Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Old 02-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

To say all high fenced hunts are easy is like saying all roads in the USA are flat. Makes no sense to me. We/I know this is not true. Why? Because I am not so stigmitized by the fence that I'm unwilling to venture into it. I have crashed and burned many times onhigh fence curves. Just recently, Myself and five professional hunters were ask to help the Colorado Division of Wildlife remove six bull elk from 1200 acres of high fence. We failed miserably for six days and a helicopter was brought in . The animals were killed from the air. I had my " I'm the might hunter" a$$ handed to me! There was nothing easy about this hunt atall! The fact that we failed to kill any of the animals elimated any conceptof a "guarantee".What appears "easy" on the surface may indeed be very"difficult"! But, you will never know useless you are willing to ascertain the truth. Isn't it the "truth" we are all seeking? Each one of us must findtruth individually-that's what makes me me and you you.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

I go there almost every year
Just think how happy he will be that you finally stop calling him a taxidermence.

I pray you are right Atlas;
Me too. I don't think we will be seeing any treestand votes any time soon so I won't lose much sleep over it.

a pile of hunters voted against the Dove Bill here in MI. Becasue they did not view it as "HUNTING" to them.
How many is "a pile"...........and how do you know what made them vote the way they did?? I don't know the details of the vote.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: flyfishpj

I see hunting as a thing that is worked towards, hard work that is. Shooting occurs when it is very easy. You basically walk outside and take a shot (high fence, ranches, etc.).
Another vote for the challenge of it.

What do you think about hunts where there is no fence but killing a deer is as simple as not missing??

I notice that many guys despise the thought of a "guaranteed" kill when a fence is present............yet when the same situation exists and there is no fence it often doesn't get mentioned.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: flyfishpj

I see hunting as a thing that is worked towards, hard work that is. Shooting occurs when it is very easy. You basically walk outside and take a shot (high fence, ranches, etc.).
Another vote for the challenge of it.

What do you think about hunts where there is no fence but killing a deer is as simple as not missing??

I notice that many guys despise the thought of a "guaranteed" kill when a fence is present............yet when the same situation exists and there is no fence it often doesn't get mentioned.
atlas ....do such places exist??? I have never seen one nor heard of one.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

It was asked what the difference between a many thousand acre high fence ranch vs a small acre isolated suburban "honey Hole" setting is. With the mind set that neither animal is going anywhere. To me there is a big difference and that is in the small "honey hole", deer can and sometimes do leave. They most likely will not, but they CAN. With the high fence there is no way to leave. Deer have been known to travel great distances (even in suburban settings)and I'm sure the fence has stopped many many deer from leaving, no matter how big the ranch. After all why did they build the fence in the first place....not to keep trespassers out that's for sure.
All things being equal I will bet my money on the deer that gets to roam over 15.5 square miles vs the one that is stuck in 0.04 square miles.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

To say all high fenced hunts are easy is like saying all roads in the USA are flat. Makes no sense to me. We/I know this is not true. Why? Because I am not so stigmitized by the fence that I'm unwilling to venture into it. I have crashed and burned many times onhigh fence curves. Just recently, Myself and five professional hunters were ask to help the Colorado Division of Wildlife remove six bull elk from 1200 acres of high fence. We failed miserably for six days and a helicopter was brought in . The animals were killed from the air. I had my " I'm the might hunter" a$$ handed to me! There was nothing easy about this hunt atall! The fact that we failed to kill any of the animals elimated any conceptof a "guarantee".What appears "easy" on the surface may indeed be very"difficult"! But, you will never know useless you are willing to ascertain the truth. Isn't it the "truth" we are all seeking? Each one of us must findtruth individually-that's what makes me me and you you.

That is why I asked early on if it was merely the fence that turned some people off..........I believe that the mere presence of a fence somewhere makes people immediately discount anything that goes on inside as not "hunting"..........when in reality there are countless areas where it would be "easier" to kill a deer (or elk) and there is no fence anywhere.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just think how happy he will be that you finally stop calling him a taxidermence.
Non he likes a consistant customer, maybe one day you will have a taxidermist Atlas

Me too. I don't think we will be seeing any treestand votes any time soon so I won't lose much sleep over it.
Not even closeBut maybe one day you will get it.

How many is "a pile"...........and how do you know what made them vote the way they did?? I don't know the details of the vote.
More than 1 is too many, want the details PM me I have them.

Vote for challenge, yes Atlas we know

Old 02-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel when you spend time hunting for sign an hanging tree stands an spending cold an warm dayswaiting in a tree stand, your hunting. If you are drove to a stand site with no prior knowledge you are waiting for a deer to come by so you can shoot it. I am not saying either one is wrong but the more I am involved the more rewarding the hunt
Old 02-02-2007, 06:38 PM

Non he likes a consistant customer, maybe one day you will have a taxidermist Atlas
What is non?.......yea, I should cut down to just one

I don't care for the sky is falling mindset........fear a vote on treestands if you want. I'll pass.

send 'em

Old 02-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: atlasman

What is non?.......yea, I should cut down to just one

I don't care for the sky is falling mindset........fear a vote on treestands if you want. I'll pass.

send 'em
I'm not, I used tree stand as an example. Your summit is safe!

I was thinking nah, LOL and type non

I will fire my laptop up this weekend and send you the stats on the dover bill. We had 1,137,379yes votes(from memory), we have about 750,000 hunters. I polled 120 members at our club on sunday. I am sad to say less then have even voted, and ten members voted no.

That is right you do have 1 mount It was with a gun, so not much of a challenge(That was a joke relax)

Quick Reply: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.