Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Old 02-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Anything you work hard for is more rewarding, but if I'm going to Florida for aweek have no boat I need to hire a guide to go tarpon fishing, Even if I did have a boat I don't have the time to figure the game out! Yes it would be way more rewarding to do it myself!
Old 02-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Germ

Maybe one day we will learn this, and let folks hunt with the way they want without judging, analyzing or picking apart how they choose to hunt.
Good point, but not gonna happen.... people always want to look down on others... it's a subconcience way of soothing our male-inferiority complexes....

aka... mine is bigger than yours.... hence B&C and P&Y.... but I suppose that's another soapbox for another day....

Atlasman, you da man bro... nobody knows how to stir the pot better!

I agree with the guy who said, If you're enjoying what you do, and it's legal and by basic definition ethical, go for it. This is exactly why our nation was founded on the concept of sovereign states. The fact that localized populations can better rule their local traditions and laws without interference from the larger nation.

Just try telling someone in Brittain that "Cricket" isn't a real sport, because baseball is more strenuous....

My wife shot her first deer over corn with a .308 at about 85 yards... you just try and tell her she's not a real hunter... go ahead... I dare ya....

Old 02-02-2007, 07:47 PM

I'm not, I used tree stand as an example. Your summit is safe!
WHHHHHHHHHHHHEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking nah, LOL and type non
Ummmmm.........OK.

I will fire my laptop up this weekend and send you the stats on the dover bill. We had 750,000 yes votes(from memory), we have about 750,000 hunters. I polled 120 members at our club on sunday. I am sad to say less then have even voted, and ten members voted no.
Could be worse...........less then half of them could have voted. (that was a joke relax)

That is right you do have 1 mount
1 shoulder mount..........and a few from the flesh eating beetle farm. I like the way those come out........very cool to see in action but man do they stink!!

It was with a gun, so not much of a challenge(That was a joke relax)
That's ok..........he was in bow range

That is kinda what the whole thread is about though germ..........lots of bowhunters view gun kills as less of an accomplishment........and the farther the gun shot gets the stronger that opinion gets.....but that is only a drop in the bucket.

It's no secret that many people view killing deer in certain ways as "less" of an accomplishment (cute way of saying not really "hunting"). Just watch the forum every year and you will see threads slamming gun hunters. I don't think we need to pretend that this mind set doesn't exist. We all know the things that some roll their eyes at and others don't. Could be gun hunting, rifles, treestands, crossbows, food plots, petting zoo suburbs, baiting, fences, drives, outfitters, etc.........doesn't really matter which one you choose there will be people out there that view it as too "easy" or less of an accomplishment or "shooting" not "hunting" No matter how you phrase it the mindset exists and each and every person has a different subjective input.

There is no right or wrong.........just subjective opinion. How could I possibly tell someone who grew up hunting while wandering the open prairie out west that he should view treestands as "hunting"?? or how about the guy who has done nothing but traditional bowhunt his whole life..........can you really fault him if he doesn't see a 300 yard rifle shot as much of a challenge?? Start a thread on baiting or hunting with dogs and you will get more then a few people to chime in that aren't too impressed.

We all know it's all hunting if it's legal and so on....no one is out to vote someone elses rights away........but we all also know that there are probably no people out there that don't hold the above opinion about a certain "way" of hunting and each person has their own subjective reasons for why that is.

All I did was ask where this line is drawn for different people. I thought the results would be interesting.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Davoh

Maybe one day we will learn this, and let folks hunt with the way they want without judging, analyzing or picking apart how they choose to hunt.
Good point, but not gonna happen.... people always want to look down on others... it's a subconcience way of soothing our male-inferiority complexes....

aka... mine is bigger than yours.... hence B&C and P&Y.... but I suppose that's another soapbox for another day....

Atlasman, you da man bro... nobody knows how to stir the pot better!

I agree with the guy who said, If you're enjoying what you do, and it's legal and by basic definition ethical, go for it. This is exactly why our nation was founded on the concept of sovereign states. The fact that localized populations can better rule their local traditions and laws without interference from the larger nation.

