Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Harvests other than deer

Old 01-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Harvests other than deer

Huntingson,

All of my life I've been a very goal oriented individual. While in high school and after reading hundreds (if not thousands) of hunting magazines, I decided to hunt all the members of North American's deer-mule deer, white-tailed deer, moose, elk, and caribou. I completed that task in '92. It was about the same time Chuck Adams completed his Super Slam. After reading Mr. Adam's stories, I decided to make that my next goal. No, not all of my kills were with a bow. I took up bow hunting about 20 years ago and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Although bow hunting has been pretty my exclusive method recently, I do pull the rifle out on occasion. It's hard sometimes to forget my roots.

The goal of killing all 27 has provided me with some serious adventures. I have come home empty handed from numerous trips-it has not been easy. But, it sure has been fun! I doubt I'll ever take all 27 (being honest), but I will continue to strive forward. I have a Newfoundland moose (Eastern Canada)and Caribou (Woodland) hunt scheduled for October of this year. I will be hunting Griz in the fall of 2008. I have been applying for Dall sheep and Desert Bighorn in Alaska and Colorado since '92. I have all the preference points a person could have for Shiras Moose (Colorado). I failed to shoot a Coues deer this past December (Arizona) will make a return trip to that state in the future. I'm looking into doing my Musk Ox hunt in 2009.

I have a few other goals… to kill a decent representational deer in all fifty states and to complete SCI’s World Hunting Award (WHA) program. I would like to do as much hunting with a bow as possible-finding places to hunt in Europe with archery equipment is difficult (only six countries allow bows). I have shot 11 deer (that meet my criteria) in 15 different states. I’m well on my way to completing the WHA.

If you would care to look, here are some of the photos I’ve taken in my travels:

http://hunting.sendphotos.com/Album.aspx?hunting

Now, as far as the sub species…

You are missing a lot if you think they are the same. Each animal presents a whole new way of hunting/thinking. A Desert Mule deer, for example, is ten times harder to hunt than a Rocky Mt. Mule deer, IMO. The techniques involve in getting one verses the other are so different. The terrain is different, the weather is different. Each presents a completely different challenge! Your eyes/mind will be left wide open from the experience. Trying different species can be humbling, but worth the effort. I’d say, give it a try and good luck!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fox, Coyote, Rabbit, squirrel, Grouse
Old 01-30-2007, 01:07 PM

saw a video on the weekend of someone taking a buffallo with a bow... WOW,... i'd have a big code brown as i released that arrow....[:@] "please don't charge me.... please please please!"[:@][:@]
Old 01-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many Whitetails (over 100), 13-14 Mountain Mule Deer, Black Bears, Caribou, Elk, Wild Hogs, rams, Buffalo, Several Exotic Deer, Turkey & lots of small game. All with a Bow, I have never purchased a Biggame Gun tag but see nothing wrong for those that choose that as their sport.
2007 is the start of my 51st year of Bowhunting.