Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Harvests other than deer

Old 01-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Harvests other than deer

After skimming a bunch of hunting magazines last night and looking at all the different North American Big game animals, it got me thinking about what others have harvested. Other than deer and small game, and some exotic animals in Texas, i havent taken any of the North American 27. What have species other than whitetail have you taken?
Old 01-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Harvests other than deer

With a bow other than deer, just coyotes and turkey.

We don't have any big game here in Ohio.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:40 PM

ground hogs
Old 01-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed a black bear,squirrels,chipmunk,gray fox and a man eating possum.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gutshot

I've killed a black bear,squirrels,chipmunk,gray fox and a man eating a possum.
You killed a man eating a possum???[8D]
Old 01-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, you got to watch they look slow but they're viscious.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, actually,the countis now up to 28. If they'd include Tule Elk, it'd be 29. *shrug*

Anywho, thus far it's just been Whitetails. That'll change later this year. I'll going out west for speed goats. Next year, it'll be Coues (maybe, if the funds allow) elk (American), muley, and maybe ( a BIG maybe), buffalo. 2009...definitely Couse if I don't do it in '08, maybe a bear and/or elk (Roosevelt, ifI bag the American), possibly a Columbian blacktail.
I think 2010 will find me in Alaska, that is if I don't get shot for going on all these hunts!

Yeah, I know I'm dreaming REALLY BIG. Can you really blame me? lol
Old 01-29-2007, 02:26 PM

besides whitetail, Ive shot some squirrels and rabbits with a bow. Thats about it, lol.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Only big game I've taken are whitetail and mule deer. Appling for elk, antelope, goat, and sheep tags this year to go along with the deep. Ihopefully will get luckyin the draw this year and get more than just deer tags. I havetaken all sorts of small game. Cotton tail rabbit, jack rabbit, skunk, badger, possum, porcupine, ground squirrel, muskrat, beaver, prairie dog, rattle snake,coyote,pheasant, and grouse. I am probably missing a few. Didn't go hunting for rattle snake. They just happened to be all over in the prairiedog town my buddy and I were hunting. It was in the fall and they were coming out of the prairie dogmoundsto warm up in the morning sun. We had to leave around noon. Once those things start warming up, they get really quick and we had a too many close calls. I would hate to get bit and be all most than an hour away from a hospital like we were.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The North American 27, or "Super Slam" as coined by Chuck Adams, includes:

Grizzly Bear, Black Bear, Polar Bear, Brown Bear, Woodland Caribou, Barren-Ground Caribou, Mt. Caribou, Quebec-Labrador Caribou, Dall Sheep, Stone Sheep, Rocky Mt. Bighorn Sheep, Desert Bighorn Sheep, Pronghorn Antelope, Rocky Mt. Goat, Mule Deer, White-tailed Deer, Coues Deer, Columbia Black-tailed Deer, Sitka Black-tailed Deer, Alaskan-Yukon Moose, Canada Moose, Shiras Moose, Roosevelt Elk, Rocky Mt. Elk, Musk Ox, Bison, and Cougar.

Other organizations (e.g. Safari Club International) recognize more species than those listed above-such as Wolf, Tules Elk, Desert Mule Deer, and Wolverine to name a few.

I have been chasing the North American 27 since 1992. Currently, I'm 14 animals intomy goal of all 27 (see bold type above). It has been a fun journey. I would recommend the pursuit of these 27 "Super" animal in a heart beat. You won't regret the chase-even when you come home with nothing!

Quick Reply: Harvests other than deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.