Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is bowhunting to you?

Old 01-22-2007, 09:12 AM

Default What is bowhunting to you?

I started bowhunting and shooting in archery tourneys in 1998 when i was 15 years old. The first year came to end with no success. My second year hunting got it all started for me. I began to hunt with kshunter who is a longtime (lifelong)highschool friend. My life was changed after that year (1999). I was able to harvest my first deer which happens to be my largest, sporting 17pts and gross scoring over 200"! Every year since then bowhunting has been all about learning. Once out of high school it was off to college. I spent the first year and half taking courses in graphic design and decided that is wasn for me. The only other thing that interested me dealt with hunting and fishing so I started taking biology classes. Since school started finding time to get in the woods became harder and harder. Well here I am 6 years after starting college and This spring I will have my degree in Wildlife Biology!! I couldnt be happier with the path I chose.
Now I can truthfully state that bowhunting to me will be a lifetime of learning and patience. I have come to understand a great deal about the game we chase and the interactions they have with the surrounding taxonomy. You see even if i am in the woods and do not see any whitetail or turkey [which is highly unlikely ] I can thouroughly enjoy myself by watching other wildlife and observing their behaviors. I now know what is meant when someone calls themself a true conservationist. We work to ensure the health of all species keeping in mind the enjoyment and needs of our fellow outdoorsmen. I am looking forward to a life filled with memories made outdoors and hopefully sharing it with a woman who enjoys the same. Once i graduate i'll have a lot more time to focus on chasing game and documenting it on video. I'm sure in the future more of you will become more familiarized with who i am and hopefully you'll see me on video in the near future!!
I look forward to hearing all or yourguys thoughtson the topic weare allso passionate or obsessive about.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What is bowhunting to you?

The first year came to end with no success. My second year hunting got it all started for me.
I can relate to that....lol. I took one shot my first year of hunting.....making about 30 trips afield. I harvested nothing in the first year. I took 5 whitetails, this past season.....my second.

It started out as a way for me to spend more time with my son. I never even intended to hunt whitetails.Myobjective was to shoot some 3D....and hunt turkeys with the bow. I turkey hunted twice, last year.....anddeer hunted 46 times. My objectives changed. I found out that deer hunting was a lot more"technical" than what I had envisioned....and it intrigued me. I sopped everything up like a sponge that I could view/read/listen to pertaining to the pursuit of whitetails.I still look for these things. The first time I went deer hunting.....I just tagged along with my son.....intending on shooting nothing....and not knowing what to do if I did. From that point on.....I became intrigued. I couldn't believe I could actually get close to deer. That's the big thing to me, nowadays. I just like being near them. They're fascinating.

Ilooked at this season a lot differently than I did last year. Next year will bea totally different outlook from this past season. I have a different goal. Now...I'm looking at overall herd health and management (to the extent "I" can make a contribution).

Bowhunting has filled a void in my life left by waterfowl hunting. it's just filledit to overflowing.....and I'm loving it.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to follow through on a dream Brent!
I'll personally look forward to seeing/reading about you in the future.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:53 PM

Bowhunting to me is a never ending learning experince. Each year I have learned something new be it about equipment or the critters I hunt. This year I got my first coyote.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Site Buck Guru

Life.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: KSbowman

I started bowhunting and shooting in archery tourneys in 1998 when i was 15 years old. The first year came to end with no success. My second year hunting got it all started for me. I began to hunt with kshunter who is a longtime (lifelong)highschool friend. My life was changed after that year (1999). I was able to harvest my first deer which happens to be my largest, sporting 17pts and gross scoring over 200"! Every year since then bowhunting has been all about learning. Once out of high school it was off to college. I spent the first year and half taking courses in graphic design and decided that is wasn for me. The only other thing that interested me dealt with hunting and fishing so I started taking biology classes. Since school started finding time to get in the woods became harder and harder. Well here I am 6 years after starting college and This spring I will have my degree in Wildlife Biology!! I couldnt be happier with the path I chose.
Now I can truthfully state that bowhunting to me will be a lifetime of learning and patience. I have come to understand a great deal about the game we chase and the interactions they have with the surrounding taxonomy. You see even if i am in the woods and do not see any whitetail or turkey [which is highly unlikely ] I can thouroughly enjoy myself by watching other wildlife and observing their behaviors. I now know what is meant when someone calls themself a true conservationist. We work to ensure the health of all species keeping in mind the enjoyment and needs of our fellow outdoorsmen. I am looking forward to a life filled with memories made outdoors and hopefully sharing it with a woman who enjoys the same. Once i graduate i'll have a lot more time to focus on chasing game and documenting it on video. I'm sure in the future more of you will become more familiarized with who i am and hopefully you'll see me on video in the near future!!
I look forward to hearing all or yourguys thoughtson the topic weare allso passionate or obsessive about.
Where are you getting your degree? The reason why I ask is because I am a sophomore in high school and I have been considering that path after high school.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

Life.
Amen.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

A way of life.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

bowhunting is everything...duck goose turkerys and carp... all lead to bow season to me its each year becoming that much closer to the one that got away, sharpening skills learning from your mistakes, cold hands and storys
and thats on some real ish ahha
Old 01-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Banned

It consumes me.

Quick Reply: What is bowhunting to you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.