Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How can we really promote our sport? And should we?

Old 01-30-2007, 04:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How can we really promote our sport? And should we?

I 100% agree with the ASAP program and think we should educate as many children as possible into the sport of archery, not hunting. I have 4 daughters, 1 who bowhunts already, 2 coming in this spring for turkey and one who is only 3 but, loves to talk about hunting. Hunting is an acquired taste and most children won't want to do it but, they will all want to shoot at an indoor range at 3D targets. The ones that decide to hunt probably have family and friends that hunt already. The average age ofa bowhunter is right in the middle right now but, has gone up every year since the 80's. I'd like to see it stay that way and not have the average age go to the 60's. I'm not picking on people that hunt in their 60's, God knows I will be.
They teach all subjects in school but, not everyone grows up to play in the band or be a scientist. Give the children the opportunity and the choice to learn and the sport of archery will grow stronger as well as the support. Children love new things ecspecially if you can make it a game and a fun thing to do.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

First i think hunters have to put themselves out there in a better light.The gangs that cross posted land make us all look bad.Then,ethical shots,quick kills,and not parading a dead deer through town would help.Alot of non hunters shouldnt have to see that,they just dont understand.Theres alot of great ideas on this thread.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think theres a lot of ways you can influence people even if they show no interest in taking up hunting themselves.My inlaws are a good example.Most of them own no guns/bows, do no hunting, and dont really understand how anyone could "kill bambi".Thier kids then have no understanding of hunting, shooting, are taught guns are bad, and they should stay away from them.

Ive tried to show them what I do in a indirect way without shoving my ideals down anyones throat and it seems to be working ok.Ive introduced several of my nephews and a couple of my oldest sons friends to hunting and fishing.Ive introduced them all to shooting, thier kids no longer fear guns and have a good understanding of how to safely shoot them.Ive showed them that bows are perfectly legimate weapons for hunting and are both accurate and humane ways to kill animals.I started taking meat to family gatherings, a few deer steaks here and there and pretty soon they were all eating venison everytime I got it out, they know it more then just killing animals for the sake of killing them.Thier kids have all watched me process my own deer, by the end of the job instead of being grossed out they were helping to skin them and asking questions about what I was cutting off.Ive taken the kids along to help hang stands or to sit and watch a hunt without them actually having to take part in it.Ive taken them along to help track and recover deer.

You dont necesarily have to get them directly involved to promote the sport, just giving them a better understanding of it can go a long ways.My niece who was deathly afraid of guns is now one of the best shots Ive ever seen for a kid, I had her shooting quarters one day at about 20 yards with a pellet gun.My sons taken two deer, another nephew that grew up in a non hunting family got a pellet gun for his birthday with his parents approval, his parents also bought fishing licenses this year to take him out.My sons friend was hunting with me the day he got his first rabbitt, his mom called and thanked me for taking him and cleaning it for him to take home, she cooked it for him that night, she doesnt hunt and is single.The niece I talked about earliers considering taking a hunters safety course this year so she can go on her first hunt.Its win/win for everyone, they now understand what i do and why I do it, they tell people that dont what they know, thier kids are more likely to take it up at some point, and I get to take them out when thier ready and watch them take thier first animal.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Petasux,

Sounds like you live life to the fullest. It is great to see someone who receives fullfillment from sharing your interests with fam. In our family, I usually break the ice with the (Oh...you kill stuff huh.) crowd by cooking a nice meal for them at my place. By the time they've stuffedall the fresh bratwurst, summer sausage, steaks, etc.down, and they have lathered on the complements, I might say, "Yeah, that deer was good wasn't it." "That was deer?", "Yeah, no growth hormones, high in protein, and low in colesterol." If they want to go hunting/fishing/scouting/spotting/etc... at some point - I take them, and I focus on them being successful, because without that, the interest dies easily.

Gr8's attitude toward promotion is similar to mine. I have taken the opportunity to show, train and take hunting numerous interested parties in my bow hunting career, but few (if you are not around to nudge them) ever stay interested. However, they may do it again someday, you never know. It is awsome to take kids out bowhunting elk, when they hear that first elk bugle in the woods - they are hooked! All they jabber about is how soon can I hunt, when are you going to take me again?

As a member of our local shooting sports association, I help maintain our shooting/archery range from time to time. I have found that simply to volunteer to set up the archery targets in the spring and take them down in the fall helps alot. You might not think so, but quite a few people take advantage of those courses when you are not looking, that otherwise would not (like if people procrastinated and set them up late, etc.). Folks see those targets, get the bow out, dust it off and get excited to shoot with someone.

