Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My Farm/ Hunting Ground

Old 01-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Farm/ Hunting Ground

The orange stars are my suggestions. I also agree with Mobo's choices.

The one in the middle is on a field edge between two bedding areas. In the evening, deer from both bedding areas will funnel into the field. And during mid-day during the rut you might catch a buck cruising between the two bedding areas searching for hot does. The bucks are going to cross the field at the narrowest point during the mid day, which is right where your stand will be.

The orange star on the right is in a good funnel area between the open field and the creek. The deer from SNF will travel this funnel to get onto your farm. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2007, 12:37 AM
Fork Horn

Even though it is hard to tell with just this photo(I am assuming the land is mostly flat or rolling) I have to agree with qzq38b a little more. Especially on the star in between the bedding areas! You should be able to get out there now and look for sign for next season. Look for small changes in elevation around that area (i.e. ditches, swales) and look for trails that already exist. They will probably still be used next season. And if you can afford it, don't be afraid to place numerous stands in the same area. That way you can hunt the same area with different wind directions and different access routes. Just my 2 cents!
Old 01-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Fork Horn

Droptinez, is Rock Rd. a public access or private road? If it is public, you may want to consider moving your "salt block" preference to that area in the northwest corner. The area is secluded nicely and would probably help keep unwanted guests from hunting right on your property line! Your first area seems mighty visable from the road and we all know how easy it is for some people to get tempted! Also you could probably rent the equipment to start a small plot and not spend to much money! Good Luck!!!!
Old 01-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you could park on the road, walk through the nat'l forest to the river, get in your stand about an hour before light, the top orage dot could be dynamite. Set up off the field far back enough to to cover both fingers.