Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone know...

Old 12-03-2002, 06:27 PM

Default Anyone know...

I'm looking to buy a bow and was checking out ebay auctions. Since I know almost nothing about bows I would only buy a new one at an online auction. Anyone know anything about a Bear Archery bow that would be in a box labeled "Bruin QD AVCW ST R.H. 29" 70"? I looked at the Bear homepage, but don't see anything about a Bruin model.
Thanks for any info.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:34 PM

Default RE: Anyone know...

Darin,

I suggest you find a friend that knows about bows 1st. You need to have a bow that meets your draw length. Also, make sure you are not overbowed (too much poundage). Are you shooting fingers? Some bows are not conducive to finger shooters because of finger pinch. There are some good deals on e-bay, but make sure the bow fits you, and not you fitting to the bow. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Since I know almost nothing about bows I would only buy a new one at an online auction. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

This statement is completly wrong. Go out and find a good archery shop around you. They know everything there is to know about bows. If you buy from ebay you will be makeing a big mistake since you don't know what correct draw length or anything like that. Go to the pro shop let them measure your draw length, draw and shoot a few bows then make you decision. Good luck

Old 12-03-2002, 09:58 PM

I guess I should clarify, I have done some research, talked to so guys at shops, etc. I know my draw length and have a good idea of what draw weight range I'm looking for. The reason I would only buy new on ebay is because otherwise I would really have no idea what condition the bow is in. I was just basically wondering if anyone knew anything about the Bear Archery Bruin model. Thanks for your advice though guys, no way I would buy anything without having gotten some reliable information first. I should have stated my question better. As long as I'm asking, what about the reflex bighorn? Good buy at $154? Thanks again
Old 12-04-2002, 04:38 AM

I dont know about the Bruin QD but one the guy's that attend our Bow camp uses a reflex bighorn and he likes it alot as far as compound's go I myself can't say for I use a Recurve and have never shot a compound to give an opion I do know that the Bear company have alot of fine bow's on the market,but if I were you I would go to a sporting good's store and actually see,feel and shoot before you buy
it and they will help you set it up right for you
Old 12-04-2002, 06:28 AM

Utah,
I'm in the same boat as you. I need to purchase a new bow this year and this is only my second year of bowhunting so I don't know alot about all the technical stuff about compound bows. After doing research and getting the advice of the other hunters on this forum, I'm going to a proshop for my new bow. There are many variables besides just draw length and poundage to consider. Your bow has to be set up for you. The peep sight needs to be adjusted to your eyes and anchor point, you need to have it tuned so that your arrows fly correctly, you need to choose the right arrow shaft for your bow's poundage, then the right broadhead for that shaft. Not to mention the different sights and arrow rests to consider. You may pay a little more for a bow at a proshop but the advice and expertise you get in getting the bow set up for you more than make up for the added costs. If you try and do all this yourself, like I did last year, just to save a few bucks, you'll end up spending more than you could ever hope to save because you'll end up buying everything twice. First the cheap stuff, then the right stuff. As far as what condition the bow is in, if the bow is used, the dealer has to sell it as used. The dealer at the pro shop has to abide by the same rules as the seller on Ebay does. Plus you have the added benefit of seeing the bow for yourself and making up your own mind BEFORE you buy it. Not after it has already been shipped to you. That's just my opinion. I hope this helps you. PS: As far as what the label says on the box, R.H. is right handed, 29&quot; is the draw length, and 70&quot; is 70 lb draw weight

KEEP IT LEGAL. KEEP IT SAFE. OR WE MAY NOT GET TO KEEP IT AT ALL.