Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Old 02-02-2007, 01:40 PM

Default RE: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

ORIGINAL: Germ

To much pondering, really does not matter what people do Atlas or what they call it.
If having to matter is a requirement for discussion around here then watch out for the tumbleweeds.

Maybe one day we will learn respect what each other and how they choose to enjoy the outdoors.
Who said anything about not respecting others? There are 9 pages of people that have discussed this without disrespecting anyone or there way of enjoying the outdoors. Many of these people agree it is a good topic and obviously something worth discussing. If you don't then you don't have to post but don't try to make it into something it is not.

My best friends uncle laughs at treestands and if pinned down he would say it doesn't match what he would call "hunting"............No one can say that he is right or wrong because it is just his subjective opinion based mostly on the fact that he has killed deer off the ground for 30 years and "hiding" (his words) 25 feet up a tree is not what he considers "hunting". I don't think he is being disrespectful to anyone..........just honest. It's not his thing and he isn't afraid to say so.........he says it to us all the time. We laugh and make jokes about his relic of a bow and lincoln log arrows and we all have a good time.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great and if you read my first post you will see where I draw the line, try reading the post.
Great for you and your uncle, I am happy for you too. I will disagree, saying it is not hunting is not respect a way someone chooses to hunt. He is entitlied to do so, but would he vote for it?

If you posted this at ArcheryTalk the Texas fence war would have started, folks are just more civil here

Old 02-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh yeah

[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
Theydon't put marble tops on cheap furniture!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:01 PM

Great and if you read my first post you will see where I draw the line, try reading the post.
I did..........so having fun and being legal is your cut and dry definition. Great............thanks for chiming in. A lot of other people have posted that their opinion is different. That's what makes for good discussion.

Great for you and your uncle
He's not my uncle........try reading the post

I will disagree, saying it is not hunting is not respect a way someone chooses to hunt.
One more time...........in english please

He is entitlied to do so, but would he vote for it?
Geesh dude........don't get so wound up over stuff. It's a conversation germ, an opinion, a viewpoint........and it appears on these very forums quite often. Spare me the drama.

If you posted this at ArcheryTalk the Texas fence war would have started
Well, I didn't..........but if you would like to discuss things totally unrelated to the topic, my dog just walked by and it looks like his nails need trimming.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry, best friends uncle.

If you say it is not hunting like; Atlas best friend unclesays"Hunting from a tree stand is not hunting" The person does not respect the methodof hunting from a tree stand. If he does not respect it, my guess is when orif tree stand hunting comes to a vote in NY, Atlas best friend unclemight not vote with hunters.

No drama Atlas, just a question.

Ok now you go have fun, I have to run to the Taxidermence and pick up my 16 pointer. If you still need help with yahoo maps let me know. The internet can be tough I can speak binary much more better

Old 02-02-2007, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I love the challenge of finding the sign, hanging a stand or most often using my climber and seeing what happens. I have no desire to get to the point of watching deer for years and almost being able to name them all. But that's me. That's hunting to me. Sitting on a groomed food plot inside a fence and deciding..OK, you'll make the book this year I'm shooting you. Planting and planting so you can have more than the normal carrying capacity so you can watch 50 unpressuredbucks a nightin a field at once is not My kind of hunting. At this point it is shooting.
ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

For me,a "hunt"isa challenge.
For me, a "Shoot" is still a challenge. But, I expend very little energy participating...........Within a "shoot", there are usually guarantees..
ORIGINAL: tsoc

Personally for me it is tied to effort,challenge and satisfaction.
For me I would rather work my a-- off and shoot nothing than have something be to easy.I guess basically I want to earn it
ORIGINAL: laxdad

I do not find the presence/abscence of a fence on a reasonable property size (1500+) acres as being the measure of hunting. More depends on the nature of the "hunt". If one is totally on their own to search, find and shoot at a legalanimal of their choice than to me it is a hunt. I have trouble with the "managed hunts", on managed lands, where indivduals are placed in shooting positions, told what they can and cannot shoot, driven to their killlocation, etc.. To me this is simply shooting and I'd rather shoot at paper because I can do that in my backyard.

laxdad
ORIGINAL: mtfreezer

Nothing is more satisfing then working hard for your game. I do go to the Black Hills every year with my brother and dad but that really isn't true hunting to me. We just drive around looking for deer on logging and firetrails. We also walk some but anything we see is just by luck. No scouting involved.
ORIGINAL: Primitive Weapon

