Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Suggestions On this Topo, PLEASE!

Old 01-22-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Suggestions On this Topo, PLEASE!

I'm sure a lot of you are tierd of seeing these things but I thought I would try my luck with getting your help. I have marked some of my points of intrest on this map. I would like to know if you see anymore and If you think I wrong about any of my choices. I can make larger maps but there over 100k, if you would like to see a larger image let me know.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:24 PM

Default RE: Suggestions On this Topo, PLEASE!

Here is another. Sorry my POI's are hard to see. There the red circles.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:29 PM

Looks like you have lots of real good funnel stands on saddles. If your seeing lots of deer in these areas, I would stick with your spots.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Have you heard of Google Earth? If not, this program will allow you to see satellite imagery of your hunting areas anywhere in the world in 3 dimensional 2 meter resolution. Some of the satellite images they have to offer are less than desirable, but if you are lucky the area you have selected will be visible.

The nice part about it is you can see information your USGS maps do not show, like grain fields, small drainage ditches, etc. that you might not have known were there. Especially considering the limited level of contour development in normal 2 dimensional mapping.

You can pan at any angle to select high points suitable for glassing, or look at the terrain from the animals' perspective in order to pre-determine how they might use the terrain to reach food or water sources. I have found that it really helps with western big game hunting, but it has its' merrits with regard to midwestern/eastern hunting as well.

If you have found saddles to be productive in your area for the species you are hunting, then stick with them. Saddles form somewhat of a bottle neck, which can be choice for funnelling game. They can also be a great location for keeping the wind favorable to your stand, however, they also appear to be quite a ways into the timber, and this can be problematic for access without detection. Your prey has more chance to catch your travel (to and from) scent after you are gone and learn to avoid you if you use these spots repeatedly. Also, if the wind is good for you through the saddle, it is not likely good for them. Look for some good side hill routes which appear to be less travelled for back-up locations after hunting season and pressure starts.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:20 PM

Thanks, eatsleephunt. That was very helpful, it's kinda weird that other people can't be that helpful on here. Thanks again.