Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How can we really promote our sport? And should we?

Old 01-29-2007, 12:30 PM

Default RE: How can we really promote our sport? And should we?

I like to think that the best way that, we as hunters, can promote our passion, is to involve and teach our children. I also think that being ready, willing and able to safe guard our freedoms and access to hunting land is essential as well. I like to think promotion,and not "corporatizing" hunting is the best.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

I like to think that the best way that, we as hunters, can promote our passion, is to involve and teach our children. I also think that being ready, willing and able to safe guard our freedoms and access to hunting land is essential as well. I like to think promotion,and not "corporatizing" hunting is the best.
well put. Children often think of their parents as their heroes (at least until they hit the teenage level i guess.) My biggest hunting influence came from my father when I was young and I will definitley pass this on to my kids when I have them. My brother just had his first kid about a week and a half ago, and he's already watching hunting shows with her. Couldn't be happier for him. And I know he'll have the kid shooting by the time she can pull a bow of any kind! You're right on. Kids are more important to get into the sport than we often realize.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:38 PM

All,
Very good points and respected. My grievence is that before to long there will not be any land to hunt on, Public or Private due to the ever increase of shopping malls and housing communities not to mention new roads. As for the "Promotion" of Archery compared to Bowhunting I believe it's 2 different animals and each are unique. 1 is competitioned based and equiped as such. The other is a way of life. I've never asked or persuaded anyone to join my way of life but if they so choose to become a part of it then I will help them in any way possible. In todays society of fast food, soy and organics rule. Hearty foods such as venison, elk, bear, squirrel, rabbit and many more are not looked at as a healthy food source because the facts are not marketed as such. These are foods from our way of life. Society todayis spoiled and blind but it's their way of life. I say introduce then newbies to ARCHERY 1st and Hunting last. This is just my opinion and in no way am I knocking anyone elses views or beliefs.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Kill more urban deer thus solving the over-grown rat problem homeowners have to deal with everyday.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

Kill more urban deer thus solving the over-grown rat problem homeowners have to deal with everyday.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that the emphasis should be on the youngsters,boys and girls.Education surrounding hunting and it's importance relative to management of the game populations,and the enjoyment and excitementthat comes with the beauty of the outdoors.The more youth programs the better! Nothing fire's me up more than seeing a young person who has a passion for hunting,I will gladly give up hunting time to helpa young person along.
In addition I would say that we need to be good citizens in our communities,a lot of influence comes from being a person who gives back to their community.This projects hunters in a positive light!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

You all think I'm kidding with my statement, but I'm serious. We hunt for our reasons, but we are protected by laws to serve a purpose. Our biggest sponsor is insurance companies. We either continue to play our part or there will be a disclaimer "Deer collisions not covered". Our next biggest sponser for bow hunting directly is the joe blow homeowner who spends a fortune replacing landscaping. I would include the farmer, but he supports gun more then bow because he wants dead deer period.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

Wonderfully said Red!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

Personally I have no intrest in promoting our sport to the public. I will, however, recruit and help my family and friends (and have done so) into the world of bowhunting and/archery if they are so inclined.

I do not wish to be an ambassador and encourage every yahoo out there to compete with me on public and private land.

I support "us" and help "us" when I can..but I'm not gonna actively recruit more of us just for the sake of it.

I agree with what your saying.... If we do invite every person to come hunt with a bow we are going to have to compete with a bunch of other people and it will turn into a kind of rifle season where all your best spots get taken by people who might not see the area as you see it...
Old 01-29-2007, 09:56 PM

Let me offer another perspective on promotion.
We, as bowhunters are under the watchful eye of all who know of us. Our actions in the field, the language we use, the attitude we have toward the game we pursue and our attitude toward other hunters and non-hunters are noticed.I believe the word is ethics.In general, I believe it takes a more mature attitude to do what we do. The impression we leave with the people we come in contact with will result in weather our sport will continue in the future.
It's not necessarily about promotion , but to preserve.

To say we are passionate about bowhunting is an understatement. We all will agree with that. But, it's thepassion that others see that will preserve and promote our sport.

Don't feel bad if you aren't recruiting like an Army recruiter.
Your enthusiasm will do that.
I know , because that's how I got addicted.

Quick Reply: How can we really promote our sport? And should we?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.