Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New NC Law.....& herd management

Old 01-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New NC Law.....& herd management

Ist off, no insult, just stating a fact.If the deer aren't allowed to mature they will never be nice racked deer regardless of location, soil, food, or nutrients. You keep shooting the biggest deer in the woods and it is a forkie than this is evidentally a trend that a hunter wants to continue.
I'm just flabbergasted that you were the one that was suggesting spell-check. I guess I'm gonna have to address you, personally, with my signature. Where did I write anything, anywhere about shooting a forkie? Please expound....or are you reading your own thoughts into what I write?????

The main thing that helps IA with big deer is that our DNR has the insight to not allow guns in the woods during the rut. This has to be a HUGE factor as MN is aboveus and MO is below us with the same types of soil and geography but they don't get the big racked bucks like we do. They do have gun seasons in place during the rut, this is aBIG MISTAKE for a state that wants trophy deer. WE also don't allow centerfire rifles to be used during regular gun season and MN and MO do.Although I don't gun hunt deer, most of the gun hunters that I know in the state won't shoot a buck unless it ishas a decent rack or amature one,there are exceptions to this of course. I am only speaking of the gun hunters thatI know of in my area.Even when IA had a buck only gun tagpolicy 10 years ago, my buddies and I wouldn't shoot a buck unless hehad a decent rack or wasmature. Does have always been able to be taken with a bow so meat has never been an issue with passing on small bucks. Many years ago I shot small bucks but that policy changed when I matured as a whitetail hunter and my priorities changed. To each his own. Nothing wrong with small bucks if that is what you are happy with. You have stated that you are the only hunter allowed in this area. You therefore are in control. Let the bucks live, thin some mature does out ,and create your own trophy area, to hell with the rest of the state of NC. Manage your suburban area into big buck land. Since I would assumefood plots are not an option where you hunt, put some feed bunks out with minerals and supplemental feed in these areas away from where you directly hunt so as not to be hunting over or near bait. The cards are in your hands, make it a big buck paradise.
Since I have NO IDEA where that stuff came from......lol.....I'll just throw up my hands.

Jeff - the small buck killer

BTW, Don....thanks for telling me about baiting and how that's so bad....lol. It's actually legal in NC.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Banned

quoteGMATT BTW, Don....thanks for telling me about baiting and how that's so bad....lol. It's actually legal in NC. quote.

Thought you were wanting suggestions for your land. You state that does out number bucks like 8 to 1 and then yougo and shoot a little buck earlier thisyear to further off set the balance. I have read where you say that there are no big bucks on your place but you go and shoot one of or not the biggest buck on there, and he is little. You have stated in the past that you are the ONLY one allowed to hunt this. I have seen other guys on this forum state that they have to shoot small bucks as if they don't, it will die anyway around the next flat where the next hunter is waiting. From your writings, this is not your case. You took a buck on your timber and at 8 to 1 does to bucks, sounds like a bad mgmt choice. I gave you ideas as to how IA leads the nation in trophyWhitetails and how the DNR inour state encourages mature does taken and not the young does. Mature does are baby factories often having triplets. Shoot a mature doe and there is a good chance you took out four. As far as hunting whitetails over bait, I did not know it was legal in NC, it isn't in IA so I am not familiar with this type of whitetail hunting.It doesn't sound like it is a necessary way to hunt in this little suburb setting that you are hunting though.

Since you throw this statement at everyone all of the time, "Don't read into anything I post, only what I write." I will do the same to you.Show me where I said baiting is bad.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I have read where you say that there are no big bucks on your place but you go and shoot one of or not the biggest buck on there, and he is little.
You're a piece of work, Don....and I say that with a smile....lol. I've never complained about the size of bucks in my area. I've simply stated fact.

How did your deer compare to the other deer in your woods, this year??

My deer is "little".........lol. I can't win.

You took a buck on your timber and at 8 to 1 does to bucks, sounds like a bad mgmt choice.
Hey!! I agree!! That there's a smart statement. Thing is though, Don....I'd never killed a deer before this year....and I wasn't real choosy when I started. I'm trying to get better, though, buddy.......hence the post!

It doesn't sound like it is a necessary way to hunt in this little suburb setting that you are hunting though.
With the numbers of large deer you say your state boasts....it doesn't sound like it would be neccessary to go to an outfitter, either.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

Lost me on the outfitter comment.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

You and Sarah didn't hunt with an outfitter, this year??????
Old 01-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

You and Sarah didn't hunt with an outfitter, this year??????
Canada only while bear hunting as it is required. No outfitted hunts in my resume ever. We even hunt elk on our own.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't this great... sittin' on the computer.. just the guys... talkin' some trash...

Seriously.. where's Rob?

Old 01-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Duke:

I apologize....but when the out and out conjecture gets to flying it bothers me.

Plus....I'm kinda sensitive to the little deer killin part.....lol.

Later.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I have read where you say that there are no big bucks on your place but you go and shoot one of or not the biggest buck on there, and he is little.
You're a piece of work, Don....and I say that with a smile....lol. I've never complained about the size of bucks in my area. I've simply stated fact.

