Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many BOW turkey hunters we gonna see this year?

Old 02-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: How many BOW turkey hunters we gonna see this year?

ORIGINAL: Copper31

GMMAT and ROBPA FYI it is illegal to take a turkey from an elevated tree stand in the state of WI.

I've never heard of that. I just finished reading all the regulations on their web site and found no mention of stand use at all. I believe that it is legal to hunt from an elevated tree stand in Wis.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

That would be a silly law GregH, it certainly no advantage to be elevated when it comes to birds, well with a bow anyway...
Old 02-01-2007, 02:16 PM

I'm gonna try to get one early with my shotgun and maybe, just maybe I'll get out there with the bow. I just don't have a good spot to leave up a ground blind while I'm not hunting without fear that it will get stolen.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:17 PM

I drew my Wisconsin tag again this year. I got first season April 12-16 for Unit 20. This will be my second year turkey hunting with a bow. Killed a 22# Tom with 11" beard the first time.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

I personally feel it is harder to take a turkey from a treestand than on the ground; bow or gun. Especially early spring or late season fall when there areno leaves to hide you. The birds in IA are leary of everything and anything. If they could smell, you would never get one. If I have a choice for an "easier" way to hunt a turkey, I am going with the ground. I can't imagine WI stating no turkeys from a treestand. A groundblind would be the 1st thing the lawmakers would attack before a treestand IMO.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:23 PM

I'll be attempting to take a PA bird with my recurve. It would just mean so much more to me to be able to take a bird with my recurve.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I personally feel it is harder to take a turkey from a treestand than on the ground; bow or gun. Especially early spring or late season fall when there areno leaves to hide you. The birds in IA are leary of everything and anything. If they could smell, you would never get one. If I have a choice for an "easier" way to hunt a turkey, I am going with the ground. I can't imagine WI stating no turkeys from a treestand. A groundblind would be the 1st thing the lawmakers would attack before a treestand IMO.
Perhaps in the spring when calling but not when one happens by in the fall, there is a huge difference in shooting a happen by turkey and one being called in as well as a huge difference in spring and fall as well as hens vs gobblers. I don't know anyone who hunts spring gobblers from a treestand by calling, that would be difficult and probably fruitless. IMO.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with you, Rob.....and like I said....I know TONS of people who shoot 'em from treestands in the Fall. I counted 65 under me Thanksgiving day '05......and there wasn't many days I didn't see them while deer hunting, this past Fall. If it were legal.....I could have killed (_________).

Old 02-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Turkey hunting with a bow is the only way to go and it's my only weapon I hunt with.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:46 PM

Purchased a Matrix from Mobow, so I'll definitely be going after them with my bow this spring.

Quick Reply: How many BOW turkey hunters we gonna see this year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.