Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Most influential person in archery today

Old 01-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Banned

Default RE: Most influential person in archery today

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

ORIGINAL: isatarak

No one has mentioned Jackie Bushwhacker.
Can he shot a bow?
Yes he can, but it appears he can not havemake babieslike Ted

I have thought about this a lot. If we leave Ted Nugent to carry our torch, well we are in trouble.

I would take a southern Gentleman like Jackie Bushman over Ted anyday of the week.

Does nottake too much smarts to yell and scream like a nut job.

The #1 problem with Ted is why he is busy actling like a 2 year old the message he is trying to comunicateis lost. Does Ted know what he is talking about, Yes.Do we as a group pay attention to his babble? I have met the man 3 times, and sad to say I am just not impressed.

There is a very BIG reason whyJim& Richard(D-i-c-k) Cabela did not want him performing at their stores. Think about it, at 1 point the largest hunting retailstore was 50 miles fromwhere Ted lived. He was never once invited to preform, speak, or even standin the store. How influential can he be?
The bold type is an exact quote from Swoosh on AT. Cabelas stores basically suck anymore. Overpriced products and very few great deals to be found. Now they run ads in IA publications encouraging landowners to sell their timbers to them so they can sell land to wealthy out of state hunters. I don't do business with Cabelas much anymore. Gander Mountain, Sportsmans Warehouse, Gray Wolf Woolens, and my local proshops get my money. If I was Ted, I wouldn't want tospeak there.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

If those are your criteria, then I wholeheartedly suggest Ted Nugent.
He is constantly active in bringing about change for our hunting rights. He believes in hands on conservation. He runs a non-profit organization for kids. He is always giving of himself to help other either learn about hunting or becoming a better hunter. Most people find him harsh. That's only because he's not politically correct...boo hoo. lol He tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat it.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: isatarak

No one has mentioned Jackie Bushwhacker.
Can he shot a bow?
Yes he can, but it appears he can not havemake babieslike Ted

I have thought about this a lot. If we leave Ted Nugent to carry our torch, well we are in trouble.

I would take a southern Gentleman like Jackie Bushman over Ted anyday of the week.

Does nottake too much smarts to yell and scream like a nut job.

The #1 problem with Ted is why he is busy actling like a 2 year old the message he is trying to comunicateis lost. Does Ted know what he is talking about, Yes.Do we as a group pay attention to his babble? I have met the man 3 times, and sad to say I am just not impressed.

There is a very BIG reason whyJim& Richard(D-i-c-k) Cabela did not want him performing at their stores. Think about it, at 1 point the largest hunting retailstore was 50 miles fromwhere Ted lived. He was never once invited to preform, speak, or even standin the store. How influential can he be?
The bold type is an exact quote from Swoosh on AT. Cabelas stores basically suck anymore. Overpriced products and very few great deals to be found. Now they run ads in IA publications encouraging landowners to sell their timbers to them so they can sell land to wealthy out of state hunters. I don't do business with Cabelas much anymore. Gander Mountain, Sportsmans Warehouse, Gray Wolf Woolens, and my local proshops get my money. If I was Ted, I wouldn't want tospeak there.
But I wrote here first[8D], and pasted it ove there, LOL

I am talking about 7 years ago, I pretty much do not shop their either. I was always impressed with the class Jim and Richard Cabela had. Think about how many people Cabela's have brought back into hunting. Their stores do inspire you to want to hunt, atleast they do me.

Ted came in many times to shop, I even help him, well his wife
Old 01-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Most casual and even many serious hunters or archers don't even know who started Mathews or Bowtech or really just don't care.
That has nothing to do with whether or not their bows....the bow industry....or the popularity of bowhunting and target shooting were INFLUENCED, or not. The question was who is the most influential person. It wasn't....WHo's the most famous.

Matt McPherson's Archery in the schools program influences thousands of children every year. His contributions to the design of bows over the years affects ALL companies.

He don't have to be famous to be influential. Ask a kid who invented the computer he's using at school. If he doesn't know Bill Gates.....does that make Bill NON-influential???

I don't think so.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Mathew McPherson IMO he change the way we look at bows!!
If we are talking about bow innovations in recent times (last 5 years), despite the soap opera surrounding all of it I would have to say that Strasheim and Strother have had a bigger impact than McPherson. I respect the heck out of bowtech and what they have done with a relatively new company in the last couple years. I wish we could see them cater more towards the target archery market (not where the $$$ is for them) but what they have brought for the masses in the hunting bow industry has had great impact compared to others in recent times.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would say the Program Directors at the Outdoor Channel and related Hunting stations. The shows that they allow to air either portray us in a good light or destroy our credability. Show must be scrutinized to weed out the shows such as Jimmy Houston shooting fenced deer and the like.

If the network is going to air hunting shows they need to have a network rep along to protect themeselves & us and the viewingpublic from getting scripted shows based soley on the kill shot, regardless of chase method.

If they wish to be a "hunting" network then the owe a dept to protect the heritage and tradition that "we the hunters" hold ourselves and others too!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:16 AM

Man it is hard to put a name to the most influencial bowhunter. I would have to pick a hand full of them like Fred Bear, Ted Nuggent, Chuck Adams, the Pope and Young guys, and many of the familiar faces on TV that inspire us to not give up on finding the Monster buck.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

dan this is a very good question!!

Who is the most influential, Not know person in bowhunting.

We have a lot of good people in our sport and that is a postive!!

I would like to make an EDIT:

After PM HCH I thought who really is the most influential person or persons.

I am going to say Tiffany and Cindy Garrison Why, because my daughter loves to watch these woman hunt. Yes I sit down and we watch the show every week. Why, because I want her to see women hunting. I want them to show her you can be a lady and hunt. If there is one group that can make us or break us it is the ladies IMO. I know I will catch some slack, but those with daughters I hope get my point.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im leaning toward the Martin archery girl[8D]
Dan
Old 01-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most influencial in archery today? JM2C

Today's literature, from a writing perspective on bowhunting whitetails, Jeff Miller is probably as complete as any, he has a lot of experience with varying habitats. Other writers for other hunting disciplines for example Cameron Hanesof Eastman's for western mule deer bowhunting.

Today's media, The Outdoor Channel itself and all of its archerybased shows. They seem to be very influential on the younger crowd.

Today's outfitter, Cabelas is the most influencial.

Quick Reply: Most influential person in archery today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.