He was able to walk up within 20yds of the buffalo and the guide was like "hmmmm.....shoot the one on the left"

Personally, this was shooting to me. Not much different, in my opinion, than walking out into a pasture and shooting a cow with a bow.
ORIGINAL: njbuck22

I could easily go out with a gun in my area in season and kill deer every day, but i like the challenge, I personally cant understand how people will put in a 1-2 acre food plot and hunt over that, but yell at people and tell them that hunting over bait is noy hunting. In either circumstance you are adding a non native food that is changing the deers natural behavior.
As for fences, i have mixed views on them. I feel if you are in an enclosure that hampers the movement of the animal to where it cant avoid you, that isnt hunting. If you in 1000s of acres that are just habitat, that is more of a challenge than hunting some of the neighborhoods that i hunt. Damn, some of the properties that i hunt the challenge is to not shoot and wait for the biggest ones.

These posts were all made before I tried to condense. Sure seems like an awful lot of guys referring to the "challenge" as being at least partly responsible for what fits "their" opinion of "hunting" vs "shooting". No blankets in sight.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:50 PM

Sorry, best friends uncle.
Good job

If you say it is not hunting like; Atlas best friend unclesays"Hunting from a tree stand is not hunting" The person does not respect the methodof hunting from a tree stand. If he does not respect it, my guess is when orif tree stand hunting comes to a vote in NY, Atlas best friend unclemight not vote with hunters.
I think you are taking it WAY too literally.........it is not "hunting" to HIM........meaning HE wouldn't enjoy it. That is why the word is in quotes.........because it can and does mean different things to different people. That in no way means they don't recoginze and respect it as falling under the same umbrella of the sport we all love. To say that someone would vote against a certain kind of hunting because it is not one they enjoy is a rediculous stretch IMO.

No drama Atlas, just a question.
I don't see it as even close to realistic.

Ok now you go have fun, I have to run to the Taxidermence and pick up my 16 pointer. If you still need help with yahoo maps let me know. The internet can be tough I can speak binary much more better
You may be out there a long time if you are looking for a sign with taxidermence on it

Post some pics...........not like you weren't gonna. It amazes me how fast they return mounts in some places.

[/quote]
Old 02-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thx buddy taxidermist, good thing I go there almost every year
To say that someone would vote against a certain kind of hunting because it is not one they enjoy is a rediculous stretch IMO.
I pray you are right Atlas; by the way a pile of hunters voted against the Dove Bill here in MI. Becasue they did not view it as "HUNTING" to them. A persons views reflects how they vote.

I got it back so fast becasue I may have shot the highest scoring buck in MI with a bow NT in 2006 year. I have heard rumors of a 180+, but will see.

Germ
Old 02-02-2007, 03:26 PM

I see hunting as a thing that is worked towards, hard work that is. Shooting occurs when it is very easy. You basically walk outside and take a shot (high fence, ranches, etc.).
Old 02-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Site Bouncer

This question (as evident by the title) is very subjective.

My opinion is this.....If you are attempting to kill a free roaming animal with one of the many legal forms of weapon, thenI would consider that to be "hunting".

Anything else to me is not hunting. Notice I didn't say it was shooting per say just that it is not what I would consider hunting. Is someone who attempts to kill a whitetail in a 10,000 acre high fence hunting or shooting?? For me, neither. I would not consider that hunting due to the fence however it's not shooting either because that animal still needs to be scouted, stand location selected, shot, etc..... In these cases it depends on where in the 10,000 acres the "hunt" occures.

It was asked what the difference between a many thousand acre high fence ranch vs a small acre isolated suburban "honey Hole" setting is. With the mind set that neither animal is going anywhere. To me there is a big difference and that is in the small "honey hole", deer can and sometimes do leave. They most likely will not, but they CAN. With the high fence there is no way to leave. Deer have been known to travel great distances (even in suburban settings)and I'm sure the fence has stopped many many deer from leaving, no matter how big the ranch. After all why did they build the fence in the first place....not to keep trespassers out that's for sure.

If the "hunt" occures in a smaller acrehigh fence ranch then IMO you are leaning more to the "shooting" side of the question as the deer have far less options. Add in feeders, watering holes and motorized hunting platforms and it becomes even more of a "turkey shoot" to me.

For me there are varying degrees of "shooting" and hunting for that matter, butthe difference between to two is very clear.

Quick Reply: The subjective nature of what is considered "hunting" vs "shooting"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.