Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mid-day buck activity observations??

Old 02-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mid-day buck activity observations??

The only time I hunt middayis during the first in bound cold front or during the rut or late winter.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mid-day buck activity observations??

Two out of the last three years I have seen bucks with a doe cornered in a brushy ditch that extends out into a field on the farm I hunt in IL. The first was a nice 8 pt 130 class. I tried to sneak up on them but only got to within 50 yards and got busted. He also had a little forky he kept running off. This was about 10:30.

The second was around noon. This was a real bruiser chasing a doe in and out of the ditch. She just wasn't ready but he wouldn't take no for an answer. They ended up running across the field. Both of these happened the second week of Nov.

This ditch is just a grown up waterway with brush, blackberries and a few sapplings. But the does like to bed there. So the bucks pay it a visit now and then. I was going to sit there this year during the rut, but I got my buck on opening day.

I also see a lot of movement throughout the year from8:00-10:00 in these woods. The deer don't have well defined bedding areas here. It is a real thick woods, so they bed in a lot of different places. I think I may be seeing them moving from an early morning bed to a midday bed. Or they could just be taking their time finding a bed, since I do hunt mostly deeper in the woods instead of on the edge of fields.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Daytime buck activity observations??

if i have a place i hunt in the middle of the day i still get there before daylight , but have seen and killed bucks between the hours of 11- 3 in the day if they are cruising or chasing they can appear anywhere but i always concentrate on the does bedding areas or close to thicket edges