Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GPS suggestions?

Old 01-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default GPS suggestions?

I've been researching GPS units for a couple of months and can't really decide on what to buy. I don't mind spending the money to get a good one.Anyone have any suggestions of which models to look at or which options you've learned to like or dislike? I'll be using it for marking structure on lakes for fishingand for marking small water holesandother locationsin therockies when I hunt Elk & Mule deer.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:20 PM

Default RE: GPS suggestions?

I'm not sure how extravigant you wanna get, by I have a Garmin Etrex.......it's pretty basic but it keeps me from getting lost.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haha. At this point I don't really care, I just want it to be quality and not be way behind the times.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:46 PM

Myself and a bunch of my buddies and brothers have Garmin RINO 530s. They are very easy to use, have 2 way radios, weather radio, color screen, topo maps, and a ton of other functions. I would highly recommend looking at them.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:05 PM

I have a LOWRANCE i Finider Expedition C, Had a garmin Explorist 400 before. I I finder is much better, about twiace as expensive but I can load topo maps and crate my trail on topo sofware befroe ever getting in the woods. I also plan on putting all of my scouting info on it and uploading to my topo map so I can get a more accurate idea of what the game is doing. Teh i Finder is a 16 channel GPS reciever that I think is unmached due to the price. They also have the LOERANCE i Finder Hunter but you pay about 100 more for camo and hunting icons, not that big of a deal for me, I can take voice notes as I make a waypoin. Good luck in finding a good one, there is alot out there. Be sure that battery life fits your needs. My garmin only lasted 4 hrs. and it was a rechargeable battry, my new LOWRANCE last about 12 hrs, w/ backlighting and color on 2 double A batteries. Again, good luck, it's tuff makeing that decision and spending that kind of money.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I'm still checking them out... I'll let ya know what I decide.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:28 PM

Speaking of battery life. I have had the RINO 530 on for over 24 hours and have not killed the battery. It is a rechargable and I have never seen one last that long.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

I have the Garmin Legend and it's been good to me. However, I think my next one will have a few more bells and whistles. I see no reason to leave Garmin but will probably upgrade before the fall to something likethe Vista CX.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just got a Magellan Explorist 500. It was $170. Can't beat that price for a color unit. I had it with me today doing post season scouting. I have all rubs and scrapes marked on my property. Can't wait to transfer all of them to an aerial and see what I've got. I have no complaints about the unit. It has great signal and is easy to use.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

I have an e-trex, it gets the job done, but if I had it to do over i would get one that is easier to operate..and has a compass built in.

Quick Reply: GPS suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.