Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scientific test, or scientific marketing... you decide...

Old 01-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scientific test, or scientific marketing... you decide...

ORIGINAL: Canuck_2

All other concerns aside, this procedure does NOT follow acceptable scientific study procedures. The article simply appears to be a poorly disguised advertisement for Grim Reaper and numerous assumptions & poorly thought-out claims are made. I equate this type of advertising to the propaganda animal rights fanatics spread to gain converts.

When a scientific experiment is undertaken, it is not to prove thatyour belief in something is irrefutable. Rather, it is to test whether outcomes either support or do not support your original hypothesis. All variables must be tightly controlled and experimental procedures must be accurately measureable.

I actually saw this article a few days ago and just shook my head. Grim Reapers lost my respect immediately, regardless of whether they have a good product or not.
Although definitely not scientific study, I found the tests interesting. This link is from the HuntingNet home page:

Broadhead Myth Busters: Part 1

It shows them putting bone in some of the gelatin blocks but I am not sure of the results they got.

I look at it like an infomercial. But I can say this, I have field tested the Grim Reaper Razor Cut Broadheads and they were completely devastating on the deer I shot. I had ashot where I was kind ofshootingdown on the deer and hit the deer directly between the shoulder blades where the shoulder blades and spine come together(I know not a recommended shot, I kind of panicked) and the broadhead broke the spine and penetrated into the chest a little. The broadhead held up great and the shot was devastating to say the least. Although not a shot I really want to try again I was very pleased the durability and damage from this broadhead.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that it is a myth. I would never believe what anyone says about broadheads until i try them my self.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

If ballistics gel were designed to test broadheads instead of bullet upset and permanent woundsurrounding the bullets path this "scientific study" may proove to be valid.