction theychoose to.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:10 PM

I agree with that as long as all things are equal, but thay can't be. This is why I said it depended on where in the 10,000 acres the "hunt" takes place.
I thought you said where the 10,000 acres was.........kinda like location. I misunderstood your post.........your comment makes more sense now. When I said all things being equal I meant exactly that..........equal situations in each setting and my money goes on the deer with 15.5 square miles to roam vs being locked into 0.04 square miles.

Where will you put your moneyif the deer are stuck in one corner of that10,000 acre ranch with a feeder and watering hole near by?
Well if all things were equal there would be a feeder and watering hole in one corner of the small plot as well so again my answer would not change.

Yeah, they have 10,000 acres on the ranch but now theycan only effectivelyescape in two directions. In this situation the size of the hunting area has been reduced considerably maybe even to the size of the small acre parcel, but here the deer are somewhat trapped.
I see what you are saying..........but the sheer vast area of 10,000 acres makes me think it would be awful hard to "trap" a deer. iamyourhuckleberry posted earlier that him and 5 other pro hunters couldn't kill even 1 of 6 elk in a 1,200 acre fenced area. The more area a deer has to roam the better his chances are IMO. We all hunt funnels for a reason

I know the deer in the small acre parcel will probably stay there making it easier to find them and hunt them, but they don't have to, and they can run in any direction theychoose to.
What is worse?? running for 5 miles before hitting a fence that just turns you left or right for another few miles all in thick woods??...........or running a 1/4 mile and hitting a road with nothing but houses and parking lots on the other side and no woods??
Old 02-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Is it just me, or does anyone else blank out when someone includes more than one "QUOTE" in a reply. Who has time to read all that Crap. And when we get to 3 and 4, frankly, most of us roll our eyes and say, "NOT AGAIN"?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Site Bouncer

I thought you said where the 10,000 acres was.........kinda like location. I misunderstood your post.........your comment makes more sense now. When I said all things being equal I meant exactly that..........equal situations in each setting and my money goes on the deer with 15.5 square miles to roam vs being locked into 0.04 square miles.

Where will you put your moneyif the deer are stuck in one corner of that10,000 acre ranch with a feeder and watering hole near by?
Well if all things were equal there would be a feeder and watering hole in one corner of the small plot as well so again my answer would not change.

Yeah, they have 10,000 acres on the ranch but now theycan only effectivelyescape in two directions. In this situation the size of the hunting area has been reduced considerably maybe even to the size of the small acre parcel, but here the deer are somewhat trapped.
I see what you are saying..........but the sheer vast area of 10,000 acres makes me think it would be awful hard to "trap" a deer. iamyourhuckleberry posted earlier that him and 5 other pro hunters couldn't kill even 1 of 6 elk in a 1,200 acre fenced area. The more area a deer has to roam the better his chances are IMO. We all hunt funnels for a reason

What is worse?? running for 5 miles before hitting a fence that just turns you left or right for another few miles all in thick woods??...........or running a 1/4 mile and hitting a road with nothing but houses and parking lots on the other side and no woods??
I agree with most of what you have posted, I think the elk hunt was as tough and it was reported, again different degrees of what I was saying.

It would be fairly easy to keep deer in a certian area like the corner of a big fenced ranch or even in the middle for that matter, just provide plenty of food and water in that area and set up in a position to put the deer between you and the fence. Not much unlike what others do even without a fence. The deer in your back yard come for a reason and they will continue to show up too. There is also a reason why you don't shoot them too. Becides the potential legal issues you have made it clear that you would not "hunt" those deer even if you could.

Again, the cornering of the deer in the 10,000 acre fenced ranch is a hypothetical situation, I don't know if that is what happens, although if I thought of it I'm sure someone elsesomewhere did as well.

If the "hunt" took place right smack dab in the middle of the 10,000 acres with no food plot and no water or attractant of any kind it would be a totally different situation. Your not going to find too many like that because they fence them in for a reason........but it does make you think.

Great subject, I like to read the different views people have. I personally would not have any fences or food plots or anything at all if I owned 10,000 acres. I like to scout and shoot what Mother Nature provided be it a small acre parcel or a huge acre ranch. To me that's hunting.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:39 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Don't speak for "US".

ORIGINAL: davidmil

frankly, most of us roll our eyes and say, "NOT AGAIN"?
C'mon Dave..........Practice what you preach

Old 02-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Dominant Buck

C'mon Dave..........Practice what you preach [align=right]
[/align]
Honestly, I didn't use one Quote in my last reply.[8D]

Old 02-02-2007, 11:09 PM

I agree with most of what you have posted, I think the elk hunt was as tough and it was reported, again different degrees of what I was saying.
Yea........that was interesting to me. I bet most people would go into that situation thinking it was a slam dunk-shootin' fish in a barrell type thing.