Just try telling someone in Brittain that "Cricket" isn't a real sport, because baseball is more strenuous....

My wife shot her first deer over corn with a .308 at about 85 yards... you just try and tell her she's not a real hunter... go ahead... I dare ya....
Davoh I agree with you, tell your wife congrats.

Yes I know exactly where Atlas is going
Old 02-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Yes I know exactly where Atlas is going
Where?

Old 02-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I want it to be a challenge, I am not just going to tell you.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Davoh, you are 100% right...

The sad thing(at least tome):

Hunting would mean absolutely nothingformany of us if we didn't have friends with whom we could shareour success and short comings. It also seems to me that we should all try to find more friends and make less enemiesif we desire tothoroughly enjoy our sport.

I thinka lot of what I see comes from "big chest" syndrome. But, I also believe muchof whatcomes out hereisstated by individuals withvery little practicle experience. How many times have you heard "I do not have to rob a bank to know it's wrong"? To me, that is a stupid statement! Robbing a bank is illegal! You do have to taste cake to know if it's bitter or sweet-tasting cake is legal. If you have never tasted cake, how can you give a truthful opinion?

I would like to see the" I think hunting"opinions replacedby the" I know hunting...Why? because I've been there done that" statements!

And yes, Atlas is great at stirring the pot. However, let's give credit where credit is due. Atlas makes us all think!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: flyfishpj

I see hunting as a thing that is worked towards, hard work that is. Shooting occurs when it is very easy. You basically walk outside and take a shot (high fence, ranches, etc.).
Another vote for the challenge of it.

What do you think about hunts where there is no fence but killing a deer is as simple as not missing??

I notice that many guys despise the thought of a "guaranteed" kill when a fence is present............yet when the same situation exists and there is no fence it often doesn't get mentioned.
I think that these situations may seem like that, but it is because people do hard work to get there. I have never seen or heard of a place that is not fenced, etc, that is so easy. Maybe I am wrong, but I think the people that say this happens to them and such that they are just suprised that this hard work really helped so they just assumed they got lucky.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Dominant Buck

people always want to look down on others... it's a subconcience way of soothing our male-inferiority complexes....

You were on a roll until this. Many of us are not even close to thinking this way. I don't give a flip what you do or don't do or how you do it. I don't do anythingto do with actualhunting for anyone else to look at or judge. I hunt for me in my way. If you want to have inferiority complex discussions talk to someone else. Don't speak for "US". I don't do Pope and Young and all that. It's just for me, not a book.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is kinda what the whole thread is about though germ..........lots of bowhunters view gun kills as less of an accomplishment........and the farther the gun shot gets the stronger that opinion gets.....but that is only a drop in the bucket.

It's no secret that many people view killing deer in certain ways as "less" of an accomplishment (cute way of saying not really "hunting"). Just watch the forum every year and you will see threads slamming gun hunters. I don't think we need to pretend that this mind set doesn't exist. We all know the things that some roll their eyes at and others don't. Could be gun hunting, rifles, treestands, crossbows, food plots, petting zoo suburbs, baiting, fences, drives, outfitters, etc.........doesn't really matter which one you choose there will be people out there that view it as too "easy" or less of an accomplishment or "shooting" not "hunting" No matter how you phrase it the mindset exists and each and every person has a different subjective input.
Yep I agree, ego's and jealousy Atlas. I was just writing close to the same thing.

My main line was, "The challenge is different for us all, and I hope we can learn to respect each others challenges. In the way he or she chooses to hunt. At the end of the day is not about how hard the challenge was, or how big deer was we shot. It is about the freedom tohunt, and yes it is that simple".

Your above post iswhy I am just done with the bickering. It is not just hunting, it is camo, bows, cars, and our jobs. Like were in a race to prove we're better then everyone else, and we do not care who we run over to get there.

I have to admit it was a very civil thread

Quick Reply: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.