I certainly don't care for being in the public eye as a promotor of anything except my own business. I'm just not wired that way. The whole competition thing is good though I think. Yeah, I get miffed when someone is dogging in on some good bow-elk hunting spot I might have, but hey, you have to step back and think about it. Sometimes they are non-residents, and I will just move on until they get skunked and leave. Other times they are more local/in state. Sometimes I meet some good folks out there, some of my best friends in fact. I'm an ice breaker. Once they find out you are a good guy and willing to share without holding back, they either become a friend or feel guilty about being in your spot (and don't come back). Communication is the key.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

Kill more urban deer thus solving the over-grown rat problem homeowners have to deal with everyday.
You all think I'm kidding with my statement, but I'm serious. We hunt for our reasons, but we are protected by laws to serve a purpose. Our biggest sponsor is insurance companies. We either continue to play our part or there will be a disclaimer "Deer collisions not covered". Our next biggest sponser for bow hunting directly is the joe blow homeowner who spends a fortune replacing landscaping. I would include the farmer, but he supports gun more then bow because he wants dead deer period.
The way you wrote it kind of gives a guy a reason to chuckle, "over grown rats". I got your point and it's one way to promote the sport. I don't think that the lack of respect for the animal or the primal rage behind the statement will sell many of those non-hunting home owners on the safety of the idea. Kind of sounds like you may exit the woods with blood dripping down both checks and a crazed look in your eye.

I don't think I would use the line if I was trying to get permission to hunt a place (promote the sport). Very funny among hunters, the homie wouldn't get or appreciate the humor. IMO

All for the concept and am paying attention to the # of deer hit around here in hopes that they will issue more tags. I'd like one more. We have urban antlerless tags available, but the opportunities are very limited. Using one on the last day of the season. Do care if I fill it, but I'm not kidding myself. Just want to finish the season up right.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: eatsleephunt
I certainly don't care for being in the public eye as a promotor of anything except my own business. I'm just not wired that way. The whole competition thing is good though I think. Yeah, I get miffed when someone is dogging in on some good bow-elk hunting spot I might have, but hey, you have to step back and think about it. Sometimes they are non-residents, and I will just move on until they get skunked and leave. Other times they are more local/in state. Sometimes I meet some good folks out there, some of my best friends in fact. I'm an ice breaker. Once they find out you are a good guy and willing to share without holding back, they either become a friend or feel guilty about being in your spot (and don't come back). Communication is the key.
I like it!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have mixed feelings. I would love to promote archery/hunting because I enjoy the sport so much....but finding a place to hunt is hard enough. If more people pick up the sport, it will be really hard.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

While Pa certainly doesn't need anymore people setting foot in the woods than already are, I will help out in any way, anyone who comes to me with inquiries about bow hunting. My neighbors little boy bugged his parents for a bow cause he likes to watch me shoot in the yard. They got him one and now this year, his Dad is wanting to get back into hunting and archery more specific and I will be helping him get set up and shooting, etc.

Where I try to do my best for the sport is just being a good person, and sportsman in the public eye. EVERYONE knows I hunt, and its who I am. So if I'm a good guy as well, when they think of hunters, and think of nice guy me I think it helps our image. One of my toughest things to deal with is when a non hunter comes to me with a tough question about some yahoo who did something stupid to make hunters look bad, and I have to explain the way things are supposed to be.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

We definitely don't need any more archers in Pennsylvania. 300,000 people is far too many. I usually do everything in my power to talk a would-be beginner OUT of bowhunting, unless it's an individual who I know will be a credit to bowhunting at large (rare). Our deerwoods are bursting at the seams with untrained, greedy, unprofessional, unethical hacks who just continue to undermine our bowhunting tradition and heritage, and chip away at the foundation of our relationships with landowners, lessees, and law enforcement officers.

Call it what you like, but my experience doesn't lie. I've seen enough to lose all faith in my fellow Pennsylvania hunters. There are exceptions, there are thousands of good people out there. But, the sheer volume of bowhunters in this state is slowly eroding the enjoyability of my time afield. The number of unfavorable incidents with fellow woodsmen increases every year. It will continue to do so, until some people start hanging up the bow.

That said, I do what I can to be a credit to the bowhunting community - being as knowledgeable and polite as possible, trying to be a decent person, etc.. Common sense stuff.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

a lot of great stuff on here guys. I appreciate your comments, and have gained a new found and higher respect for a lot of you. Thanks again fellas.