It would be fairly easy to keep deer in a certian area like the corner of a big fenced ranch or even in the middle for that matter, just provide plenty of food and water in that area and set up in a position to put the deer between you and the fence. Not much unlike what others do even without a fence.
I agree..........that can be accomplished with or without a fence in place.

The deer in your back yard come for a reason and they will continue to show up too. There is also a reason why you don't shoot them too. Becides the potential legal issues you have made it clear that you would not "hunt" those deer even if you could.
Exactly..........and there is no fence keeping them anywhere. Those deer can't be hunted.........you could kill every last one of them VERY easily though.

Again, the cornering of the deer in the 10,000 acre fenced ranch is a hypothetical situation, I don't know if that is what happens, although if I thought of it I'm sure someone elsesomewhere did as well.
I know you just meant hypothetical and I have no idea what goes on inside a huge fenced ranch either. If I had to guess I would say that having 10,000 acres of land is pretty wasteful if you are just gonna corner them in 5 acres to shoot. I would think that people just "hunt" those 10,000 acres and it's up to them to find and kill the deer just like fishing in a stocked pond. Fences of that magnitude are nothing more then extreme QDM (making SURE your neighbors don't shoot your deer) and in place to protect the assets/investment of the land owner. Let's face it, if you are gonna sell hunts on your property would you want all your neighbors killing deer you could be getting $5,000 for?? I wouldn't. I fence my garden in........not to keep the veggies in........to keep the animals out because I want to protect what is inside so I can harvest it.

If the "hunt" took place right smack dab in the middle of the 10,000 acres with no food plot and no water or attractant of any kind it would be a totally different situation. Your not going to find too many like that because they fence them in for a reason........but it does make you think.
I assumed that IS what it would be like........perhaps naively. I don't see why you would fence in 10,000 acres if you are only gonna use 20........not only that but 10,000 acres is impossible to control. It is over 15 1/2 square miles..........if a deer doesn't want to go somewhere he isn't gonna. My guess is that the population is VERY dense within and this overcomes the need to hoard them into certain areas.

Great subject, I like to read the different views people have. I personally would not have any fences or food plots or anything at all if I owned 10,000 acres. I like to scout and shoot what Mother Nature provided be it a small acre parcel or a huge acre ranch. To me that's hunting.
I can't imagine the cost involved in fencing an area that large........wow. I wonder what the biggest fenced ranch is? I would imagine that you still would have to do plenty of scouting inside a 10,000 acre ranch.........fence or not.

I would just like to own 10,000 acres.............period.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Site Bouncer

I assumed that IS what it would be like........perhaps naively. I don't see why you would fence in 10,000 acres if you are only gonna use 20........not only that but 10,000 acres is impossible to control. It is over 15 1/2 square miles..........if a deer doesn't want to go somewhere he isn't gonna. My guess is that the population is VERY dense within and this overcomes the need to hoard them into certain areas.

Maybe this is what sticks in my crawl and makes it seem less like hunting. I think, no matter how big the fenced range (Most probably aren't as big as 10,000 acres) you still have some control if not a lot of control over the deer. I too believe most fence them in soto protect their income, it then stands to reason they would try to produce as many deer especially trophy bucks as they can. So even if it were a huge ranch, they are still grownig deer and that takes away from the hunt....for me.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:58 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

To me... guided hunts, bait piles, feeding ( supplimenting ), food plots, orhunting in a fence takes away fromthe hunting experiencein varying degrees to the point ofjust shooting. I don't use these things when I hunt because I like trying tobeating them at their own game under natural conditions. Hunting has to be challenging for me. Even with rifle, I like getting close as possible with most of my kills 50 yardsand under. Trust me it is open country here and if a guy wanted to go the other way... 400 - 700 yards shots sitting ona hill would be easy to do but then that is just shooting to me.

In the next couple years before Tyler heads to college, we are hoping to meet/visit Shed33 and go elk hunting with him. Since I've never hunted elk, itwould fall undera guided hunt so to speak. If Tyler or I would happen to shoot an elk... it would beTroys hunting ability that made it possible for the most part no doubt. He promised me a world record elk... he better deliver!! We hope to learn and experience his way of life and hunting. Is itjust shooting?? Who cares. I plain on having a good time.

Bottom line... I know what is hunting or shooting to me. I hunt to make me happy, not anyone else. I hunt legal. Seems a simple concept and it works for me.

Tim

Old 02-03-2007, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tim you said it. With a guide it's a team effort. On a trip such as you describe you don't have the time it takes to learn the game and go out yourself. Nothing wrong with that!

Quick Reply: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.