Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I don't use it cuz it don't work
29.41%
I don't use it cuz of high cost
17.65%
I use it and love it
10.59%
I've used it and it's a waste
11.76%
I use Scent Lok and love it
18.82%
I use Scent Blocker and love it
11.76%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Are you guys have any luck with Carbon Clothing?

Old 01-31-2007, 08:39 AM

Default RE: Are you guys have any luck with Carbon Clothing?

I bought the Scent Blocker 3D Real Leaf suit last year. I am extremely happy with it so far. But, to each their own.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:43 AM

Using my engineering degree )keep in mind I hated engineering and now am in Med school) and an open mind I looked at their science and technology behind scent-lok. Activated charcoal is actually very good at binding. It is used in the medical field for acute poisonings. The theory behind activated charcoal is sound in that it should be able to eliminate the odor causing substances that we emit however, how effective it is you could only really prove by testing. My biggest problem with it is that van der waal bonds are very very weak bonds in the chemical world and would lead me to believe that as more scent is "trapped" in the charcoal layer more would be getting kicked out into the atmosphere. It is a simple concentration gradient problem in that the larger the concentration of scent particles the more likely that one will break off a previously bonded particle and send it into the atmosphere. Because we are constantly releasing scent this would be a viscious circle in that we would constantly be releasing scent once a certain amount of the charcoal is used up. Hope this helps. I think on paper it is a good idea but I would have to see non-biased data to really make a decision one way or another. (The stuff on their site doesn't count)
Old 01-31-2007, 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I don't use it because it doesnt work and its too expensive. And I've said it before, but I'm going to say it anyway, Human have been able to take animals for thousands and thousands of years without, so why should I need it?
Glad you cleared that up for me, Burb. I think we took 'em for years without compund bows and treestands, too.....but I don't see people lining up to ditch those!
Good point, thats why I'm switching to trad bows
Old 01-31-2007, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: burbaust99

I don't use it because it doesnt work and its too expensive. And I've said it before, but I'm going to say it anyway, Human have been able to take animals for thousands and thousands of years without, so why should I need it?
Glad you cleared that up for me, Burb. I think we took 'em for years without compund bows and treestands, too.....but I don't see people lining up to ditch those!
Killed them before those also
Old 01-31-2007, 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: burbaust99

Killed them before those also

hehehe, could you imagine how p*ssed off PETA would be if we started hunting with a throwing lance or spear.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

We use Scentlok and if you take proper care of it and still spray down, use scent free bags it works. Still, hunting the wind is your best bet
Old 01-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put, Cuz it cost to much! I have a new top and bottom I was given a couple year's ago, but have not gotten around to picking up the gloves and face mask, no use trying it if most of your body heat is escapeing out your neck. We now have Gumafloge for our breath, my question is, Who is working on what, for Ear wax and Buggers! I will give mine a shot when I pick up the rest of the gear, no use trying it till then. In theory it should work to some extent as long as it is washed and reactivated when needed. I just don't know how long! I would also like to see good independent test done on it!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use it cuz it's so expensive and there is so many conflicting views on whether it works or not. If the majorityof folks were in agreement that the product worked, I'd probably spend the money and get some.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, some great points and views.. I work for a pro shop that carry's Scent Blocker and so I do get a discount but that's not to say that's it's cheap.. It is still very expensive..

Still torn but I may try it.. I really appreciate all the veiws and opinions.. Good to see the individual opinions on it, although I do wish they were all the same.. lol
Old 01-31-2007, 11:35 AM

Personally I use scent lok base layers, but does that mean they work? Probably not. Before every hunt i try to wash my clothes in baking soda to eliminate any odors. Then i put it into a scent lok bag, to keep as much odor out as possible. I feel that this is way more effective than any carbon suit out there. I personally feel that the carbon clothing is just a bunch of marketing crap, but that just me. The only reason i bought the base layers was because like many of others we didnt know much about it, so we tried it out to maybe get an edge over our game. I think by washing your clothes in baking soda or scent free wash, and spraying down before you go out are way more effective. Also, playing the wind is a big factor, but if the wind changes directions knowing your clothes were properly taken care of will give you a lot of confidence, and confidence is what you need to be succesful.

Quick Reply: Are you guys have any luck with Carbon Clothing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.