Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many BOW turkey hunters we gonna see this year?

Old 02-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many BOW turkey hunters we gonna see this year?

Definately will be using a bow this season!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Banned

Seeing birds while in a treesstand is one thing, but drawing on one and killing itis a whole nother story. Guys also can call them in the fall with the lost call. Neither sex is easier to kill IMO. There are just a lot more hens than toms so hens present themselves more often. Both of their sense of eyesight andhearing, coupled with the fearof being eaten by about anything that walks or flies the woods makes them a hard trophy to take withouta blind and just a bow. In a tree or on the ground, you take a turkey with a bow and without a blind, you have accomplished something that few bowhunters have. I have taken two in my life this way. One from the ground, sitting on a stool with a ghilley type outfit, and the other in a treestand wearing predator camo.I have seen tons of birds over the years, drawn on a few, but for one reason or another, couldn't get the shot off or they bust you and run or fly.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I agree with you, Rob.....and like I said....I know TONS of people who shoot 'em from treestands in the Fall. I counted 65 under me Thanksgiving day '05......and there wasn't many days I didn't see them while deer hunting, this past Fall. If it were legal.....I could have killed (_________).

Show me the TONS. Pics and their stories would be great. How do you know tons when it is illegal where you live? Just curious and trying to learn why it is hard for me andmy friends and not for yours.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

If you'll go back and look, Don....I said a LONG time back in this thread that I wasn't diminishing anyone's accomplishments with what I was saying. The ONLY reason I don't kill turkeys with my bow is........it's illegal. Trust me when I tell you I've drawn on turkeys from an elevated platform. I've thrown things at them. I've waved my hands at them.

There's an ashen hen I've drawn on several times (and no....I don't put the pin on her). She's a BEAUTIFUL bird and would be a trophy in anyone's eyes. She's untouchable in my county. We don't have an "either-sex" season.....so she can never be legally harvested.

If we had an unlimited harvest for Fall.....I'd bet $1K I could kill6 (I originallythought 10....but I hate for it to sound unbelievable....lol).
Old 02-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I totally disagree, I've drawn on many many turkeys while in a treestand wearing a variety of camouflages, they were just not in season so no shots. I've hunted many birds face to face on the ground, you blink wrong and they are gone, huge difference. IMO Flocked fall birds are much more relaxed than spring birds searching for the calling. Hens are much easier to call and take as well vs gobblers, spring or fall. The lost call is only one of many vocalizations that will call fall birds.

It's a good accomplishment taking a turkey from a treestand, just not a great one.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Maybe they're better shots than you, Don....I dunno.

I don't need to explain myself, again.....go back....it's in there.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Dominant Buck

OK, Don....

I was invited to join a deer lease in VA/WV (State line bisects the 2 separate leases). I didn't join.....but the guys in it are all friends of mine (they live around here). I don't know one of them that HASN'T killed a turkey from his treestand.

All I know is......they're not exactly Rod Keck(sp?).....ifyaknowwhatimean?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

I'll be out there with 3 of my daughters as well.... All bow hunting birds!!
Old 02-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

im kicking around the idea. if i ever get time to get back out in the yard and practice. if i do it itll be the first day of the season..make it or break it. jake or long beard. then itll be back to longbeards only with the shotgun. i never killed a jake and for some reason i wanna keep that streak going...long beards and sharp hooks do more for me i guess. but i would love to take one with the bow. first day on good private land is about the best opprotunity. but thats just because pressure is pretty rediculous. its funny how easy birds will come in that arent pressured. both spring longbeards i rolled so far have been in super secret spots during the first week that are usually not hunted. later in the season they become guys lasts resorts etc and become more pressured..but if you can find the right birds its doable. id love to take one with the bow...but not unless i get time to get back into practicing...which i doubt will happen. just too busy this semester
Old 02-01-2007, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be again this year in pursuit of the turkey with the bow in KS!

Quick Reply: How many BOW turkey hunters we gonna see this year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.