How did your deer compare to the other deer in your woods, this year??

My deer is "little".........lol. I can't win.

You took a buck on your timber and at 8 to 1 does to bucks, sounds like a bad mgmt choice.
Hey!! I agree!! That there's a smart statement. Thing is though, Don....I'd never killed a deer before this year....and I wasn't real choosy when I started. I'm trying to get better, though, buddy.......hence the post!

It doesn't sound like it is a necessary way to hunt in this little suburb setting that you are hunting though.
With the numbers of large deer you say your state boasts....it doesn't sound like it would be neccessary to go to an outfitter, either.

Chris....

I posted a LONG post on here the other day giving credit where credit was due. In there I mentioned just the people you're talking about (and gave them credit for MY season.....for they've helped ME a lot!). I also have said many times (especially in my INITIAL post about "calling my shot") that I mean NO disrepect to anyone OR the animals we pursue.

Yeah...I had a great year. It'll change the way I hunt, forever. I might not shoot 5 deer, next year. If I don't...it'll be because I chose not to. It won't be because they're not there. I don't apologize for having a large deer pop. I take offense to ANY mention that my hunting is a shooting gallery. I spent 46 days in those woods, this year......taking 4 animals. I spent one day elsewhere....taking 1. I passed on a LOT of deer. If I'm supposed to apologize for that......excuse me if I refrain. I'd NEVER begrudge anyone having TOO GOOD a spot to hunt.

It's not the way I roll.
Jeff

< Message edited by SBGobblers -- 12/18/2006 12:59:21 PM >

The deer are there and you passed on a lot according to your reply with Motown. If you choose not to kill 5 next year it is because you choose not to.(Pretty cocky, confident statement IMO) Istill don't understand why you would shoot a little buck when there are 8 does to one buck and killing is easy there. This post was only a month ago, why the change in direction and being concerned with herd mgmt? You also can't tell me that you wouldn't like to see the bucks reach maturity where you hunt. If you don't complain about the size of bucks here on the forum(which I think you have) you surely complain to your wife and close friends. Hell, everybody wants to take some huge antlers home someday. Has to be the case or you wouldn't have shot that little buck thisyear. I tried to give you some answers as to why we have big deer here in IA and how you could implement this mgmt into your land. All you want to do is argue.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

The deer are there and you passed on a lot according to your reply with Motown. If you choose not to kill 5 next year it is because you choose not to.(Pretty cocky, confident statement IMO) Istill don't understand why you would shoot a little buck when there are 8 does to one buck and killing is easy there.
Don....you can't write without condescending to me.....so why bother? So my deer are easy to kill......and you're the king of the forrest? Don....if you were as good as you think you are at this.....you wouldn't have to doll your wife up for harvest photos and pretend to have your own hunting show. There....I finally said what everyone here thinks. Like I said to Moho....WHY should I have to apologize for seeing a lot of deer. I didn't see half that number the first year I hunted (actually not 15%). It took me learning them and FINDING them. It took me gaining access to new area. It took scouting. It took a commitment. I won't apologize for putting in my time to reap the rewards.

Yeah. I passed on a LOT of deer. When you see 344 and have over 200 in bow range.....and you harvest 5.....you passed on a few. What's wrong with that? If I shot every deer that came by I'd be done by mid-Sept.

You keep eluding to me shooting little bucks???? I'm baffled, Don. Are you making fun of my contest entry? It was the first deer I'd ever shot.....and I was and AM still proud of him. Your philosopy on deer hunting and mine COMPLETELY differ. When the thread cam around a few months ago about picking the 5 states you'd most like to deer hunt in.....I chose NC, alone. I don't care about shooting the best bucks in the country. I want to shoot the best bucks in MY WOODS. Heck....I accomplished that. I feel darned good.

Istill don't understand why you would shoot a little buck when there are 8 does to one buck and killing is easy there.
OK, Don......because I didn't know any better? because I wanted to kill "A" buck?? Because every doe I saw had a fawn with her?? Pick one and run. I've never faltered from this/these stance(s).

This post was only a month ago, why the change in direction and being concerned with herd mgmt?
Because I'm evolving, Don??? Because I want to??? Because I have an opportunity (with the new law.....read the original post) to make a bigger difference?????

You also can't tell me that you wouldn't like to see the bucks reach maturity where you hunt.
Where'd that come from? When did I say I didn't. you're a master at pure conjecture, Don. Please expound.

If you don't complain about the size of bucks here on the forum(which I think you have) you surely complain to your wife and close friends.
I guess you complain to your wife about your size, too, Don. Now really.....who do you think you are putting words in my mouth? You're a piece of work. You have no idea of what I talk to my wife and friends about.

Has to be the case or you wouldn't have shot that little buck thisyear. I tried to give you some answers as to why we have big deer here in IA and how you could implement this mgmt into your land. All you want to do is argue.
Here we go round and round........

I disagreed with your entire premise behind why the deer are bigger in your state....and you want to belittle me when I disagree. That sound about right???

You kinda make me chuckle.............for a second....

Quick Reply: New NC Law.....& herd management

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.